Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok..so now my choices (realistically) seem to be:
    the Nikon 300 + teleconverter which should be ok on my d90 but no VR (but excellent IQ..thanks, Lance).
    7d + 100-400
    wait for the mythical 80-400
    Maybe the Sigma but a big issue with the weight!
    Lots to think about
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are thinking in these terms, then, Mongo should update you on the cost of a mint condition 300 f4 non VR model (the model immediately before the current VR model) is only $600 landed in Australia from one of the world's best second hand camera lens stores located in Japan.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $600?? I could get that now
    Last edited by salnel; 31-05-2011 at 7:45pm.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salnel View Post
    $600?? I could get that now
    Mongo can give you the details if you want him to

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much,Mongo..This may be an answer for me that isn't going to cost a fortune! You are very kind

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much,Mongo..This may be an answer for me that isn't going to cost a fortune! You are very kind
    Have a look here [URL="http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NIKON-AF-NIKKOR-ED-300mm-f-4-Exc-/160595352565?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item25643a9bf5"] Note some prices are in $US but Mongo has worked out is it less than $600 and Mongo has purchased from these guys before. THis is the auto focus lens but Mongo is not sure if it is the silent wave motor or not - so check this if it matters to you.
    Last edited by mongo; 31-05-2011 at 9:38pm.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Salnel. Just looked again and 2 lenses have just sold - one of them was the lens Mongo mentioned. However, Mongo sees these every few days to few weeks and you will have another chance if you want it. It is not an auction - it is a "buy it now" store. I am also sorry about the hyerlink - Mongo is learning to get that right and will pass it on to you if you wish. Again, sorry.

Can Mongo please urge you to open the link he has provided above to you anyway - so you can see the quality of the lens that can be had by this method just for your own knowledge. For the moment , you can do that by highlighting all the URL address above that is between the inverted commas, then, right click and take the "open the link" option

regards
    Mongo
    Last edited by mongo; 31-05-2011 at 10:05pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mongo
    What's this "one of the world's best second hand camera lens stores located in Japan"
    Please
    Col

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinbm View Post
    Hi Mongo
    What's this "one of the world's best second hand camera lens stores located in Japan"
    Please
    Col
    Hi Colinbm,

Mongo is referring to the Matsuiyastore found at [URL="://shttptores.ebay.com.au/Matsuiyastore"]

Once there just open the lenses which are listed in on the left of screen under the manufacturer's brand names names. The list is constantly changing during the day as things are purchased and other put for sale in their pace. This store only keeps the best gear and nothing under a 9 + out of 10 in Mongo's opinion

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, Mongo...your link worked I did have a quick look too(before it sold). Then I did a search and found the Nikkor AF-S 300mm f4 D...I think that is the more recent one that has silent wave..the one Lance has? Anyway, I found it new for $1149 with an aus warranty. So I did a quick search for reviews and one of them said there was to be an update to this lens, possibly summer 2012?? The review (can't remember which one now..looked at too many) thought it would be adding VR to this lens.
    If that is true and Kiwi said the 80-400 is also due to be updated, maybe that might give me 2 options later on! Just so long as they don't add too many noughts
    Thanks for the link..I will keep an eye on it!!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, Mongo...your link worked I did have a quick look too(before it sold). Then I did a search and found the Nikkor AF-S 300mm f4 D...I think that is the more recent one that has silent wave..the one Lance has? Anyway, I found it new for $1149 with an aus warranty. So I did a quick search for reviews and one of them said there was to be an update to this lens, possibly summer 2012?? The review (can't remember which one now..looked at too many) thought it would be adding VR to this lens.
    If that is true and Kiwi said the 80-400 is also due to be updated, maybe that might give me 2 options later on! Just so long as they don't add too many noughts
    Thanks for the link..I will keep an eye on it!!!
    Ok Salnel - good luck. BTW, the current 80-400mm nikkor has a shocking reputation for IQ. MOngo tried one briefly and completely agrees that it is currently not at all a good lens. Mongo would not touch it unless the new version is heavily revised and improved.

Also , would be keen to know where you found the new version for $1149 ???

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, I found it new for $1149 with an aus warranty.
    The warranty will be provided by the seller and NOT by Nikon Australia.

