User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Canon 60D Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 60D Problem

Can anyone look at the attached photo and tell me what gives (and/or what I am doing wrong).

I have just come back from Nepal taking shots with a Canon D60 and EFS 18-135 mm and EF 50mm f1.4. Many shots (only shots with plenty of sky) have this curve in the left hand corner of varying thickness and density (see attached email-sized jpeg). It didnt seem to matter whether I was using a lens cap or not , or whether I was using the Circular Polariser or ND filter or not , most photos with the Himalayan sky have the curve in some form.

I hadnt noticed this in any shots taken in the previous 6 months in Australia with the same camera/lens.

Any advice welcome, Many thanks.

Patan Sky.JPG

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly welcome to AP and I hope your time and input here will not be limited to finding a solution to your problem.

I would hazard a guess that you have something on your lens, shooting at f22 will certainly make something like that visible in your images.
    You say this was not visible on images taken in the previous 6 months, which makes me think it is just something that has got on your lens
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually re-reading this, if it is on images taken with both lenses it will be something, I would guess a hair, on your sensor

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to AP, from what I can see from the exif in the shot is that you were using your 50mm at F/22 for this shot and that tight aperture would account for the dust on the sensor filter being visible ( spot in the cloud at 11 o'clock ) as well as that line looking quite thick or dense. I will hazard a guess that it is a bit of debris sitting across the sensor that has found its way in during a lens change. The thickness or density would later appearance depending on the sperture used for the shot F/1.4 = hardly visible to F/22 = very prominent.

Remedy ( hopefully ) is to have your sensor cleaned. If the problem is still there after that procedure send the camera away to a repair facility to have it looked at.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, gently blast the sensor with a rocket blower (after locking the mirror up).
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr