User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

View Poll Results: Would you pay an entry fee to contribute to a competition prize pool?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO : I would NOT pay to enter competitions in AP

40 76.92%
  • MAYBE : Depends (please tell us your thoughts)

6 11.54%
  • YES : I would pay to enter the occasional competition

6 11.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay to enter an Ausphotography competition, with all entry fees paid back as prize money

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Would you pay to enter an Ausphotography competition, with all entry fees paid back as prize money

Just another idea for something to do on the site occasionally.

If we had the occasional competition where there was an entry fee (say $2.00 or $5.00) to enter, with every cent of the entry fee being returned as prize money for the winner and possibly place-getters, would you enter?

This is not something I have really thought through, just an idea that came to me, and wondered what members thought. For example if we charged $5.00 for an entry, and we got 100 entries, that would leave us with a prize pool of $500.00 to give away for the competition.

Is this something you would be interested in seeing happen on the site occasionally?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, money leads to corruption.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is like putting bets on yourself
    Col

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not really interested in the money as a prize it is more the joy of entering and maybe winning that motivates me. I think the difficulty of paying a couple of dollars is not worthwhile, especailly as you then have to have your credit card details online, which I attempt to keep to a minimum.

Wayne
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, but mostly no
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It becomes a gamble, you are betting on your chances of winning
    I would consider it in fair play & to encourage the competition, you know, in the spirit of things..
    If the prizes were 'more winnable' (don't ask me to define this ?) I guess the enteries would be higher, not just the best, ie best camera, best lens, best PP etc ?
    Col

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, not worth the potential problems.
    I think the occasional comps with prizes are good for a change but see no need to add money into the mix as it would be even more reason for the odd few to try and manipulate things.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like what you do already.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted maybe, for the reasons everyone above has mentioned. But I think it might have some merit to do it one in a while and rather than return all the money as prizemoney, put a percentage of it to AP and towards other site activities or competitions.

I think it would have to be a levels comp to encourage all levels to participate and might be fun and a bit of a way for us to give something back and help with funds to further develop the site.
    Last edited by etherial; 17-05-2011 at 11:21pm.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO... Not really because what is mentioned above. The AP team keep a pretty big eye on what goes on with the site. Not to forget the logistics required to do it.
    I like to see some of these other sponsers do a bit more. estyles and Seagate do a hell of a lot for this site, why can't some of the others.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 18-05-2011 at 5:44am.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone who has contributed so far, and keep the opinions coming, after all, it is the only way I can find out what members like or don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    NO... Not really because what is mentioned above. The AP team keep a pretty big eye on what goes on with the site. Not to forget the logistics required to do it.
    I like to see some of these other sponsers do a bit more. estyles and Seagate do a hell of a lot for this site, why can't some of the others.
    MOST of the site advertisers are commission based ones through commission programmes like www.commissionmonster.com and www.clixgalore.com.au, where I pick the advertiser and set them up and if you click through the banner ads and buy, I (AP) gets a small commission on your purchase. Cause these advertisers use a third party affiliate program, they most likely have no idea that AP even advertisers for them. The commission is paid via the commission program.

Then you get offers like that from cheapcanvasprints, where members get a 50% discount till the end of May on any canvas printing. Other advertisers have done similar in the past as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you did decide to run a couple this way Rick, Maybe give a thought to having an independent Photographer to do the Judging , Just a thought ? , Probably the first time I could use my Debit card to make the payment, Keep on forgetting you can use it without using the Credit card , All the above comments have merit , If it was independently Judged , I would vote Yes
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=William;844727All the above comments have merit , If it was independently Judged , I would vote Yes[/QUOTE]

+1 I too would vote yes if independently judged.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted maybe ; if a prize pool is to be offered, I think the judging would have to be completely external from the participants (as Bill suggested) ; otherwise, no matter how virtuous we all are or pretend to be, there's always that niggle of incentives other than photographic merit that may creep in to the judging process. (no offence meant to anyone!)
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS 5dmk3 : 17-40 F4 L, 70-200F2.8 canon L, 24-70mm canon L, Gitzo Safari +1178 ballhead. |Canon 5dmkII, 16-35mmF2.8 II L, Gitzo 2541 )
    Singh Ray/Hitech/Lee assorted filters, Z pro modified system Cokin holder
    Post : Lightroom 3.6 catalogue -> Export as 16bit TIFF, Edited CS5 -> resized for web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with most the posts above. Adding to that, if one is entering a bunch of comps and consistently only gathering a couple of votes, one would be hard pressed to decide to pay for the opportunity to enter a photo that they're pretty sure will not be able to compete, but they're just interested to see how it goes, for interest's sake.

At this point in time, I know my snaps aren't competing, but it's still fun entering them in and seeing how I go. Not sure if it'd be as much fun if you had to pay.

That said, I can understand if it was every now and then, but my guess is it'd be pretty low on entries and probably only featuring the "big guns" here?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted no purely on the grounds that the idea seems to have an element of elitism to it.
    So far AP has been a forum that is free to join and free to use and Rick has always indicated that he would keep it that way so by introducing a "pay to play", even if only on an irregular basis, competition I can see that some members who may want to enter a competition may not be able to.
    As the system stands now, anyone who has met the fairly relaxed participation requirements can enter any of the competitions on an equal footing with all other members of the site, introducing an entry fee might exclude those members who don't want to make payments on line, don't have accounts that can make payment on line or those who simply cannot afford to pay to enter competitions.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I'm mostly no on this (Andrew's post covers my thoughts), and the poll suggest no, the following is important to be aware of.

If we did do it AP would NOT handle or store CC details (too much risk and its not needed),
    it would be implemented using a 3rd party CC facility, most likely Paypal or an Aussie bank online payment service.
    At no time would member CC details pass through the AP software, all that would happen is our 'order' world get a payment confirmation.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No on 1st, 2nd and 4th thoughts. The 3rd was "Nah! Definitely not."
    On 5th time though I still had No idea why, though I thought along the way that if the prize went to charity...., but the flaw there is that if people don't enter (because they don't think their pics are good enough) then they'd look like cheapskates. (I have enough trouble hiding my cheapskateness as it is.)
    nAm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Maybe give a thought to having an independent Photographer to do the Judging , Just a thought ?
    We already have a facility to do that. I.e. we can create a secondary qualifying poll, and put that in a judges only forum (we could have a panel of judges).
    The biggest issue is getting a qualified judge to put in the effort required.
    Last edited by Kym; 18-05-2011 at 9:59am.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted no. Andrew covers my thoughts above.
    I feel that AP offers enough in the way of prizes, if members want to compete of material reward.
    I think it might also have the potential to undermine the forums and existing comps, as some members might hold back that great shot, waiting for the next big prize competition.
    My thoughts
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast