Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: L Plate for D90 with MB-D80

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L Plate for D90 with MB-D80

Hi all,

I am in the market for an L Plate for my D90 that has an MB-D80 battery pack.

I also want to upgrade my ball head.

I have been looking at the Really Right Stuff ballheads and L Plate combo, but unfortunately, the L Plate that Really Right Stuff offers is only for the standard camera without the MB-D80 battery pack.

So, I looked elsewhere and found an L Plate by Kirk that will suit my D90 with the MB-D80 attached to it.

My question is, does anyone know if the Kirk L Plate will fit a Really Right Stuff ball head or will I need to buy a ball head from Kirk to suit their L Plate. I would rather have the Really Right Stuff ballhead.

Any help or advice welcomed.
    Often beaten, never scared.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

both manufacturer's products use the Arca-swiss type clamps and plates, so they are interchangable, UNLESS you are using the quick-release type clamp, which sometimes has a problem with different tolerances. If you use the screw-type clamp you will have no problems. I have a Markins ball head, an RRS rail and clamp, and a Kirk L-bracket and they all work together very well. IMO the Kirk and RRS gear seems pricey, but when you get it you will realise why, it is really well made.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi dave, thanks for that. I think I will go with the Kirk L plate and the RRS ball head combo, seems to me that is the best/only combo I have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a RRS L-Plate with a Kirk clamp on a Manfrotto head. I recall reading on their respective sites at the time that one was not as universal as the other. Well worth confirming before you purchase.