User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: stop down metering /that little green button

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop down metering /that little green button

Hi all.......I was wondering if anyone had a good link or explanation of stop down metering. I have bought some extension tubes for the K5....the Pentax ones with the single contact pin........struggle struggle
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've Never even heard that term I'm sorry
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Jan, Same as Ving/Darren, But , Had a Google http://www.kallepahajoki.net/2009/07...pentax-lenses/ Maybe this will help - Bill
    Last edited by William; 01-06-2011 at 7:17pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copied this from an article I had on file:

"On film cameras, the "A" setting on the aperture ring of Pentax lenses permits shutter-preferred autoexposure and program autoexposure. With Pentax's digital SLR's, lenses that lack the "A" setting require that the photographer use stop-down metering.

Pentax provides quasi-automation of this with the "Green Button" feature: Pressing the Green Button (or AF button on some models) momentarily stops down the lens diaphragm and automatically sets the correct shutter speed using the Program autoexposure line and center-weighted metering. This requires that you change the default settings of your camera (through the custom menu) to allow the shutter to fire with a lens off its "A" setting. (See your owner's manual for details.)

Spot metering and multi-segment metering are not available when using lenses that lack the "A" setting."

Because your extension tubes only have the 1 pin any lens you use need to be treated as a non "A" lens - that us to use the aperture ring manually.

The green button will simply work out the best shutter speed for the light available.

Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that does help thanks Kevin.......I also googled and have worked out that the pin is just a locking pin...so that changes my A lenses to non A lenses......but what happens when I want to do something that the camera doesn't......if I want to change the amount of light......I am restricted to changing the aperture by the aperture ring and/or iso? In M mode can I change the shutter speed as well ?
    So if I cant see thru the view finder at f22 but that is the f stop I want to use ( I dunno for some reason or other ) I focus at say f2 and then change the fstop back to 22? and pray I haven't jiggled the focus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further to Kevin's post, once upon a time to use through the lens exposure metering you had to push a button to stop the lens down to the chosen aperture and adjust the shutter speed until the needles matched or the needle was in the circle or whatever system the camera used. Sometime in the late 70's I think along with aperture priority metering, the camera sensed what aperture was being used and adjusted the shutter speed with the lens remaining wide open. Although if I remember correctly many cameras still allowed you to stop the lens down to get a depth of field preview.
    Warren
    Last edited by Wazza999; 01-06-2011 at 11:37pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spot on Wazza999, that's how my spotmatic operates
    K7, Pentax DA35Ltd, DA70Ltd, DA18-55WR, DA50-200WR, SMC-K 400f5.6; Sigma 8-16mm; Super TakumarM42 20f4.5, 24f3.5, 28f3.5, 35f3.5, 55f1.8, 135f3.5, SMC 200f4, SMC 85-210f4.5

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys
    I think I have it worked out. It works way better on a Penatx zoom A 35-135........ dont care....... I am having all sorts of fun with it. One day I may even have one to show! I do need rails I think
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 Just a quick reply if you use an "A" lens you use it the same as an AF lens but have to manual focus it.

2 If you use an "M"or manual lens you must set the apture ring to the "F" stop, ie 1.8 or what you want for depth of field. then press the green button which will give you the correct shutter speed,but you will probable need to adjust or fine tune it.

PS, If you have extention tubes without electrical contacts you will have to set up as in 2.

Jack.
    Last edited by pixy; 07-06-2011 at 6:32pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as an added bonus, if you are using this setup in manual mode you don't get the exposure meter thingie in the bottom of your viewfinder .... Until you use the Optical DOF preview (on/off switch to the right) (at least it is on the *ist and the k10d
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

I use a Tamron 90mm f2.5 adaptall and a Vivitar 105mm f2.8 on my K20D with manual extension tubes, ie., K mount. With these I just have to run the camera on full manual and chose the length of the lens for the camera, which it asks for as soon as I turn it on.
    For perfect focusing on macro you will find that you will need a Manfrotto 454 focusing rail or similiar and mount it on a good, sturdy tripod. I looked at cheaper brands but when you locked them down, they still had movement.
    I have obtained a set of electronic extension tubes for when I get a full electronic macro lens.

Regards.