I shoot almost exclusively large format colour film. While I suspect one day a large format sensor will certainly be available - it could quite likely require me to carry a car battery around to power it!

And anyway - if it's anywhere near $20K then I'd have to shoot over 3500 keepers on it before it was cheaper than my current film process. A process that produces 120 Megapixel images on my scanner that are streets ahead of anything I have ever seen from a digital camera of any description. The detail and warmth of a well scanned 4x5 negative is just extraordinary. And they usually require only about 40 seconds of post-production after the scan.

I reckon film will be around for a very long time. The choice of available films will definitely diminish (it already had!) - but I still expect to be able to source sheet film. At least in B+W. The bigger concern is sourcing colour chemistry!

I also think that it can be easier to learn and improve your photography by shooting film. Digital cameras can sometimes do too much "thinking" for their user - potentially by-passing the creative and analytical processes that lead to great images. It can be a bit too tempting to do 5 shot brackets or to tone-map HDR a bad exposure with a digital. When each image is costing $5-$8 you tend to think about what you are doing!

On one level digital has resulted in a lot more photographs being made. But the total number of really good artisitc and striking images is about the same as it was. The convenience and low price of being able to make more images more quickly does not always lead to better photography.

All that said - I love my 7D! For many uses it is the best camera I have. But for serious images. Where I am trying to think like an artist. The ones I hike for hours to make. I want them on film. Big film. The bigger the better.