User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Looking at a lens to take pictures of my 6 month old wriggle worm (my son)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at a lens to take pictures of my 6 month old wriggle worm (my son)!

hey all,

Relative noob here: I'm looking for a lens to take pictures of my 6 month old son who is a wriggle worm! He's constantly moving, plus having a house that is fairly dark inside and in constant low-light conditions makes it very challenging.

I currently have a D7000 with the 18-105mm lens. F/3.5 isn't cutting the mustard. The pictures coming out heaps blurry even on high ISO. He just won't stay still!!!!

So I "think" i'm looking for something with wide aperture so that I can pump up the shutter speed?? If it can contribute to awesome bokeh factor as well that would put the icing on the cake!

How would these compare?

Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G (the new one that's not out yet, I know you can't give me hands-on example, but theoretically from the specifications)
    Nikon AF 35mm f/1.8G

Or do you have any other suggestions? Would prefer something between $3-500. Less is a bonus as I need to buy a tripod too! And a flash.. but that's dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn the track.

Thanks in advance,
    Kin
    doot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a flash should come first? Then you can take properly exposed photos, at low ISO, with a reasonably fast shutter speed to freeze the "Worms" motion. What sort of settings are you using - ISO, aperture and speed - on the shots that arent working out? Cant help you in regards to your lens questions - I run with the opposition!
    Last edited by markjaffa; 01-06-2011 at 12:51am.
    Canon 5D Mk II - gripped, Samyang 14mm f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm Macro f2.8L, 70-200mm IS II f2.8L, Gitzo CF tripod and Gitzo CF monopod, Acratech GP Ballhead, Manfrotto Video Fluid Head, Intervalometer, and lots of other stuff!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How about posting some of your photos so far, let us see what the issue is exactly, and then we can help. The issue could be a number of things and they could be solvable without getting a new lens..unless you really want one. I would suggest if you can afford, and from you list, get the f1.4
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks Mark/Rick. I'll take some more photo's tonight during dinner and post them up for review. Rick: I can see this hobby being qutie expensive already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standard indoor lighting will not do your shots much good. Try to find some time in a sun lit room during the day if you can. As Rick mentioned, post some pics.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its nice to get a fast lens - 1.4 or id prefer the 35 1.8 for your camera, BUT, if you think that shooting that apperture will result in more keepers that's wrong, well, at least at first. The apperture will cause out of focus shots as much as motion will cause blurry shots.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id buy a decent bounce flash

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get an external flash happening to increase light. i am no expert but i think you may have to stand too close with a 35mm have you considered an 85mm f1.8 or 1.4?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, the pics have been posted in a separate thread.. wasn't sure if this was the right place or if I should've put it elsewhere.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...oy-%28help!%29

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't get 1/200s with your maximum aperture and no more than iso800 then you need flash

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kiwi, will be looking into a flash along with the lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I by the way wouldn't invest in anything just to do better snapshots indoors....very few good shots will come from kids inside in the dark unless you are using controlled studio conditions with clean backdrops etc.

Get a flash that you can trigger off camera via sync cable or get some cheap radio triggers off eBay, get an umbrella and lightstand etc as a start

MOST Importantly find natural light and master that first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 and a speedlight SB-600 and they let me get some awesome shots of my little girls. The flash has made a huge difference to amount of keeper shots I get while photographing the girls in the house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've got a mover, I wouldn't use the AF 50/1.8. AF is slooooowwwwww..........

I love my 35/1.8, but as others said you do have to get in close, kids do grab at the lens. For the price though......(and I so love the angle of view for kids)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nikkor 35/1.8 works well for me.
    I would also endorse Kiwi's comment. Even if you don't spring for a faster lens, using and practicing in natural or ambient light will yield better results when you do purchase the various lenses, speedlights and flashes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to photography and have a 6 month old wriggle worm also.. Have the d7000 and 18-105 and also the 35mm 1.8. the 35 is fantastic for low light indoors and i can get some great photos at a relatively quick shutter speed. The 18-105 does pretty well to though..