User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Getting a lens fixed - what does it involve?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a lens fixed - what does it involve?

Hi! I happen to have a very sick lens. The focus mechanism seems to damaged - overall the focus ring is quite stiff, and there are some extra stiff spots and some spots where turning the ring doesn't change the focus, as if it is disengaged for a little while. (I hope my dodgy explanation makes sense!)

So I think I need to take it to a professional repair place. Before I do, though, does anyone have any idea on:
    - What is wrong with it?
    - Can it be fixed?
    - If I take it to a repair place, do check it out first, diagnose the problem, charge me for the diagnosis, then quote for the repair?
    - What's it likely to cost to repair?

Actually, I have another lens that is showing similar symptoms, although very mildly. Oh, and it's all Canon.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be an idea to let people know what model lens it is as that may have an impact on whether it is worth fixing and also whether anyone knows of any "common" faults with that particular lens. For example if you were to consider spending $100.00 to fix a 50mm F/1.8 Canon lens that seems to retail for about $130.00 then it would simply be a waste of money.

As for the cost, simply ring the Canon service centre in Sydney and ask them what they are going to charge you to quote on repairing it and the possible cost of repairs, failing that google lens repairs in your neck of the woods and make some similar enquiries with any business that turns up in a search.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, the one that is very sick is a Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L USM. The one that is just a little sick is the EF 70-200 f/4L USM.

I'll give Canon a call sometime today, I've just never delt with repair places so I'm just seeing if anyone has any tips on what to expect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had repairs done at Andersons in Brisbane who are an authorised repair centre - there was a minimum cost of $100 and then they give you a quote to continue to repair. Id expect to pay at least $500 for what youy are describing as a guess. I had a relatively minor repair done to a 20mm and it cost $250.
    Last edited by kiwi; 18-05-2011 at 10:21am.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used these guys in Sydney before with excellent results and reasonable pricing-

http://www.cameraservicecentre.powerup.com.au/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most strange that both lenses are acting up.
    Where they dropped or something?
    I have the 70-200 F4 that works well
    Regards
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Tokina lens in for a quote for repair after being dropped (same problems that you are having).
    The quote price was $90 and the quoted repair was $800, (not bad for a $400 lens )
    House hold Insurance paid for a new one.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    Most strange that both lenses are acting up.
    Where they dropped or something?
    I have the 70-200 F4 that works well
    Regards
    I got them both in that condition. I'm sure it isn't a very common thing, since they are well known to be high quality lenses.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    I had a Tokina lens in for a quote for repair after being dropped (same problems that you are having).
    The quote price was $90 and the quoted repair was $800, (not bad for a $400 lens )
    House hold Insurance paid for a new one.
    I really didn't want to know that. I dropped my Tokina lens and the thing won't AF or MF but the focus ring moves pretty much the same as usual. I was hoping the fix would be in the order of $250 or so.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the 2.8 is in the loving hands of Canon (North Ryde) now. They estimate $680, 2 weeks. Eek! That was more than I was... hoping... for. They gave me that estimate without doing a formal quote but with just a quick on-the-spot assessment, so I saved the $50 quote fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achee View Post
    Sorry, the one that is very sick is a Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L USM. The one that is just a little sick is the EF 70-200 f/4L USM.

I'll give Canon a call sometime today, I've just never delt with repair places so I'm just seeing if anyone has any tips on what to expect.
    I'm not sure if you've had this addressed or not but, I had a similar problem with the 70mm-200mm F2.8 USM and I had to get the points (ring) changed as they were faulty. Canon told me it was a common problem in that particular lens...albeit I wasn't happy!
    DON - Teachable, always learning, always experimenting, just want to know everything I can about photography!

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junqbox View Post
    I've used these guys in Sydney before with excellent results and reasonable pricing-

http://www.cameraservicecentre.powerup.com.au/
    I have put my Tokina in with them to be repaired and I am waiting for the cost estimate. The lens needs to be disassembled before a quote can be given.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's back! Actually, it took just under a week, and cost... *drumroll*... $84.70! I was very happy. Apparently something was loose inside and needed tightening, so no new parts were involved.

Apart for a few test shots last week, I just did my first photoshoot with it tonight and I'm pretty happy with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, you must be relieved with that!