Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you photograph and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you photograph and why?

I shoot birds.

I photograph other subjects like bugs, my boy(Mr Dooba aka James my dog), the occasional sunrise, anything that catches my attention but my main focus in photography and life is bird photography. I have a great love for birds which started when I bought my 70-200/4 IS and noticed a bird in a palm tree in my front yard. I shot the bird posted the photo to get an ID and the rest is history. Now I spend the majority of my time photographing birds, editing the photos and looking at bird photos on a couple forums and researching new and likely spots to well...... ummmmm.... photograph birds. I've spent a fortune upgrading my kit to very bird specific gear and I'm considering a new lens but I won't go into that

Birds are amazing IMO. They are everywhere if you take the time to notice and they can FLY!!!! I love to watch them hop and flit about, hunt, interact with each other and interact with their environment. I find it very relaxing to be outside at peace with nature and capturing these beautiful feathered creatures and sharing the photos with others(even if they aren't the best).

Do you have a subject matter which is your main focus photographically and why do you choose to photograph it?
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont have a real genre that I shoot , Basically I'll shoot anything , Still have'nt found my Forte, I dont post all my shots on this Web Site , But I have an interest in Landscapes/Seascapes, Photo journalism , Macro , Flowers , Abstract , weddings , Sport , Bugs and Architectural(Elements of Design) , B&W and Portraiture , Pretty well anything
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my name is Graeme and I`m a photoholic..... I`ll have a go at anything as I`m really interested in being as good as I can be.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Near every thing apart from animals and weddings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, mainly sport, but also family, weddings, portraits, events

Hardly ever macro or landscapes or architecture but i like those genres

I'll give anything a go really
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly flowers and animals. That is because I cannot get humans to sit still and pose for me

I love to do portraits. It is a great failing of mine as even when I take images of plants and animals I mostly find myself in close looking at a head and shoulder look. I cannot take landscapes at all, I simply do not 'see' it, I want to focus on the lone tree and not the great valley behind it!!

I love birds also, they are so brilliant. Work keeps me from being able to hunt them (in a nice way) more often.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Well, mainly sport..........
    Darren, Why do you shoot sport? Are you a lover of sports?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I cannot take landscapes at all, I simply do not 'see' it, I want to focus on the lone tree and not the great valley behind it!!
    I love the way people see the world differently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrDooba View Post
    Darren, Why do you shoot sport? Are you a lover of sports?
    Yes. And I reckon I'm good at it and find it very relaxing when I'm in "the zone" (yes that sounds very ####y) and as a dad if four boys I'm there watching them anyhow most Saturdays

I think it's very important that you have a passion about what you are photographing so much so that you'd still be there looking or involved even if you were not a photographer

Formerly known as : ColdBlood :
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer landscapes. Why you ask? I'll try to answer that...at least for myself
    1) The nature is so varied. It has literally everything. Why should I invent something then?
    2) when I was a child I liked to draw. I was very good at copying, but not as good at making something from my mind. So Landscapes are perfect here - I must come and get what's already there and just copy it as I see. Convenient, isn't it?
    3) It's a challenge! To wake up at 3am, to climb a mountain, to get wet from waves... I never had motivation to do all sorts of extreme sports or activities as it was senseless. Until I met my first camera
    4) I love sunrises. They are soooooo powerful, then clean me up, they fill me with energy, they give me lots of emotions and impressions.
    5) Landscapes are something "global" with big scale - they look great on my desktop or on the walls
    6) I like structure in my life. That is why it is an unbeatable pleasure to find some structure in the outer world, to build a composition from what's already there
    7) I like silence. I usually travel alone. It's time to be with myself.

well.. I understand that some of these points can be used with other genres, so still not sure why ))

most of all landscapes I prefer seascapes. Why?
    EASY. According to astrology I have lots of planets in Water Zodiac constellations, including Venus, which is related to Art
    Nikon D750, Tamron 15-30, Nikkor 70-300 VR2
    https://antongorlin.com
    Real Estate Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to shoot it all, because it's there........ all you have to do is look...... just have to remember to look behind as sometimes you can miss some great images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to photograph nearly anything :-

Birds - but until I get a bigger/longer lens I am limited to the Nikon 105mm. I find them quite a challenge as they don't sit still very long. BIF better still.
    Cars - because my husband is a car nut and they have been part of my life for 40 yrs. So if I get bored while he's talking more (and more) cars, I can take off photographing. Hoping to get more creative though and not be shy.
    Love old buildings and flowers (just need to get out more).
    I find most people shy away from having their photos taken including family (I'm working on it) so portraits are near the bottom of the list. Now I'm hoping to do better than the happy snappy family photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the main area i take pictures is macro insects / spiders. Why I do this is becuase i enjoy looking at the interactions in the insect world and all the amazing details of the insects which you cannot see without a macro lens.
    I also enjoy shooting birds, and hopefully when there is some good weather go track down some kestrels.
    basically, if there is a chance to capture a moment a get a nice picture, i'm in, regardless of the genre
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdBlood View Post
    . Why you ask? I'll try to answer that...at least for myself
    Ultimately that's the only person you have to answer to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love photographing kids, love doing portraits and candids alike. I like doing land/seascapes, but wish I lived on the west coast to get beautiful sunsets, not a morning person lol

I'll shoot anything really...I do love shooting water too.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have only been taking photos since late last year but I have fallen in love with macro...anything up close and personal (to me) is fascinating. Flowers are my first choice mostly because of the infinite variety of colors, shapes, etc. The more I do, the more I want to learn I am doing the 52 challenge and all but one photo has been taken with my macro lens which is on my camera nearly all the time.
    I like taking landscapes but am not very good at it and would like to get into birds but I don't have the gear for it yet.
    I have no interest in portraits or people photography at all....I think that is the beauty of photography...there is something for everyone
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to lean more towards motorsports..... I find myself checking the local track website for events coming up.

But I also like the odd city/landscape shot.
    Nikon D7000

Nikon 18-105mm | Sigma 150-500mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, where do I fall. Probably into the category that will take a photo of anything, to capture a mood, a feeling, a vibe or whatever it might be (ranging from journalistic to abstract to natural). Sure it doesn't always work out but I find myself composing shots even when I don't have a camera with me.

That being said if I had to narrow it down i'd probably choose three categories.
    1. Stormscapes/Storm Photography: Can involve everything from people and lives through to the majestic power of a dynamic natural landscape. I guess part of the attraction is that given the exact same ingredients on different days the atmosphere can do whatever the hell it likes....no two storms are identical. Which keeps me coming back to understand what I am seeing. I guess this also is attractive as its a passion, and a profession and exhibits the raw power of nature.

2. Natural Wilderness/Landscapes: I like to play around with odd ideas in this setting, get out and experience the silence and solitude of being amongst the wilderness and away from the more crowded places on our planet. The variety of different features in the natural world means that I don't think i'll ever stop hiking and looking, and like Coldblood Landscapes are just one of my favourite things.

3. Weddings. Hang on I hear you say, did you just say weddings? Yup. Above all photography of people I find this the most amazing and intriguing study of the human psyche and the complex interactions between human beings. You have the genuine emotions which flow on the day to see and put into pictures, but you also have that almost false reaction/emotion that comes with being around people you may not necessarily enjoy the company of. It means that its completely diverse to shoot, but at the same time very rewarding to shoot. Sure its a job for many, but I wonder how many really enjoy it?
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sports for me, as I play a lot of sports myself originally I wanted to get some good shots of myself and my mates its now blossmed into a real love of photography. Although I still enjoy taking landscapes, having a photoshoot with the boys to get "that shot" is not only fun but really rewarding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Old Dogs discription. A " Photoholic " . I'll try almost anything too. Favourites would be, Birds, Macro, Sea/Landscapes. But try to keep an eye out for anything that looks like an opportunity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast