Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  118
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Banning live stock export-

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i watch the news on TV, read articles on line, etc just like everyone else... for a while there we were seen as a racist nation by alot of ppl. eve more recently we had problems with indian students.... you dont remember any of this?

here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violenc...ia_controversy
    interesting reading on how indian media started a smear campaign against australia based on what they thought was racial violence.

what i am saying is that the actions of a few has condemned all.
    Last edited by ving; 12-06-2011 at 12:12pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant, how do you figure we are not a racist nation?
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More interestingly, how do you figure we are?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummmm.

Well, there is the Cronulla incident.

There was the fact that Pauline Hanson (whose major policy seemed to be based on ethnic exclusion) gained a frightening level of support (esp in Qld)

The continuing inequity between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians. Particularly how they are treated if minerals are found on their land.

The race between Gillard and Abbott to make daemons of refugees.

As stated in this thread, the rush to daemonize Indonesians for their inhuman-ness (rather than take responsibility for us allowing it to occur)

The race to condemn Indonesia and paint them as unjust monsters (to whip up racism) when one of us decides to run drugs on their soil.

Our unjustified fear of the rise of China as too powerful (why never the same fear of the far more powerful USofA?)

the list goes on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that's not all people, which is what I think Ving was actually getting at. Once again, not a majority, but a minority.

The unfortunate truth is the minority tend to have the loudest voice, and demand to be heard.

Media publications write articles/show reports, doco's, etc. that will sell...and as such, despite the Journalism 'rules' will slant a story to a political agenda or some other such garbage. I guess at the end of the day, it's up to a discerning individual to figure out if these media publications are actually giving an unbiased view...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sezzy View Post
    But that's not all people, which is what I think Ving was actually getting at. Once again, not a majority, but a minority.

The unfortunate truth is the minority tend to have the loudest voice, and demand to be heard.

Media publications write articles/show reports, doco's, etc. that will sell...and as such, despite the Journalism 'rules' will slant a story to a political agenda or some other such garbage. I guess at the end of the day, it's up to a discerning individual to figure out if these media publications are actually giving an unbiased view...
    I'm not sure that, for some of these at least, it is a minority. Clearly Gillard and Abbott are desperately trying to pander to what they see as the popular political sentiment.

There was also a large outcry when Corby was going through her trial - the talkback radio jocks and newspapers were full of 'anti-Indonesian' sentiment. Not sure if it was the majority but, it was a large slice of the population.

Our media's non-coverage of the great Pakistani floods of last year (one of the worst natural disasters ever) was a disgrace: especially when contrast to the mega coverage of a US tornado which is minuscule in comparison. Before you blame the media, SBS did cover it - but who watches that ethnic stuff anyway, right?

Or, the wave of suspicion / fear of Muslims for the terrible crime of 'being a Muslim' - because, if you're a Muslim, you must support terrorism. (Should I point out my extreme use of sarcastic irony? Just in case - THAT WAS IRONY!).

Or even our occasional surge of anti-Americanism... Let's test. 'Color' 'Aluminum' 'Sydney Harbor'. Usually enough to send many an Aussie pink with rage.

Scotty

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once again media sensationalism and scare tactics run riot.... we are not all like this.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed - the arguments are circular. No one is likely to shift position because of them.

Sadly, we have media driven politics with little regard to facts.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789