Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Setting exposure - EV compensation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting exposure - EV compensation

Hi
    I've found that my camera (Nikon D40X) tends to overexpose the image when matrix metering, leading to highlight clipping.

I've been messing about with EV compensation, it ranges from 0.3 to 2.3 EV, depending on how high contrast the image is.

Is this an acceptable way of working (mess about with EV compensation until you get an image without highlight clipping) or is there a more professional way of doing it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EV compensation works well, in addition you can on most Nikons actually set a default EV comp for all photos too if you find it's a consistent problem to you.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i find my nikons tend to 'protect' the shadows too, thus prefering to blow out
    the highlights. use Kiwi's recommendation above its quick and easy. its not really a fault as such its the way the sensors are calibrated at the factory.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been using my nikon d5000 now for about 18 months and have found for some reason I am now starting to use my Exposure Comp alot more than i used too. Maybe its because I understand it alot more now. But I have found the that when I use the A,S or M modes Im more starting to use the cameras Histogram to check if an image is correct, and from that I can adjust the Exposure Comp to make sure Highlights and Shadows are not Blown...