Ok I love my DSLRs and have travelled around the world with a pack weighing more than my back and shoulders can cope with.
As I have posted in another thread, I am looking at high altitude trekking in Nepal and am worried that a heavy pack of DSLR goodies will just ruin my enjoyment of the trip. I have carted multiple lenses, tripods, Colkin z-pro grads and other camera gear from the Sahara desert to floating villages in Cambodia. So the question is how do I still take some great photos and possible some video and reduce the weight on my back?? I am very tempted to get a Sony Nex-5 and try it out 6 months before I head off to Nepal and India. As I never buy gear in half measures, I was thinking of getting the 18-200 lens as well as the the pancake lens.

So what have others found? Any comments? Any alternatives. I am going to also give one of my daughters an indestructible waterproof, shock and freeze proof Point and Shoot to grab some shots when we are rafting - she also like to push the limits with gear so this is the ideal camera for her.

So help please!