Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Postcards

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Postcards

Hello all.
    I want to be able to create local postcards to sell down at the local information centre. I need to know:

1. Is it easier to get someone to do the printing, or do it at home. (I have a Epson Stylus Photo printer)
    2. If at home, were to buy the postcard paper?
    3. What value to put on the postcards.
    4. Any other information you think I might need.

Geoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter has just had some postcards printed at Vistaprint .com; I don't know if it was a 'special' on ( it was only 1-2 weeks ago ), but she said she paid $9.00/100. They did a good job on them. Her's were for advertising purposes, put in cafe's etc, so obviously no charge. Another person here had some printed at Kwik Print ( cost unknown ), and put a price of about $3.50 per card, but I don't know how they are selling.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell 1000's of postcards a month and they range from a retail of 60 cents up to $1, anything more and they just sit there gathering dust.

Cris

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cris. Do you make your own, or do you get someone to do it?
    If you get someone to do it, who do you use?
    If you make your own, where do you get the paper/card?
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    No I dont do my own work, the stuff that sells in many cases is pretty average. As far as I know the mass producers use off set printing and this gets the cost down, but I think you need a reasonable volume to make it worthwhile. If you like I can speak to the rep next time he calls and get more specific info. I have spoken to him in the past and he was happy to share, If I remember correctly they do their own printing and were more than happy to print my stuff when I get off my backside and prepare it. I do actually sell matted 8" * 10" at 19.95 each, I was watching those sales results to see what images I would use. I have noticed that when people by postcards they are looking for images that match their experience and they can identify with (i.e. pretty beach scenes etc) or views of the area on a picture perfect day. Montages sell well (4-6 images on the one card) Koalas and Pelicans are about the only animals which sell well. Technically correct and great photographic images don't necessarily sell very well. Hope this helps, please ask if you need any more info.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big thanks Cris I might go to the local info centre and sneak a peak at the back of the cards that are there. I did have a quick look the other day, but all that is printed on the back is the name of the photographer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at Steve Parish for a photographer who does alright out of selling postcards. Might help to have a bit of a media empire behind you.

Huge volume is needed to make it worth your while though I think, not something I'll be looking to get into.

As Cris said, they retail for such a small amount that you have to have your costs very well managed to make a decent profit. That means printing huge runs and then selling them all, without spending too much time shooting for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly postcards, but we had heaps of Xmas Cards made, with our dog wearing a santa hat in the image!! I believe they were Snap Printing, but most printing places would be the same. Check them out and ask.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of great advice there, but where do you get the paper/card from if you want to print your own, and what paper/card do you use for printing your own for both postcards and xmas/birthday cards?? I will be doing small volumes and would like to print straight onto the card rather than on photo paper, cut it out and stick it on cardboard. Also will be upgrading my printer very soon to Epson or Canon, price range $1,000 to 1300.00 if that helps any. Thank You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been going to do this myself, not huge amounts but a few postcards & hand made cards with 6x4 images on them. Have a couple of friends that make cards with photo's on them & sell at markets & information centre's & some other shops in different towns, they actually sell quite a few. Just as long as you have images from around the area your trying to sell in.
    Red Bubble print cards & postcards, its $1.18 per postcard if you order 16 or more, of your own shots. So you wouldn't be making to much by doing it through them. I need to find somewhere cheaper myself.
    Pentax K20D & Grip, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 EX DG HSM II, Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 flash, LowePro Flipside 300 backpack, Photoshop CS 5, Lightroom 3, Manfrotto Monopod & 498 RC2 Ball Head, GoldPhoto "Tracker" Tripod, Hoya CPL and UV filters, Yongnuo RF602 flash triggers.