User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: What ND filter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What ND filter

I recently took some photos of waterfalls and founs that even at ISO 50 and smallest aperture I couldn't get long enough exposures.

Can anyone recommend an ND filter for Canon 24-70 lens? What sort of price should I expect to pay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get something like the Cokin P series slot in filter system which is a great place to start, and allows the flexabiliy between filters. You can get an ND Filter and holder for Roughly $70 from http://www.qualitycamera.com.au

Or you could go the screw in option, and get the filters for roughly $80 each

Personally I would go with the slot system, depending on how much you are willing to pay, you can go with the cheaper cokin P system then it gets more expensive as you go up to the Cokin Z, Lee and Singhray filters and holders...
    Last edited by mercho; 18-05-2011 at 4:55pm.
    Cheers, Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first question you should ask is if you want a filter system (holder with individual filters) or individual screwn on filters. There are many brands out there and each has differences in terms of quality and cost depending on which option you choose. Personally I find a filter system to be the most appropriate for my needs as I like to mainly shoot landscapes and it's much easier to slide filters in and out of the holder rather than screwing different ones on and off.

In terms of selecting the filter density itself, the ND Filter that you require is completely circumstantial based on how much lighting is available and how much light you want to restrict going through the lens. Typically they come in 1, 2, 3 stops and there are the "big stoppers" which reduce 9-10 stops of light. You can stack filters (apply multiple filters on top of another) to reduce more light but you may be prone to vignetting depending on which end of the zoom your lens is at. Understandably, you will have to do the calculation of how much to increase your exposure by with using ND stoppers to make up for the lost light. I use an iPhone app as that's most handy and practical for me.

As a reference point, I bought a Cokin P Series Gradual ND Filter set with a 77mm adaptor ring for my 10-20mm lens for around $120. I went on to buy 1, 2, and 3 stop ND Filters for about $40 a pop.

I'm sure there are more experienced people in providing you with further advice but I hope this has helped as a starting point.
    -Alan

D700 | D80 | 16-35 | 24-70 | 70-200 | 30 | 50 | 85

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I have an old cokin holder. probably will get the 77mm adaptor ring and filter. Lay-Z, I presume the graduated set only has graduated filters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's correct - if I recall correctly, they package them in B&W, Blue landscape and Wedding kits as well but those were pretty much useless for my needs. I'm surprised they don't have an ND kit on offer as I think they'd sell like hot cakes.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably something wrong with them, but not the price
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    Waiting for mine to arrive, next week.
    Cheers
    Col

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use Cokin P series, usually ND8's full, hard edge grad and soft edge grad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinbm View Post
    Probably something wrong with them, but not the price
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    Waiting for mine to arrive, next week.
    Cheers
    Col
    At that price, I'm tempted to order them to compare the quality vs what i bought locally.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing price. let us know when you get them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cokin have a grad nd kit incl holder, nd 2, 4 and 8 - $114 from Photo and Video Accessories. As mentioned ebay have various knock-offs

Details: H250 Series P ND Graduated Filter Kit [COK463250] these are soft edged.