User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ah, the old argument strikes again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, the old argument strikes again!

Sorry I haven't been around for a while chaps, but in exciting news I have recently acquired Lightroom 3 an so can finally get on with organizing and PPing the photos I've been taking from all your advice! I have some pics I'm exited about so watch this space!

The point if this thread however is that I feel I have finally reached my limits with my 4/3 gear and Olympus camera. It's been a fun ride and a great introduction to photography, but I'm already exasperating at the poor Performance at low-light, the sluggish AF and the slim dynamic range, SO, time for a new camera...

My research and budget to date have brought me to two cameras; the Canon 7D and the Nikon D7000. I'm thinking the Nikon has the slight edge with regard AF and low light, but the Canon does seem a lot more popular and I hear better things about their lenses.

Whichever I choose I will probably stick with that brand for life (ish) and intend buying full-frame glass even though they're both APS-C bodies to future proof the heady days of being able to afford a full-frame body.

So, Canon or Nikon...any thoughts?!
    Andy

Nikon D7000, 70-200mm (newly obtained...no pictures up shot with it yet)
    Olympus E-420, 14-42mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 (shutter has died on this one )

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either one and don't look back. Canon and Nikon are both good brands and have a good selection in lens.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of photography ar you aspiring to ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go into a dealer and try them both and whichever feels "comfortable" in your hands then I would go with that one.
    I chose Canon because I had used Canon for years and the 50D felt right for me.
    As has been already been said, when you make your decision don't look back just go with what you choose.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a shop and try them both out and then buy the one that feels most comfortable and has the controls where you like them.

I just got beaten off the mark. Good advise above.
    Last edited by Darey; 03-06-2011 at 10:41pm.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Gee View Post
    whichever feels "comfortable" in your hands
    Quote Originally Posted by Darey View Post
    buy the one that feels most comfortable and has the controls where you like them.
    With respect people, I think this is terrible advice! Unfortunately, there will doubtless be another 8 people along in this thread to repeat it.

1: Camera bodies change regularly. Controls move around from time to time, new controls get added, models replace other models - so you might like the Canikon today, but the next time you upgrade your body you might think the Ninon is better. And you will upgrade your body.

2: Camera controls are like the controls on your car. It doesn't really matter if the headlight switch is on the left or on the right, all that matters is that it is where you expect it. So if you drive Hoyotas for five years, Hoyotas will "feel right" and Toldens will "feel wrong". But buy a Tolden and inside three weeks you will feel right at home. Yes, your chosen camera brand will "feel right" a few weeks after you buy it - but that will happen regardless of what brand you buy because it has very little to do with the camera and everything to do with your own muscle memory.

3: The minor spec differences between today's Ninon and today's Canikon are just that: minor, trivial even. Either one will take great pictures.

4: Lenses matter. Not only do lenses contribute more to image quality, they go on contributing long after an individual body has been retired. You might have an individual lens for 10, 20, 30 years, and you will be operating with either the Ninon or the Canikon lens system for even longer than that. Forget the camera body, and don't even pay too much attention to the particular current range of lenses in the ranges you want to buy - look at the overall lens system you are buying into.

Make yourself a wish list, include lenses you plan to buy right away, ones you plan on buying in (say) two years time, and lenses you think that you will probably buy eventually.

Then compare. Look at availability (do they make it at all?), prices (be sure to compare on a similar baseline, such as getting all prices from the same example retailer, and quality (you will have to go on general reputation, which is usually not too far out). Score points to Canikon, points to Ninon. Work out how much it will cost you to do the sort of photography you plan to do over, say, 10 years. Try to be realistic with your lists - i.e., don't bother comparing stuff you probably won't actually buy.

Then decide.

And enjoy!
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone...plenty to think about, and I actually have friends who use the 7D and who use the D90 (near enough to the D7000) so I'm hoping they'll let me roadtest their gear for a short while if I ask nicely

@Darren; Alas my muse is nature, and that (for me) encompasses everything from a grand vista, to birds in flight and wild animals, to macros of flora and funghi so I'm looking for a camera that can do it all! Isn't everyone? I'm also quite partial to astro and night photography although my attempts at this have been pretty poor, but I hope to get better.