See if i can paste the link..never done it!
    I have no idea if they are any good but they are based in Melbourne. Is this the one or have i got it wrong?
    http://www.becextech.com.au/catalog/...roducts_id=430
    A quick search shows that they are based in Melbourne and Honk Kong and don't appear in the list of authorised Nikon Australia dealers. They appear to be another grey importer that has set up "shop" in Australia.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if i can paste the link..never done it!
    I have no idea if they are any good but they are based in Melbourne. Is this the one or have i got it wrong?
    http://www.becextech.com.au/catalog/...roducts_id=430

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't hold my breath for the AF-S 80-400VR as it (AF 80-400VR) is the one Nikon lens screaming out for years to get a SWM update. It has been rumored for a couple of years and still no show. The 300/4 you are looking for is the later AF-S version, not AF version. Price difference is almost double between them on used market, but the AF-S can be had used and mint from the USA almost any day on EBay etc for under $700 and it takes a TC (not really 2x) quite well.

Sadly, anything but the big glass option is going to be a compromise in one way or another for birding. The 200-400 VR1 can be had for sub $4K (but usually just over) if you watch closely and are prepared to deal right away. They spring up very often.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Andrew..I will hang on to this list to help me!
    Thanks, Wayne...not really what I wanted to hear but kind of what I expected
    Sigh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there salnel,

Thought I'd share my experience with you, as I have just recently (about a month ago) changed camera brands from Olympus to Canon for very similar reasons to what you are considering.

I'm an avid bird photographer, and I was looking for the best possible system/tools that I could use for my hobby (within my budget of course!). While I loved my Oly gear, the lack of telephoto lenses available for the system forced me to look elsewhere. After considerable research, I settled for the Canon system, as their range of telephoto lenses is exceptional, and in most cases much more affordable than their Nikon counterparts.

I decided to purchase a Canon 7D and a 100-400mm L lens. As many have mentioned in this thread, the 7D is an excellent camera, and quite possibly the best birding camera on the market. The AF system is terrific, and the 1.6 crop factor on an 18MP sensor allows for greater reach and cropability.

I chose the 100-400mm L lens as I really wanted a zoom lens. The environments I primarily shoot in are quite dense bushland, and the flexibility of the zoom was a must. The push-pull zoom action is quite unique, but even after only three field trips with this new kit I already really like the style of zooming.

You may hear/read some people saying that the 100-400 zoom is not as sharp as say the 400 prime, but in reality the result are negligeable if they even exist at all. In the real word examples, and indeed my own experiences, the 100-400 is far from soft.

While I'm relatively new to the Canon system, I am already really enjoying shooting with it and the results I am obtaining. It will take some time to learn how to get the most out of your gear, but that's half the fun isn't it? I would recommend a good monopod and head combo, just to take some of the weight off as this set up can get heavy, but I have no trouble hand holding it for a few hours. I have a Manfrotto 679B and 234RC head which I picked up for under $100 second hand, which is an excellent combo.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have any!

Cheers
    Last edited by piXelatedEmpire; 01-06-2011 at 2:56pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Adam..I did see your post about changing brands. You seem to be in exactly the same situation as I am...I love my Nikon gear and do not want to get rid of it but the Nikon lenses are just too expensive and the ones I can afford don't seem to be what I need (or will take some unknown length of time to appear!). I had already decided that the 100-400 would suit me the best but I wasn't sure which camera was the most suitable.The 7D(altho pretty expensive) seems to be the one to have and my best friend has one so I know she will teach me to use it.
    My only real choice in Nikon is the 300mm but Tony says no VR is a deal breaker and I think I need all the help I can get...especially trying to hold a heavy lens steady!
    I do have a Manfrotto monopod already but not the head so I will have a look for one.
    I take it that you don't regret switching to Canon purely for one purpose?
    Like I said, the second camera won't go astray as it (or my D90) can be used by my husband as well. Personally, I don't want any other lenses..I love my macro (which is pretty much welded to my camera,) my 18-200 is terrific as a general lens and I have a nifty fifty and, at this stage, I can't see anything else I would need. But the sheer frustration of not being able to take any bird or animal more than a few feet away is becoming more and more annoying!!
    So, unless Nikon decide to produce the 80-400, I think I will be following in your footsteps.
    Thanks for the post...nice to hear that I am not the only one considering this! I will watch your posts with interest

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, unless Nikon decide to produce the 80-400, I think I will be following in your footsteps.
    Newsflash!!!!

Hot off the press ---- Nikon have announced that they will release rumours of a new AF-S VR11 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED lens ------

The day AFTER Sally unboxes her new Canon gear.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Newsflash!!!!

Hot off the press ---- Nikon have announced that they will release rumours of a new affordable AF-S VR11 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED lens ------
    Fixed it for you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast