User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advertising, maybe I am just a little jaded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use facebook to great effect for my photography business, but I dont push or even promote my own fan page daily, I dont feel the need to heap it onto their faces.

A friend I know is very good at pushing it in public daily on facebook and at self promotion. She has a 'few thousand likes' on her fan page, yet barely get any paid work and is more suited as an amateur.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To an extent I agree with you Rick
    I've been on facebook personally for many years and have about 150 contacts ( I hear that's quite low by comparison to most) - many of whom I felt pressured to say yes to because they're relatives or friends of friends (call me weak!) . I don't go out 'friending' anyone who I haven't actually met.

Marianne recently set up our Facebook site and we let our friends know about it and have been posting our pics gradually on there (with the obligatory status update that happens with each set uploaded)- for us , it's just been something we've left to its own devices and if people go in and like it, we're thrilled because they've somehow found it without us bashing them over the head with it. Who knows, Marianne might be a more aggressive with it in the future as she is considering doing photography as her part time job after the kiddies arrive.
    Because it's a bit more of a complete gallery, and because I tend to write a bit more about the photos on flickr i post each day (hence they go up slower)- my flickr site is about the only other external link to the FB galleries.

I don't like it when people start posting things like
    "please [LIKE] me on facebook" or advertising free sessions, workshops, prints, seminars, self awesomeness etc.
    My dad (who I consider a wise man !) once told me that "If you dislike someone else's problems, and it doesn't directly affect you, why become emotionally involved with it?" AKA my interpretation is that if someone else in your eyes is being a [insert derogatory term here] - why waste time on hate and stress over their problem.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Facebook is a funny thing... All I use it for is to catch up with friends or family. And to be quiet honest, I don't think I have ever used the "like" button. I'd write a comment instead.
    I haven't put that many images on there, except maybe a few of the people I have as friends. Facebook is what you make of it. The "Like" button is simular to my "ausphotography" button on my favorites bar. It's my choice whether I use it or not.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ironically I just came across this lol!
    I caved - I LIKED the disklike button page :P

DISLIKE BUTTON

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day all

Like you Rick - I'm getting tired of it all too
    Lately I find myself grumbling at the ABC for their adverts for stuff from the ABC shop &/or upcoming programs
    The ads, the music, the wording, the tone of voice etc etc is giving me the "trotts" and I am fed up with it all

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snappysi View Post
    I think i am the last person on earth that doesnt even have a face book page....... what ever happened to having " real" friends....
    No you're not alone I can't stand facespace and all that associated crap.
    Six|West Studios

Canon 5D Classic | Canon 40D (gripped) | EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L USM | 430EXII | Kata DR-467

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for one am in the situation where I am beginning to untangle myself from Facebook.

3 years ago, it was a space to keep in touch with those across the seas / interstate etc.

These days, most updates from my contacts aren't in anyway designed to let me know 'how they are doing' but the fact that they LIKE some dumb thing (and the dumbness must continue to get dumber so that people will notice). Yesterday, 2 of my friends updated (with photos) their LIKE of 'planking'. Talk about a cynical advertising ploy? This update came with photos of people 'planking' - all of the photos were supposed to feature (Brand X) in the photo.

Like Rick, this advertising of the mediocre sh1ts me - no end.

Then, there is the massive security risk of social media (on Facebook - high privacy is just a vague notion - I found out the hard way).

So, if the best a company can do is some crappy, cynical 'LIKE' campaign - they ain't earning any respect (or money) from me.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I think i am the last person on earth that doesnt even have a face book page"

that's what facebookers want you to think...personally I refuse to have anything to do with social media sites like facebook because it is a massive time sink...and I prefer to be working on my photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Othrelos View Post
    "I think i am the last person on earth that doesnt even have a face book page"

that's what facebookers want you to think...personally I refuse to have anything to do with social media sites like facebook because it is a massive time sink...and I prefer to be working on my photography.

The idea that having a Facebook page is in itself bad or a time-waster is not particularly helpful or accurate.

Facebook can be a wonderful way to keep in contact with old-friends, disseminate info / photos, organise functions etc.

Where I am increasingly down on Facebook etc. is in the way it is used. Like many things, it has become the victim of its own success. Where once it was a fairly benign space for social networking (in the old sense of keeping up with friends and issues) - it is increasingly morphing into a very concerning hunting ground for commercial interests and those who just want to seek attention for its own sake.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally waste a lot of time on Facebook, friends in Victoria that I don't see will say hello, and an hour later - I'm still talking to them...

I have my personal one and my photography one, keeps my page for my stuff and there's no link between me and my photography page.

A few contacts update quite regularly, they live vicariously through facebook...personally, I can't handle that...my page is now private and unsearchable - I did a massive cull a year or so back, I went from 450 people to 30. I didn't talk to the others and felt 'guilted' to add them (I have problems with saying 'NO').

I'm getting sick of the 'people you may know' section and the stupid ads that come up on the right hand side...now that I'm engaged, apparently every advertisement relating to marriage and weddings is now relevant, and that's been going on for over a year now. I'm over it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12