Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 24-105L or Sigma 24-70?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so since I've got the 50mm prime lens, I was thinking about the 17-40mm f4L now...im in no rush to buy anything so just weighing up my options.

I bought my 50mm Grey market and have had no issues with it at all, and Canon lenses have international warranty so not hard to get sorted if there are any problems. I did buy my 7D local as they dont have international warranties.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 17-40 would be real nice. The only but would be not too long in the focal length dept. Would only give you the equiv' of 64mm.

ps. Check out Ricks latest uploaded pic of his dog taken with his Sigma 24-70.
    Last edited by PH005; 02-06-2011 at 8:43pm.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    is it just me or u seem to make assumptions or opinions and pass it off as fact???

so bad or defect lenses go straight to grey importers and the good ones go to local retailers in AUS or US and around the world? Last time I checked, they all came from the same factories and from the same batches and date coded. You dont think lenses from a store in Aus can and sometimes is tainted by some defect too? Pleaseeeeeeeeee

Also, the 24-105 is $1117 from D-D-Photographics, can pick up in stores in Melb, Syd and Brissy. The 24-70 L there is $1595, bit of a price difference. The cool thing about it, you can walk in to exchange it if its a defected lens, YAY! Grey imports have never brought the 24-70 L below $1500 new, ever.
    It is just you I'm giving my opinion and basing it on my opinions / what I've heard. You are free to take is as Gospel or throw it down the toilet.

But, good! You are making the assumption that I am making assumptions. I kind of meta-assumption - I assume.

In fact, I am working off different sources of info.

a) a camera / lens repair guy (he didn't sell, so I assume (opps) he has no vested interests. He loves the grey market... more work for him.

b) I have heard (from various people) that the lenses that are returned due to defects often find their way onto the unofficial, grey market. Do I have proof? No (the grey marketeers are hardly going to 'fess up). But, if I'm going to part with thousands of my hard earned... I want to take no unnecessary chances.

c) I have never had, or know anyone who had, a problem with a non-grey market lens (1 of mine was faulty but immediately replaced): I do know of several people with problems from grey market suppliers.

The cost.

I assume (opps), that if you are in the grey market, you are thinking mostly about price. You can easily pick up the 24-70 for $1200-1300 on ebay. Obviously, we are thinking different things when we talk 'grey market'. For me, it means - buy cheap: take your chances.

Regardless, buying lenses this way, IMO is too risky.

BTW, I bought my body grey market. But not a lens.

Why? A body will either work or it wont. There are usually specific things you can ID and say 'fix this'. And you generally keep them only a few years.

Lenses: well, they are likely to be 'off' (rather than just fail). The difference betwixt a good and bad copy tends to be a gut-feeling or an opinion which is hard to prove. A good lens (or bad) is something you tend to hang onto for a very long time.

Oh! I don't see a prob buying the 50mm (1.8???) from ebay or el-dogyio's grey marketeers as this is a very simple lens with very few internals to go wrong (and cheap - so not much risk)

Anyway Emma, good luck - which ever way you go.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI On the Sigma ... CR Kennedy will price match on the Grey imports ...

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index...5&pageRef=179&

We will attempt to match, through our authorised Sigma dealer network, any legitimate advertised internet price on Sigma lenses by these grey importers.ᅠThese prices do not include traditional pre-sales and after sales service normally given by your local retail store. We suggest that you research the product thoroughly before making any purchase.
    Also, There is no reason for Aussie based shops or grey to get different stock.
    The issue is that if a warranty issue arises the local shop deals with it much better than the grey, hence you hear more grey horror stories.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is just you I'm giving my opinion and basing it on my opinions / what I've heard. You are free to take is as Gospel or throw it down the toilet.

But, good! You are making the assumption that I am making assumptions. I kind of meta-assumption - I assume.
    No assumptions from me, just noticed another one of your posts with questionable advice, like this one.

I assume (opps), that if you are in the grey market, you are thinking mostly about price. You can easily pick up the 24-70 for $1200-1300 on ebay. Obviously, we are thinking different things when we talk 'grey market'. For me, it means - buy cheap: take your chances.
    Sorry I have never ever seen the 24-70 L that cheap on ebay new - do you have links of this? Or theres the US Ebay, throw in postage on top too from the US Ebay for example and its another 100 bucks. Sorry but grey market is grey market, there is no different types of grey market products. The store D-D-Photographics is a grey market importer but with walk in branches in 3 states in Aus.

I have heard (from various people) that the lenses that are returned due to defects often find their way onto the unofficial, grey market. Do I have proof? No (the grey marketeers are hardly going to 'fess up). But, if I'm going to part with thousands of my hard earned... I want to take no unnecessary chances.
    BA BOW! Wrong. Full stop. Playing Chinese whispers can be a dangerous game not only for consumers but for retailers, grey or not. In the past whenever I used to have a customer wanting to return a lens or camera or product for possible defect, the sales rep, be it from Canon, Nikon, Maxwell, CR Kennedy etc - would usually come in person and pick it up or sometimes have a word with the customer to assess the situation. They do not simply just magically dump it back into some sort of 'international' inventory for some poor dude from some online store in HK to pick it up and sell again. Canon Australia has already paid for it and is part of inventory - unsuitable products are usually repaired before being released for purchasing again.

Gotta love hearing ppls opinion's without facts, and being mis-led as a consumer.....

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annnyways. I ended up getting a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and a speedlight 580EX. I read some good reviews on the Tamron, even one on here from Tony, so hopefully I've made a good choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BA BOW! Wrong. Full stop.
    Oh! no. Sound effects from Family Fued. Wow! With that sort of cred... you must be right!

I had stated, JM, this is what I was lead to believe by some ppl I considered credible.

It is your money, so go play what ever game of Risk you like with it.

I was just telling you (actually, Emma) I am more careful with mine - esp when it is a multi-thousand $$$ investment.

Sorry if I was interrupting your ad campaign for the grey market.

Anyway, the lens is bought. I guess any futher discussion is moot.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if I was interrupting your ad campaign for the grey market.
    campaign against the ignorant and the mis-led sorry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    campaign against the ignorant and the mis-led sorry

I think you are letting the tag-line below your name get to your head, Grand Poobah Tran...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I think you are letting the tag-line below your name get to your head, Grand Poobah Tran...
    No, sorry.

Yawns. Next.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy tigers!!!! I didnt start this for an argument about grey vs local...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gosh, I bet you didn't expect this tirade of info! :-D All I can say is, I have the 24-105L and if I broke it, I'd buy another one tomorrow. I like the flexibility the 24-105L has over the shorter range 24-70 and I've done some portraits which are simply stunning with it. Obviously, this is a personal choice. Do you know anyone you can borrow either/both before you buy, that'd help.

Good luck, and as the others say.. you'll be fine either way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harmo View Post
    My gosh, I bet you didn't expect this tirade of info! :-D All I can say is, I have the 24-105L and if I broke it, I'd buy another one tomorrow. I like the flexibility the 24-105L has over the shorter range 24-70 and I've done some portraits which are simply stunning with it. Obviously, this is a personal choice. Do you know anyone you can borrow either/both before you buy, that'd help.

Good luck, and as the others say.. you'll be fine either way.
    Good point: it doesn't matter where you buy the 24-105L, assuming it is 100%, you'll get top shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very happy with the 24-105 f4 L , Actually blew me away with the clarity , So much so It's scarey
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12