User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cobber! Classic Aussie words we still use?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unlike you lot, I don not torture the queens english!

you know I was saying crickey well before steve irwin and when he died i resented feeling guilty for saying it. it was a weird time... or maybe i am just a weird person

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Strike me lucky, or pink, Pete, yer on the dough! Yeah, since I discovered Hogan on Willisee it's given me a whole new butchers at the lingo we were losin'.
    Blimey cobber, words fly out of you like blowies from a dead dingo's carcass.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Drongo" - mainly because there seems to be a fair few of them about. Perhaps the reason behind the dwindling use of Aussie lingo is because it's just "not cool" for some people to use it. A lot of it has become replaced with "Americanisms", particularly among today's youth who would rather use those than "old fogies" language.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Blimey cobber, words fly out of you like blowies from a dead dingo's carcass.
    Sorry, mate. I was in the dunny and it was either wizz or squizz!
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chonks, Who can remember using that word and what it means.
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    Chonks, Who can remember using that word and what it means.
    You'd be floggin' a dead horse with me on that one, mate! Maybe some of yer fellow Mex's would have a clue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im a pom thats been here for 22 years of my 45 total on the planet....im very near to being a half Aussie.....I still have a london accent that been watered down with the aussie vernacular...I use the following phrases to make my self understood....LMAO

shell be right
    no worries
    am I in yer road
    Dinkum..{ not very often using fair }
    cobber
    crikey mate
    mate...to women and blokes
    blokes
    Sheila { casue the missus hates it }

.but I still use ....sky for pocket...boat for face ..whistle for suit... etc etc, old habits die hard
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 05-06-2011 at 3:00pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sell the sheep station Kym, isn this page ear for cameras and fillum and stuff
    Waiting on a train

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I also use the Tasmanian only one "Rum'un". Calling someone a Rum'un is to call them stupid, idiot..etc in a lighthearted way.
    My parents use that expression all the time. But then, that might just be because they come from Devonport and Sheffield! But I'm surprised to hear someone of your generation using it - my folks are 80-odd.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    You'd be floggin' a dead horse with me on that one, mate! Maybe some of yer fellow Mex's would have a clue.
    Gday Wazz Chonks is what we used to call Lollies, Hmm maybe its just a word that the locals used 40 years ago
    Have any other AP members heard of it
    Last edited by Duane Pipe; 06-06-2011 at 11:12am.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair crack at the chicko roll mate!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Kevin Rudd's attempt at aussie slang (Fair shake of the sauce bottle mate) It should have been fair suck of the sauce bottle

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    I also use the Tasmanian only one "Rum'un". Calling someone a Rum'un is to call them stupid, idiot..etc in a lighthearted way.
    My parents use that expression all the time. But then, that might just be because they come from Devonport and Sheffield! But I'm surprised to hear someone of your generation using it - my folks are 80-odd.
    Maybe it goes back to the Rum Corps who were sent out here to guard the convicts. They were paid in rum and apparently drank most of their wages which would make them stupid idiots, not necessarily in a nice way though.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, anyone I don't know is Old mate, you know like old mate down the road that let me onto his property to take photos.. i still say gday, fair dinkum, as low as a snakes belly, and as water tight as a ducks ar$e, all the fellas up at dad's pub are "bloke" cause I don't know them.. meet them and then from then on it's " howyagoinbloke" when I see them again. I guess I use aussie slang a lot more than I realise
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vietnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strewth (struth), crikey (long before I had even heard of Steve Irwin). G'day, mate, bloke. fair crack of the whip, stone the crows.
    What really annoys me are terms such as guy, wildfire - when they really mean bushfire (even if it is out of control) and the (almost) epitome of Americanisation.....(note that there is no Z in that in accordance with our spelling rules!)..... the use of the letter Zee instead of the correct Zed. The other day while I was having a morning coffee, my wife was watching the Today show (!) when one of the hosts (an Aussie) used the term 'Zeebra'. Being early morning and I hadn't finished my first caffeine hit, so I was not in a 'generous' mood, I sent of a rather terse email to the station pointing out that if the host wished to use American words then perhaps he should consider moving to the US but that failing that suggestion could he please use the correct term of 'Zebra' next time...needless to say I did not get a reply! The use of the letter 'Zee' seems to be becoming more prevalent...I caught a bloke (mid 20s') at work a few months ago spelling a word (can't remember what it was now) and using the letter 'Zee'. When I asked why he used that instead of 'Zed', he said everyone uses it! (even though he confessed that in school he learnt that the last letter of the alphabet was pronounced 'Zed'!). This makes me think that once the younger generation get to be the 'oldies' that the Americanisation of Australia will be complete!
    I have also sent numerous emails to Sky News for their consistent use of the terms 'wildfire', 'hurricane' (when they really meant Tropical Cyclone (when referring to these storms effecting Australia)) and 'shopping malls'....maybe things have changed, but I was under the impression that a group of shops in Australia was called a shopping centre and not a shopping mall.
    Ahhh.....maybe there is no future of pride in being an Aussie.....or maybe I am just becoming a grumpy old man!
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you been reading my book?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one I hate the most is "Matey". I don't mind Mate, buddy or pal, but matey sounds like someone being sarcastic.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer51 View Post
    the (almost) epitome of Americanisation.....(note that there is no Z in that in accordance with our spelling rules!)..... the use of the letter Zee instead of the correct Zed.
    Despite coming to Australia at the age of 3 and being taught at school to use "zed", I'm afraid the Australian school system was no match for ... Sesame Street!!! I remember loving that show and faithfully imitating everything they said, and to this day I still say "zee"! Sorry!
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez ya all are talkin' like Orstraalians......fair suck of the sav.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12