Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Traveling with camera gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling with camera gear.

Hey guys,

Im heading to perth on monday and im flying over just wondering (as this is my first time taking my gear on a plane) where do you store your gear on the plane?

I have a lowepro flipside 400 AW camera bag with all my gear in it.

Also anytips to help prevent damage would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it as carry on luggage, if possible put it at your feet rather than in the overhead locker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its too eavy until you are onboard just sling the camera(s) around your neck, stuff lenses in your pockets etc....its just the bag that has to weigh < 8kg or whatever it is
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got pinged last month coming BACK from Indonesia and they wanted to weigh my carry on luggage! I had 16kg in my bag, including my tripod on the outside. I was able to re-pack the tripod into my dive bag, but I still had 14kg in the camera bag. I was starting to pull out the camera and laptop when the check-in girl called over her supervisor - as soon as I said/she saw it was camera gear, "Its no problem, no problem." So tell them whats in there if they weigh it and then want you to check it in.
    Canon 5D Mk II - gripped, Samyang 14mm f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm Macro f2.8L, 70-200mm IS II f2.8L, Gitzo CF tripod and Gitzo CF monopod, Acratech GP Ballhead, Manfrotto Video Fluid Head, Intervalometer, and lots of other stuff!

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a Lowepro Flipside 400 on the plane with my Nikon gear, weighing about 8kg all up, to Europe and then later to Singapore and there were no issues. I even had a couple of pouches on the waist belt, where I put another camera body and flash, on my trup to Singapore I generally put it under the seat in front where I can keep an eye on it rather than in the overhead locker as I am a bit paranoid. I do not think you will have any issues with taking the Flipside 400 on the plane.
    Last edited by Lance B; 12-05-2011 at 11:39pm. Reason: additional info

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I took a Lowepro Flipside 400 on the plane with my Nikon gear, weighing about 8kg all up, to Europe and then later to Singapore and there were no issues. I even had a couple of pouches on the waist belt, where I put another camera body and flash, on my trup to Singapore I generally put it under the seat in front where I can keep an eye on it rather than in the overhead locker as I am a bit paranoid. I do not think you will have any issues with taking the Flipside 400 on the plane.
    Heh, I flew back from Shanghai with my gear + laptop in carry on baggage. I felt really nervous leaving it at my seat whenever I went to the bathroom.

Qantas never seem to check the weight, for what it is worth. And you can get away with two carry on bags if one is clearly a laptop. I'm sure they occasionally do check the weight, but they haven't for 6 flights now.
    Panasonic GH2 --- Pana 7-14mm --- Pana 100-300mm --- Pana f1.7/20mm --- Panaleica f2.8/45mm macro --- Pana 14-45mm
    Canon G10 when I want to pocket it.