User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering between Canon 5Dmkii & 7D... HELP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Considering between Canon 5Dmkii & 7D... HELP!

Morning all,
    I know this has been done to death but I’m in desperate need of help! I currently have a 50D and looking to get a second body as I have a few jobs coming up and at this rate buying another body would be more cost effective than renting another body for each job.
    I do mostly, weddings, fashion portraits, family portraits and architecture (diverse yes, but I’m an architect by day hence the interest in architecture

Now a pro tog friend has recommended that I was for the 5dmkiii (rumoured to be released by the end of the year- but we’ve all heard that for a while! LOL) and either get teh mkii as the price should drop or the mkiii. Problem is I can’t wait that long to get the second body!
    He works for a different camera crew and they find that the 7D doesn't meet their needs for early morning shoots or church shoots (they push it up to 3200iso on their 5ds and tested that with the 7D as well)

So my idea was get the 7D for the interim and when the 5D mkiii is released, sell the 50D and purchase that or the mkii instead. 7D was released not too long ago so fingers crossed they’re not releasing a new one already!
    And will purchase the 24-70L f/2.8 to go with it. (Would prob purchase this earlier with the 7D if i go the 7d route now)

Help anyone????.....Thanks!!

Carol B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For architecture work, getting good wide angle images will be VERY important. The full frame on the 5DmkII would allow you to get better wide-angle shots with a 24-70 f/2.8. If you get the 5DmkII now, and the 5DmkIII when it comes out, you'll be able to get good wide-angle shots now and use the same lens on both cameras. If you went with the 7D, you'd have to buy a special EF-S lens for wide-angle work, which wouldn't be compatible with the 5DmkIII when it comes out.

Just something to think about...
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered getting a second hand 5DmkII? I bought mine second hand, as I had just bought a new 7D and wanted to find out what full frame was about without paying the price for a new one. It turns out I love it and now, like you, I'm anticipating the release of the mkIII!

Having said that, I wouldn't swap my 7D for the world - it's my favourite for birding and action.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I have both 5d mk2 an the 7d both are good bodies but with a lot of differences. But for the kind of work you do I think the 5d mark 2 will be better because of the full frame you could always use a tilt shift lens which is made specifically for architecture work. The 5d mark 2 I find better performer in low light and the lowest iso in it is 50 the 7d has 100. Then there is the obvious the 21 mp on the 5d mk2 useful for cropping images.

The 7d on the other hand has a better 19 pt auto focussing system an few focussing screens to cheese from. I find it very useful for macro work as you can shift the auto focus points while focussing it's even good for bird photography because of the crop factor 100mm will be 160mm on a 7d. Hope this helps.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5D mk II is going to be better than the 7D at everything you want it for. And it will still be better next year when the mk III comes out.

I'd buy it now if I needed it, then if you want you can sell the 50D and get the mk III when it arrives.

There have been rumours of a 7D mk II for a while now too.

Reportedly Canon have finally lodged a patent for a 24-70 mk II - so you could wait for that as well.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the camera which will do the job today and worry about the new one if and when it arrives. It might just not be all that much better, who knows where the digital technology will go.
    There is not much point in trying to second guess when and what will be produced.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7D mk II???....Oh goodness!

Ah so now the 5Dmkiii is rumoured for release next year?, it does get dragged out everytime i read about it! Haha, but may consider Michaela's suggestion to get a second hand body for the interim.

Yes, if i had purchase the 7D, i would've got the EFS 10-20 as ultimately i'd like a spare crop body for travels, lugging the 580EXII on the 5D for travels doesn't seem as appealing, LOL!!!! Sothe crop with a handy pop-up would be a nice side cam from work as well....if that made any sense??!?!?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh sorry,

Just realised i'm supposed to post a general reply here!

Thanks for all the replies, truly appreciate it!!

Carol

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I don't have your problem, bad enough having to decide without having to factor in rumors.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from my personal uses, if you do not require greater freames/second I would go for the 5d2. The ability to shoot much shallower DoF is a great advanatge of the 35mm sensor. IQ wise 5d2 is better but not that far behind is the 7d. The Af speed on 5d2 is not so fast, but it does a good job if your subject is bigger and not moving so fast.
    I like to shoot sports so I could never live with just a 5d2 :P
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian628 View Post
    ...IQ wise 5d2 is better but not that far behind is the 7d...
    Hey Fabian. Care to elucidate?
    Ummm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Hey Fabian. Care to elucidate?
    Ummm...
    at the higher iso I feel the 5d2 keeps detail better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had both the 7d and 5d classic, one thing I notice between the two was the detail of the shots from the 5d were much better, the 7d seem to have a little better dynamic range, but the sharpness and clarity was certainly better from the 5d, so I imagine the MKII would be as good if not better.
    Seeing you already have a descent crop sensor camera in the 50d, I'd be leaning toward the 5d, it just seems to suit your needs better than the 7.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dulvariprestige View Post
    I had both the 7d and 5d classic, one thing I notice between the two was the detail of the shots from the 5d were much better, the 7d seem to have a little better dynamic range, but the sharpness and clarity was certainly better from the 5d, so I imagine the MKII would be as good if not better.
    Seeing you already have a descent crop sensor camera in the 50d, I'd be leaning toward the 5d, it just seems to suit your needs better than the 7.
    lower MP's will usually be favourable in hiding problems with lenses. If you shoot average glass with 7D it will resolve all the issues with the lens also
    21MP 5d2 resolves small CA's on the 300 2.8 when I never saw any with the 1d3 which is 10mp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started off with a 50D and was never happy with it's high iso performance. I'll happily ramp the 5DMKII up to 6400 (with no flash as I prefer natural lighting however low it is) and have no issues with IQ.
    AKA Sean

Canon 5D MKII - 24-105L - 70-200 F4L IS - 70-300 IS USM - 28 1.8 - 35L 1.4 - 50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 100L Macro - 200L 2.8II - Tamron 17-35 2.8 - Sigma 150-500 - 430EX - and a stack of other bits and pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...so now I am a bit confused having read all of this. I have a 40D and intend to upgrade to a 5D MK2 before 30th June (tax claim you see). I was under the impression that my Canon L series lenses would be ideal in the full frame camera (as well as the 40D).
    Comments?
    Last edited by acko; 14-05-2011 at 12:31pm.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acko View Post
    OK...so now I am a bit confused having read all of this. I have a 40D and intend to upgrade to a 5D MK2 before 30th June (tax claim you see). I was under the impression that my Canon L series lenses would be ideal in the full frame camera (as well as the 40D).
    Comments?
    They will, I don't think anyone's debating that. You can't do much more than to buy the best glass available anyway.

That said, they are upgrading / have recently upgraded most of the popular L-series lenses.. no doubt at least partly due to the higher pixel density of current and upcoming cameras.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ausguitarman View Post
    I started off with a 50D and was never happy with it's high iso performance. I'll happily ramp the 5DMKII up to 6400 (with no flash as I prefer natural lighting however low it is) and have no issues with IQ.
    True! I prefer low light as well and it's painful to see a good shot ruined by too much noise, but do you take your 5DmkII for extensive travels?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I'm glad I don't have your problem, bad enough having to decide without having to factor in rumors.
    LOL! yes, all these rumours are doing my head in!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian628 View Post
    from my personal uses, if you do not require greater freames/second I would go for the 5d2. The ability to shoot much shallower DoF is a great advanatge of the 35mm sensor. IQ wise 5d2 is better but not that far behind is the 7d. The Af speed on 5d2 is not so fast, but it does a good job if your subject is bigger and not moving so fast.
    I like to shoot sports so I could never live with just a 5d2 :P
    Thanks! At the moment the 5Dmkii or 7D would be another body for upcoming wedding shoots, or rather the 50D will be the second body then, LOL!

Sounds like it's the 5D mkII for me?...like Aco, would prob get it in time for the financial year tax?....Canon better not release mk III int he coming months!!!... hahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast