Thread: Could it really be this cheap?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could it really be this cheap?

Hi all,

I started a thread a while ago about the 5D MKII, and was suggested the 7D for a few reasons. Anyway, I've decided to get a 7D and am currently shopping around.

http://www.canon.com.au/en-au/For-Yo...SLR-Cameras/7D

I've read that grey market lenses are covered by an international warranty, but bodies are not, so I am thinking of buying my body in Australia and get a grey lens.

But... The grey market prices are confusing me, and some of the sites don't make me feel very confident. The prices are very low, but it's making me worried about what I'm getting for that. Can anyone confirm that there are no differences between the following?

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod6341.htm
    and
    http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com...is-lenses.html

There's no differences from what I can see, just looking for some reassurance that I'm not missing a feature or a pitfall in grey market lenses.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $420 is a big saving , But how come ? I'll be interested as well
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too big of a price difference and too good to be true, digital camera warehouse is well known but I have never heard of the latter....However, I had a look at their other products, and they are in accordance with grey-import pricing. Could be a website typo with the cheap price for the lens you posted as I have seen on some sites in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my 7D through digital camera warehouse, and took extended 5 year (factory + 4yrs) warranty option .... would buy lens's grey, but never a body.

I know people who have bought lens's through eglobal with out a problem, but postage can be expensive, and then difference between local "grey" (e.g. DDP) prices is then minimal.

If you are ever looking at a unknown seller google "seller's name" reveiw and read what comes up.

Cheers
    Last edited by davearnold; 03-06-2011 at 1:30pm.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I just say Fedgrub, That the lens you have posted here is not of a high enough standard to go with a 7D. I just sold one of these lenses, 2nd hand, and would rate it as a kit lens.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyones feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by PH005 View Post
    Can I just say Fedgrub, That the lens you have posted here is not of a high enough standard to go with a 7D. I just sold one of these lenses, 2nd hand, and would rate it as a kit lens.
    Good point. I am only looking at this one because it is a kit lens, and it will be cheaper to import it to go with my 7D body to complete what I would otherwise buy as a whole package from DCW. Which lens would you recommend?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nothing wrong with grey gear, but i havent used eglobal before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought most of my camera equipment, including bodies, lenses, flashes, filters etc through grey marketers, and every piece has been perfect.

The savings are huge, so you can buy even more stuff!

As a matter of fact, on Monday, I ordered a genuine battery grip for my Canon 60D from a grey marketeer and paid only $143.87 (including freight) and DCW sells them for $236.00.
    A substantial saving!
    I received it today and have just tried it out, and it seems to be perfect too.
    Defintely is the real deal, as the box and instructions and warranty card are all ridgy-didge.

The companies I mainly use are Top Buy and Dino Direct, but there are many others out there too.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedgrub View Post
    Thanks for everyones feedback.

Good point. I am only looking at this one because it is a kit lens, and it will be cheaper to import it to go with my 7D body to complete what I would otherwise buy as a whole package from DCW. Which lens would you recommend?
    By the way, The 18-135 is not a USM lens either. As a walkabout for the 7D ? The 24-105 F4L would be a nice start . The debates on lenses are long and many.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I've bought most of my camera equipment, including bodies, lenses, flashes, filters etc through grey marketers, and every piece has been perfect.

The savings are huge, so you can buy even more stuff!

As a matter of fact, on Monday, I ordered a genuine battery grip for my Canon 60D from a grey marketeer and paid only $143.87 (including freight) and DCW sells them for $236.00.
    A substantial saving!
    I received it today and have just tried it out, and it seems to be perfect too.
    Defintely is the real deal, as the box and instructions and warranty card are all ridgy-didge.

The companies I mainly use are Top Buy and Dino Direct, but there are many others out there too.
    Thanks for the recommendations!