@ Tony; thanks for the advice Tony, I'm starting with the idea of a 105mm macro lens for macros and portraits, a wide (or wide zoom) for landscapes and a decent telephoto to get animals at long range. The last one being fast-ish (say f/2.8) to capture birds in flight and all of them to be versatile and rugged to stand being taken bush a lot. A tall order? I'm researching at the moment, and will see how I go.

Thanks again for all your input so far guys; much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If youre going to want lenses 400mm+ then canon is by far the cheaper route

If you want a general purpose all-purpose kit then Nikon I think have better higher end bodies and af and iso handling

Not much in it though

Go with either and you can't really go wrong. Reviews I've seen of d7000 vs canon 60 give it to the Nikon.....just

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kiwi, the long lens I was thinking about is actually a Sigma anyway, so shouldn't matter too much on the cost front. Speaking of which, has anyone heard about problems with third party lenses on either system?

Also, I had noticed most reviewers compare the D7000 to the 60D, and consider the 7D of higher grade than the 60D, however I can't see much between the 7D and D7000...anyone know of a reason why the D7000 and 7D are rarely compared? Am I missing something? Or are the 60D and 7D closer than I think?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory, 7D competes with the D200/D300/D300s line, perhaps sits a little above it.

D7000 is directly equivalent to the old 50D, and superior to the 60D. (60D is newer and higher tech, but nevertheless a build quality downgrade from the 20D/30D/40D/50D tradition. They did this to make it cheaper and more directly competitive with the D90-class Nikons, something Canon were able to do because of the 7D - and indeed pretty much required to do because a "traditional" metal body 60D would have been too close to the 7D. But things are even more confusing because Nikon have up-speced the D7000 and it isn't really a "new D90", it's a big step up from there.

Are you feeling totally confused?

If your answer is "yes" then that is OK. So am I.

If your answer is "no", you are having comprehension difficulties. Go back and re-read my post until you do feel confused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon or Nikon?

Probably not much difference in reality.

But, of course, if you go Canon, your children will be better looking, your boss will give you a pay rise and you'll increase your overall sex-appeal.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    Canon or Nikon?

Probably not much difference in reality.

But, of course, if you go Canon, your children will be better looking, your boss will give you a pay rise and you'll increase your overall sex-appeal.

Scotty
    Straight up lies and propaganda, except for the better looking kids bit (still not sure how my two didn't end up with heads like dropped pies)
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha...cheers Tannin, that's all so clear now!

I could probably do with the pay rise, so I may have to go Canon...mmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think outside the square............Pentax!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Nikon d90 and love it BUT I now have a huge problem because I was a telephoto lens and Nikon's are incredibly expensive...so much so that I am actually looking at buying a second camera so that I can use a canon telephoto!! Tony has given me great advice in this..so..if birding is one of the things you are wanting to get into..check your finances! (or have a look at my thread..Is this a Good Idea) for some more advice on this area. Good luck!.)
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At State of origin I in Brisvegas i counted the pro togs and the Canon users out numbered the nikon easily by a margin of 10 to 1.... something to think about when many more pros are using the canon i guess

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah Ricstew, I thought outside the box last time which is how I ended up with Olympus...think I may stay inside in this one ;-) lol.

And Chris, I'm afraid I can't remember why (must look it up) but during my reading so far apparently it's pretty well known that sports togs are big Canon fans. For some reason (maybe it's the cheaper fast telephotos?) most of these go Canon over Nikon. I met a pro travel and nature tog (Nat geo) the other day who shoots Nikon so I'm back to being on the fence again. Lol

Thanks to everyone fr their input, will keep looking at lenses and take each out for a test run and see how I go.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, nikon sport shooters are on the rise, news Ltd changed over but there's a big historical investment, I still rate the d3 series as the best sports bodies currently. 3 years ago you'd see none, now at some events it's 50/50

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the old maxim? (I'll probably mangle this up)

'If you want to photograph a riot, use Nikon: If you want to photograph individual rioters, use a Canon.'

I guess that gels with the comment above about sports / nature photographers and what the tend to use.

Scotty

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nikon rules...

thats what we want to hear isnt it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast