Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Canon 50mm Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 50mm Lenses

Hi
    I have been looking at the Canon 50mm lenses today and am confused between the two, not sure which is best.

I am looking at the Canon EF 5Omm F1.4 $549.00 and the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 $118.00, not sure why there is such a price difference between the two.

Would love to hear from anyone using the 50mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 1.8 is a good, cheap unit.

But, it is very 'plastic-y'
    You wont get as good background blur
    The overall IQ is not as good.

But, for the price, it is great.... unless you want pro grade equip
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Formerly user: Arzuhl
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the f1.8 but as stated it did have great IQ but it does feel REALLY CHEAP. I wanted another 50mm to replace the 1.8 as i could not get used to the cheap feel of it and the other alternative was the f1.4, great IQ and built a lot better than the 1.8. What worried me with htis lens was the reports of failure with the micro drive, so much so that the lens had to be basically babied so that you didnt ruin the drive. So the only other Canon alternative was the f1.2, what a great lens, built like a tank, bokeh to die for and stopped down.........really sharp pics. Unfortunately the f1.2 does not come cheap but if you are looking for a lens you will keep for a long time (and you will when you see the amazing images that this lens produces) you will forget about the cost of the lens and just enjoy the lens for the fine piece of glass that it is. Don't forget E-bay, there are some good bargins on this lens to be had if one comes up.
    Cheers and I hope this helps.
    Cameras: Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D gripped.
    Lenses: 24mmmm f1.4 L, 24-105mm f4 L, 50mm f1.2 L, 85mm f1.2 II L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II
    Flash: Canon 600 EX RT.
    Tripod: Manfrotto 190CX Pro3, Manfrotto Automatic Monopod, Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head.
    Bank Manager: Unhappy.