User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Can some one help with old rustic locations around Geelong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can some one help with old rustic locations around Geelong.

My sister in law has asked me to photograph her wedding for her this weekend. I am in Geelong and and hoping that someone might be able to point me in the direction of old rustic locations around Geelong for example old falling down sheds or old houses with lots of long grass etc.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but leaving the location decisions to the week before the wedding is way to late, and you are experiencing the issues surrounding leaving it so late. I hope someone can come up with ideas for you, but in reality, this should have been sorted weeks ago
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm not that i can think of off the top of my head..... maybe try out anakie way....... stiglitz..... there should be old places out there.... il keep thinking....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what side of Geelong the wedding is I suppose - but like Rick said - you are leaving it rather late. There's the old monier arch bridge at Fyansford and a few old places out at Stieglitz, I'm sure there are a few wineries around too but usually you have to book this locations well in advance.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamilton Highway, out near Inverleigh is an option.

There is an old church up on a steep hill(on the RHS of the road as you head out west).

Can't remember every specific detail other than you can't miss it as it's only 10 or so meters off the highway.
    I don't think it's in use as a church(many old churches are, such as the nice old bluestone church at Shelford).

I haven't personally ever had the opp to stop and photograph this old church on the Hamilton, either been busy or unflattering conditions or whatever, but I think it's a great location considering the elevated aspect.

A big issue is also going to be access to the old falling down sheds or houses, which almost certainly will be on private land. You will need to ask for permission from the landowners, and they can be impossible to track down in some instances.

If you are up for a 1 hour drive, there is one specific location I do know of, with GPS coordinates that may be of help, of an old run down shed, and close enough to the side of the road where access permission wouldn't necessarily be required, but it is along the northern edge of Lake Corrangamite, hence about an hour drive(from memory south of a small location called Berrybank).

DSF_6615.jpg

on second thought, it's not what I remember it to be, and I got slightly confused. It's an old siding of some kind, still pretty much run down and ruined, but access is easy, and I believe legit. The road on the RHS of the scene is the highway from Foxhound to Camperdown.. easy highway access. But far out from Geelong for a wedding shoot.
    The other location I was confusing this site with is even further out and on unmade roads, but still public roads.

I'd have to chase up the GPS coordinates(if at all possible), but the run down shed looks to be about exactly as your requirements .. but it's a drive .. way out into the boonies!!

While this old shed/hall/schoolhouse/whatever may be more suitable, it's another 1/2 hour drive on unsealed roads along the western flank of Corangamite.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd be interesting for lists like these. While some people may disagree and say it's up to you but for people time poor or people learning it could help you understand location scouting and seeing different interpritations of locations.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasdaley View Post
    It'd be interesting for lists like these. While some people may disagree and say it's up to you but for people time poor or people learning it could help you understand location scouting and seeing different interpritations of locations.
    I agree, but Australia is huge and to create lists that cover each state, let alone local regions is a bit beyond what this forum is here for. Certainly lists of photography locations do exist. My comment was specific to WEDDINGS. Weddings require a lot of planning and anyone shooting one, should be organised well before the event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats fair enough. I've been on flickr map and I could see how the list could be crazy stupid. But it helped me figure out what I really wanted. I like to photograph people, portraits and in a nice place. I have remembered a nice courtyard behind a cafe in pako that I might check out again. Now I'm going to brainstorm a list of hidden or out of the way places for people photography. Just need to find subjects.