User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite music to listen to when doing photography???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your favourite music to listen to when doing photography???

Hi all,
    Just wondering what sort of music you guys like to listen to when doing photography? When shooting and when doing PP etc?
    I shall start; I enjoy listening to Apocalyptica when i'm doing photography stuffs especially when i'm doing PP etc.
    I find that Apocalyptica gets me in a deeper zone when working... Gets all the creative juices flowing too!
    Cheers!

Nikon D700 in all it's glory!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I listen to the sounds around me when I'm shooting. It tells me what or who is where.
    PP, it's iTunes and random.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont listen to music when i shoot.....i like immersing myself in the environment and listening to music would take that away from me i think. its nice to have peace and quiet too
    Ben

Camera: 7d
    Lenses: Canon 17 - 55 f2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4
    Flash: 430 exii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterking View Post
    I listen to the sounds around me when I'm shooting. It tells me what or who is where.
    PP, it's iTunes and random.
    Plus one. Never understood people who shoot with earphones in, just cutting off half your senses. (OK, well, a fifth of them).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't listen to music either, much prefer the sounds of nature.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't listen to music when taking photos.

While editing, I sometimes have the TV going in the background but it isn't a significant part of my 'post processing'.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does it depend on the kind of photography you do that determines whether you prefer to listen to music or is it across the board where listening to music is just gonna be a distraction?
    Like if you were doing still life shots, wouldn't listening to music give you inspiration, in a way the tune affects your emotions?
    I find that it depends on what genre of photography i'm doing... like if i was doing street then i wouldn't listen to music, least i stumble onto the path of a coming truck!
    But if i was doing still life - like my little people's project then i would listen to music... cos sometimes the lyrics give me inspiration...
    but i like 'noisy' music when i'm doing PP... kinda puts me in the zone... does these make sense?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Birdsong. What other sort is there?
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the sounds of nature or silence for me too, I find music too distracting
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't see the point of walking around in a bubble by putting those things in your ears, so natural sounds over here too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think taking photos requires the use of your senses. Not just one ( sight ), but all. Definately No music here.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds of silence 4 me, though I usually miss out because of traffic din, esp trains, planes, and that other thing they sing about.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No music for me either, Nothing like the sound of the waves and birds in the early dawn , Maybe have the TV on while processing with a beer or nice wine
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the sounds of what's around me...
    especially when i'm doing street photography- you may hear something behind you that brings your attention to it!

but you do have a point smallfooties, In Leibovitz's book "At Work" she says that for the majority of the portrait shoot she did, she was playing music in the background to make it less sterile and to help them relax more.

Doing PP on photos- any music that's on my itunes and that's a very diverse range!
    Canon 7D, 550D, 1N HS, EOS 88, 17-55 2.8, 18-200mm, 10-22mm, 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 28-105
    Canon AE-1, 50mm, Nikon FM2(n), 50mm, 24-70mm, Tamron 300mm
    Mamiya RB 67 Pro-S 90mm C, 180mm C
    Mamiya M645 1000s, 35mm C, 80mm C, 150mm C, 210 mm C
    430EX II, Benro Tripod and Monopod
    and a bunch of toy cameras!
    -Tim

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    No music for me either, Nothing like the sound of the waves and birds in the early dawn , Maybe have the TV on while processing with a beer or nice wine
    Hi William, in what way, if any, does drinking alcohol do for you when you're doing PP?
    I'm just wondering if it helps with feeling more relaxed and might help with the PP process in the sense of creativity?
    It might be the case for me after a glass or 2 because i don't hold my liqour too well. But it could be different for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallfooties View Post
    Hi William, in what way, if any, does drinking alcohol do for you when you're doing PP?
    I'm just wondering if it helps with feeling more relaxed and might help with the PP process in the sense of creativity?
    It might be the case for me after a glass or 2 because i don't hold my liqour too well. But it could be different for you?
    It keeps me going, need something if you've just finished shooting at 1am, your ears are ringing from being stood next to some huge speaker stack all night, and you've 1000+ photos to edit and get to the client by lunch time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the creepiest music listener in the world - to the point where I don't shave without my Ipod on. Pretty much the only thing in my life I do without music is taking photos. Because a lot of the shots I take are along the coast immersed nature, I love to leave my ears open to my surrounds.

That said, sometimes if I have a massive walk ahead of my I will throw my Ipod on. For PP and any other time in my life, 80's hard rock all the way. Although I have been known to delve in a lot of modern hard rock too.

Nothing I'd love more than a beer or two during PP, but luckily most my PP at the moment is done at work during quiet periods.
    Last edited by Geoff79; 30-05-2011 at 3:26pm.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    click... click!!!!

thats it... just me, the camera and my surrounds (whatever that might be.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no music while taking the shots

afterward while doing PP , depends on if I need a wake up or if I'm feeling chill - most common hits on the playlist would be Metric or Placebo these days
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    click... click!!!!

thats it... just me, the camera and my surrounds (whatever that might be.)
    i love to hear the sound of the shutter too!!!!
    I suppose there is always the shutter addict in us photographers! kekeke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast