Thread: Cokin Z Filters

Ready to Print
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cokin Z Filters

Hello,
    I want to step into the world of the Cokin filters. Can anyone recommend a good website to purchase their starter kit? Is there any other helpful information I need to know?
    Cheers.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy answer Wayno, simply go through AP site advertiser Quality Camera.

Seeing as how Stu over there consistently gets our orders from Perth to out the back of bloody nowhere in Vic within 24-30 hours I reckon he would have it delivered to YOUR door before you actually ordered it.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ready to Print
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Andrew,
    I am fairly new with a DSLR. Would you suggest sticking with the Cokin filters, or splashing out and getting the Lee filter system?
    Wayne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can afford the price of entry and will use them, then I would suggest Lee. The downside, you will wait 4-6 months to get them because of the huge back orders they have experienced for almost 12 months now. I ordered quite a few things 3rd week Nov 2010, they arrived 1st week May 2011. Expensive, with a long wait, but for the finest there is and handmade with QC second to none, that is sometimes the price....

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne, what lenses do you own or plan to own to use various filters on?

Lenses that accept a screw in filter require filters to match the size of the lens ( 62mm 77mm etc ) and they can be used with step up rings as well so that you can use a 77 mm filter on a 62mm diameter lens. It is not advisable to go the other way though, a 62mm filter on a 77mm lens will cause problems.

The Cokin and Lee systems offer large filters in a holder that can be adapted to varying size lenses with a simple adaptor ring. The holders come in different sizes for the different systems. Cokin for example have the P, X pro and Z pro range that utilise different size filters to match up with dedicated lenses.

Let us know what gear you want to use and what you want to photograph and some of the more experienced filter users can probably help a bit more accurately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys seen the new Tiffen VGND ?

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct...&itemnum=77VND
    Last edited by kiwi; 27-05-2011 at 10:49am.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne, I think if you're uncertain about whether you want to make a long term investment into using filters, I'd start off with some Cokins first. The Z-pro filter holder and Z size filters will cover your needs as they are 100m wide and are perfectly functional. The major issue with them is the magenta cast which may or may not bother you. Eventually, if you use them alot, filters end up needing replacement from scratches that somehow appear on there and if you find you're using filters enough to give them that wear & tear, it might then be an idea to upgrade your kit to Lee or equivalent

With regard to Vari-ND's, I would approach them with caution. They are basically 2 polarising filters stacked on top of each other and while they advertise 2-8 stops of light, my experience with a couple of brands is that they work fine from 2-5/6 stops, but beyond that, you get some bizarre looking crosses appearing on your image. I haven't tried Tiffen's but I figure I already have a good 9 stop and 2 stop and there are very few instances where I've thought to myself - gee I wish I had only 5 stops of light cut out instead of 9.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ready to Print
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own the Canon twin kit 18-55mm lens and the 70-300mm (both 58mm diametre), a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens with 82mm diametre, and I recently bought a 50mm prime lens with a 52mm diamtre. Once I get some coin the Canon 100mm macro lens will be on my radar. They come in at 67mm diamtre.
    The reason I was thinking of the Cokin Z pro's was to accommodate my Sigma wide angle.
    I got hold of Stu @ Quality Cameras and he won't have the Z pro series until July.
    Maybe I should bite the bullet and get the Lee stuff. Any suggested websites? Is overseas an option with the Aussie dollar so strong?
    I am enjoying landscape pics at the moment. But I am working towards portraits and macros once I get that Canon lens.
    Cheers.
    Wayne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert White is one of the biggest Lee re-sellers, they are UK based and cost is on par with the cheapest sellers on the web, all of which are UK based and you can order online. Be prepared to wait though, you will be very unlikely to get Lee gear before July, prob August or later depending on what you order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe try digital camera warehouse for the filter kit, they have had one in stock (not sure if its GND or landscape kit) everytime I have been into the Brisbane store.

You should only need the 82mm adaptor then hit eBay for step up/down rings to adapt it to the other size lenses. That way it only costs $3 for the extra adaptors not $50+.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Ready to Print
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up guys.