Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Rapid RS-5 vs RS-7 vs Q-Strap

G'day all

Looking at getting a rapid strap for touring around Europe, wondering how bulky the 5 is and can it be used with a backpack on? Also looking at the 7 (flatter) and the q-strap, bit worried about cheap strap vs expensive camera tho.
    Thoughts?
    Cheers

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use a q-strap. works fine. have used it in conjunction with a backpack.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the RS-5 and have found it very good. So much better than a standard neck strap!! I used mine along with my backpack through my Europe trip and found it quite manageable. I put the strap on first, then my backpack and they sit reasonably well together. I often put it on underneath a jacket as well.

The RS7 look like a good option though, I do find the 5 to be a little bulky and to be honest I rarely use the storage areas in it. The phone holder isn't really big enough for a phone, but good for a spare battery and the other holders aren't useful for much, maybe just business cards. I do hold a spare memory card in there but that worries me a bit given all the magnets in the pouches! I'm not really familiar with the Q-Strap. All that considered, I would probably go with the RS7.

(Off course you can borrow mine if you want to try it out and see if you like it!!)
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the RS-5 all the time and find I have no problem using it with a back pack (only used occaisionaly) - I actually like and use the storage facilities on the RS-5 - find them very useful, phone pocket will take iPhone 4 or similar sized phone.So much better than neck straps - no aching shoulder or neck at the end of the day.Have tried one of the copies of a Black Rapid - was ok, but would be very wary of putting a pro sized and weighted camera with a dececent lens on them - quality of stitching in the joins did not appear to be as strong or upto the same standard as the Black Rapid.Use mine with a 5DII (gripped) and 1DIIn with 70-200 f2.8 and 300 lens and find they are comfortable to wear and use for exstended periods. - Highly recomend them.
    Mike
    Canon 5DmkII, Canon 1DmkIIN, EF 24-105 f4LIS, EF 70-200 f2.8LIS, EF 135 f2L,EF 300 f4LIS, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100 f2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 50 f1.4 EXDG, 580EX & 420EX,Cokin P filters.
    Tamrac Ultra Pro 17 bag,Lowpro Toploader 75AW,Lowpro Outback 200 belt pack,Black Rapid RS-5 and R-3,Aperture 3,Elements 8.
    Wacom Intuos 4 tablet.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All valid points Mike. I've also just remembered there was a strap out of Europe somewhere (Germany maybe?) that was similar that had a steel cable through it which made it much more secure from theft and much more sturdy. I always felt my camera was safe though as it hangs at a nice height that you can always keep your hand on it to keep it secure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got a rapid strap and i dont know what i would do with out it. I Do a lot of walking 10k plus in a day and even with the very heavy camera it never gets get uncomfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Black Rapid RS-7 on my 50D and Canon 100-400 and find it fabulous. Have used it with a Lowepro AW Mini Trekker and had no problems. Black Rapid on first then the back pack.
    I would not worry about getting any of the pouches for the Black Rapid as they are rather expensive for their size and comments on some of the UK forums from people who purchased them say they are a waste of money.
    I also wear a vest which gives me heaps of pockets to put lens covers in, mobile phone, maps etc and the odd lens or two from my backpack so I have quick access to them at any time.
    The Sun-Sniper is the one with the steel cable through it.

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a RS-4 and is quite comfortable even with a 70-200 and a battery grip
    D7000
    D40X
    10.5mm f/2.8
    12-24mm f/4
    35mm f/1.8
    70-200mm f/2.8 OS
    www.flickr.com/green_pea