User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

View Poll Results: Have you or do you use Nikon capture NX2

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use other editing software in conjunction with Capture NX2 ( noise reduction, sharpening etc)

9 34.62%
  • Licorice Allsorts

7 26.92%
  • I tried Capture NX2 and didn't like it.

6 23.08%
  • I wish they would hurry up and bring out a 64 bit version of Capture NX2

5 19.23%
  • Capture NX2 is my only editing software.

2 7.69%
  • I use Nik Software filters in conjunction with Capture NX2

2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikon Capture NX2 usage.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gerry,
    I did all those things including a registry clean out but it simply will not happen on this machine.

I know that they will work together, a few threads on sites that contain sensible discussion on NX usage and not just troll type posts have indicated just as you rightly have that they will work together.
    It appears that there is some conflict on my machine that is causing the hassles.
    I basically wasted all of yesterday mucking around with it and now it sounds like a job for next year.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    It appears that there is some conflict on my machine that is causing the hassles.
    I basically wasted all of yesterday mucking around with it and now it sounds like a job for next year.
    royal pain in the ass, there is nothing worse then spending time like that for no gain, i feel for ya.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone waiting for the 64 bit version of Color Efex Pro for NX2, I believe it is out, Version 3.0.0.4.

I haven't tried it yet.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidd View Post
    For anyone waiting for the 64 bit version of Color Efex Pro for NX2, I believe it is out, Version 3.0.0.4.

I haven't tried it yet.
    That is the best thing I have heard today and will try it when we get home next week.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool. I'll check it out over the weekend too.

thnx for the info.

Apparently, there'll be a v2.3.1 release for CNX2 soon as well, to cater for D4 users.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I uninstalled the old version of NX2 and Color Efex Pro, and then installed the 64 bit versions of both.

I needed my activation keys for both, but it all installed without a hitch! I had to set up my preferences for NX2 again, and point the program to my settings files.

I tried it out with a NEF file of a large pano (162Mb), and it just flies! I opened the NEF (took seconds), removed the previous crop, added a Contrast step, re-cropped and saved it, and it's very quick! It all happens almost instantly.

Happy NX2 user here!

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidd View Post
    Happy NX2 user here!
    Ditto!!!

All installed without a hitch and working splendidly here as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still running teh 32 bit version but I gotta say its a vast improvement on teh previous version - the speed is noticeable, but moreso, the stability is a 1000 times better

When I up grade the hardware I look forward to a even better experience, if I have not merged fully into lightroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it primarily as my raw converter... normally only adjust wb and distortion correction, Photoshop for everything esle.
    I have to say though, that the most useful addition to the new version for me, has to be the Astro Noise Reduction feature - really good at removing hot pixels from long exposures

Oh, and it's quite a bit more stable too.
    Last edited by bigjobs; 15-02-2012 at 8:48am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjobs View Post
    I use it primarily as my raw converter... normally only adjust wb and distortion correction, Photoshop for everything esle.
    I have to say though, that the most useful addition to the new version for me, has to be the Astro Noise Reduction feature - really good at removing hot pixels from long exposures

Oh, and it's quite a bit more stable too.
    What do you convert your RAWs into ? I usually convert them to TIFFs and then begin a workflow in PS. I hate that Lightroom can't read nikons image data correctly and you get these images which are completely different to the images you took... It bugs the hell out of me !!! Lightroom is amazing but as a Nikon user I cant use it knowing that its not reading my files correctly.

ALSO

Today Nikon released new versions of View NX (v2.3.0) and it has added support for 64bit.

Moderately Underexposed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by image2paint View Post

Today Nikon released new versions of View NX (v2.3.0) and it has added support for 64bit.
    The 64 bit version released compliments Capture NX2, today's update was for a few corrective adjustments and to add a couple of features, presumably they are to recognise the new camera models just released. The two mode auto iso is the one that stands out the most as being for the new bodies and probably digging deeper there will be a few more features relating to video etc.
    Last edited by I @ M; 15-02-2012 at 2:58pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you convert your RAWs into ? I usually convert them to TIFFs and then begin a workflow in PS. I hate that Lightroom can't read nikons image data correctly and you get these images which are completely different to the images you took... It bugs the hell out of me !!! Lightroom is amazing but as a Nikon user I cant use it knowing that its not reading my files correctly.
    You can set LR3 to render the NEFs as pseudo Nikon rendered files, by using the option in develop to use 'Nikon Profiles' .. way down the bottom of the develop module on the RHS pane.
    They're not the same, kind'a similar, but I wouldn't classify them as the same .. but is s close point to start with.

I used to hate seeing highlight that I got right in camera(and Nikon software!!) blown out in LR3 and similarly lost shadows.

ALSO

Old news, the discussion has been going for a while since Dec '11.
    There were some pitfalls, and issues that needed to be dealt with since the update to 64bit, but all seems to be good again now.

Worth the upgrade to 64bit if your system is 64bit.

Note that there will also be another update to CNX2 with the arrival of the D4 and D800 very soon.

Hopefully this will be an update to CNX3, with a swag of new features and so on .. but alas we all know that his is only hysterical hallucinogenic optimism on my part!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    You can set LR3 to render the NEFs as pseudo Nikon rendered files, by using the option in develop to use 'Nikon Profiles' .. way down the bottom of the develop module on the RHS pane.
    They're not the same, kind'a similar, but I wouldn't classify them as the same .. but is s close point to start with.

I used to hate seeing highlight that I got right in camera(and Nikon software!!) blown out in LR3 and similarly lost shadows.

Old news, the discussion has been going for a while since Dec '11.
    There were some pitfalls, and issues that needed to be dealt with since the update to 64bit, but all seems to be good again now.

Worth the upgrade to 64bit if your system is 64bit.

Note that there will also be another update to CNX2 with the arrival of the D4 and D800 very soon.

Hopefully this will be an update to CNX3, with a swag of new features and so on .. but alas we all know that his is only hysterical hallucinogenic optimism on my part!
    Yes adobe came up with a Nikon profile, and yes i knew about and had it, but it was just as you say a "psuedo" one. Anyone who uses Lightroom with a Nikon D5100 should open their images in View or Capture NX 2 and they will be amazed !

I am 64 bit on 2 machines and yes I did update ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you convert your RAWs into ? I usually convert them to TIFFs and then begin a workflow in PS.
    Yep, same here. I found that I get nicer results from CNX>TIFF>CS5.

Unfortunately, I don't really like Lightroom. I appreciate that it may improve my workflow but I just don't like the 'feel' of the program... perhaps it's the interface (not that CNX is anything special either).

Cheers,
    Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123