User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Which paper type should I choose for this print?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which paper type should I choose for this print?

Friends have given me a voucher for online printing for by birthday (customphoto), and I am going to get my Boatramp photo printed... I have three choices for the paper type:

1. Metallic
    2. Hahnemuhle
    3. Canson Fine

Does anyone have suggestions which would look best as I cannot see any examples. I will be printing 24x30 size.

The Boat Ramp by milbs1, on Flickr

Thanks
    Last edited by Milbs1; 14-05-2011 at 4:01pm.
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know the other two papers Shirl. I have printed on fujiplex - its beautiful and I got a couple of bird images printed on metallic - I didn't think it was as nice as the fujiplex. But, you really need to hear from landscape people, who have printed these types of shots. It does make a difference what you print on. When I have had my pictures judged, often comments are made about the quality of print and paper.

Sorry I am not much help.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of Hahnemuhle, do you know? They make a few different types. I've used their Photo Rag, which is a matte paper, and I've used various Canson papers. If you're going to put it behind glass, then a matte paper is fine and Photo Rag is very highly regarded. I stopped using it because my printers hate it, but that won't be a problem in your situation. I really like the Canson papers I've used too. If anything, you'll probably find them a bit more punchy looking - not quite as delicate as PR. Either will be good though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Landscapes with water, look amazing on metallic, I have one of as sunrise here in Tasmania, done as a pano, nearly a metre long. Using metallic, the water glistens. I would have to say if you do this in metallic you will not be disappointed.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote here for metallic.
    Last edited by Paul G; 14-05-2011 at 9:06pm.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input.
    Soulman - I dont know anything more than "Hahnemuhle" I'm afraid.
    I may give metallic I go

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know for the up-coming Canon AIPP APPA awards they are offering all accredited AIPP members a FREE Inkjet printing service (sponsored by Kayell Australia in conjunction with Canson Infinity Fine Art and Photo Inkjet Papers and Epson Australia). So the Canson paper may be very good.

Note I haven't tried any of them. IS there any way you can get to a printing place, anywhere, and get a look at some prints on the various choices? Or even order a very small size print on each of the papers and then decide?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Odille, some sensible ideas there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst Metallic do look very good with water, this shot isnt really pure water but more so mists going over the jetty - have you had a look at the 'Giclee' fine arts paper? Its a textured type photo paper and is favoured a lot in fine arts prints esp in the APPA comps. With the water mists and Giclee paper it would create a very surreal/dreamy look to it.

But what I really recommend you to do is to print the photo on a small 6x4 inch on several types of papers to see how it looks and feels, before splurging on a big one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    ...have you had a look at the 'Giclee' fine arts paper? Its a textured type photo paper and is favoured a lot in fine arts prints esp in the APPA comps...
    Isn't giclée just a new name for archival quality inkjet prints? The Hahnemuhle & Canson papers would both produce giclée prints when printed with archival pigment inks such as Epson's Ultrachrome K3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    Isn't giclée just a new name for archival quality inkjet prints? The Hahnemuhle & Canson papers would both produce giclée prints when printed with archival pigment inks such as Epson's Ultrachrome K3.
    Hence I put it in apostrophe, since the name is more common than the aforementioned to those who have no experience in different types of papers.