By the way, The 18-135 is not a USM lens either. As a walkabout for the 7D ? The 24-105 F4L would be a nice start . The debates on lenses are long and many.
    Just read a couple of reviews, it looks good but expensive. Totally missed it being a USM. I'm used to clunky focusing sounds from my 18-105mm nikkor lens so I guess that part wouldn't bother me too much. Maybe one day I can afford that beast!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big price difference hey. The site I often frequent and one I bought my 7D amongst other things from is Digital World International. They have the lens you ask about here for $329 so it seems to me Digital Camera Warehouse is over the odds on this one. I bought my 70-200/2.8IS from DCW and picked it up in Melbourne, they were priced quite well. Ironically it is the only part of my equipment I have bought in Australia retail, and I had issues with it and had to send it back! To their credit they had it fixed and it is now my favourite lens.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just out of curiousity, have you ever tried to get your local shop to give you a good bargain?
    I don't know if i was lucky or not... but when i was shopping for my 105mm... i went to all the shops that i knew about to enquire about pricing... after going to a few of them... i finally stopped at this particular shop in the city...
    i told them that another shop was offering me at a lower price... the guy after thinking for a bit... decided to beat that price... and i ended up saving close to $200.
    So i don't know if it's worth you trying? So you don't have to get grey imports?

Nikon D700 in all it's glory!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about a 17-85, it's got IS and USM, these can be had for a good price new and 2nd hand on ebay.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    Big price difference hey. The site I often frequent and one I bought my 7D amongst other things from is Digital World International. They have the lens you ask about here for $329 so it seems to me Digital Camera Warehouse is over the odds on this one. I bought my 70-200/2.8IS from DCW and picked it up in Melbourne, they were priced quite well. Ironically it is the only part of my equipment I have bought in Australia retail, and I had issues with it and had to send it back! To their credit they had it fixed and it is now my favourite lens.
    +1 for Digital World International. I purchased my 70-200 from them and it was great service. Bought my 7D locally when it was on sale at Hardly Normal on 40 months interest free.
    Andrew

Mostly Canon gear

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallfooties View Post
    just out of curiousity, have you ever tried to get your local shop to give you a good bargain?
    I don't know if i was lucky or not... but when i was shopping for my 105mm... i went to all the shops that i knew about to enquire about pricing... after going to a few of them... i finally stopped at this particular shop in the city...
    i told them that another shop was offering me at a lower price... the guy after thinking for a bit... decided to beat that price... and i ended up saving close to $200.
    So i don't know if it's worth you trying? So you don't have to get grey imports?
    I asked DCW for a cheaper price, and it was a firm no. I haven't tried Teds or Camera House yet. There is a small store in the Brisbane CBD that I want to try too.

Quote Originally Posted by dulvariprestige View Post
    Have you thought about a 17-85, it's got IS and USM, these can be had for a good price new and 2nd hand on ebay.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    +1 for Digital World International. I purchased my 70-200 from them and it was great service. Bought my 7D locally when it was on sale at Hardly Normal on 40 months interest free.
    Nice, I will check out DWI. I was thinking of getting it from Harvey Norman on their interest free too. Were they happy to price match it? They're always heaps more expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fedgrub. Try out Photo Continental on Logan Rd, Upper Mt Gravatt. I bought a lens off them a while back and they matched the DWI price. It was quite a saving. Just let them know exactly what you want, and the best price that you can get it for online. They will ring you back with their price. I found them very good to deal with.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fedgrub. Try out Photo Continental on Logan Rd, Upper Mt Gravatt. I bought a lens off them a while back and they matched the DWI price. It was quite a saving. Just let them know exactly what you want, and the best price that you can get it for online. They will ring you back with their price. I found them very good to deal with.
    Wow, that's great. It's a bit of a drive, but if they can meet the online price, it would definitely be worth it. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, I will check out DWI. I was thinking of getting it from Harvey Norman on their interest free too. Were they happy to price match it? They're always heaps more expensive.[/QUOTE]

No price match as it was already on special at quite a good price. I did get them to throw a memory card in though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dulvariprestige View Post
    If I were you I'd steer clear of the 17-85.
    They can develop a known fault where they hunt for focus and bring up the generic Err01 or Err99 message.
    It typically occurs at wider focal lengths with the aperture wide open.
    Mine developed the problem 14 months ago.
    A trip to Canon service cost me $300 to have it repaired.
    The problem is now back again, and I'm not planning on wasting any more money on it.
    Canon couldn't care less, so now I'm stuck with a 50-85 f5.6 IS USM manual focus brick!!!!
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty certain the 18-135mm is sold as a kit lens with some models of Canon. If this is a debundled kit-lens, then the price is plausable for a grey market lens.

The price at DCW will be for the same item when sold as a separate.

I have never heard of eGlobal, but if you can pay by credit card, you shouldn't have any problems as you would be able to get your money back if your lens doesn't turn up. If you have to pay by bank transfer or some other method, I would look for alternative suplliers.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast