Thread: Some Advice On Filters

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THank you Whitefire and CarlR

It's difficult to make generic suggestions but on the whole, I think go with easier to use grads first ie
    try what results you get with a 2 stop ND rather than a 9 or 10 stop
    try what results you get with a soft edged GND rather than hard or reverse edge - maybe start with 2 or 3 stops as well?
    don't go all out with the most expensive stuff unless you think that after using them, GNDs are the way to go for you rather than exposure blending
    and of course, a circular screw on polariser
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dylan...quick Q. II have the Lee Foundation kit holder with hitech grads. If I want to use a CPL (dont own one yet, but I WANT and NEED one lol) deos this mean I have to handhold the grads?
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shirl - I don't have the the Lee holder so I can't give you a reliable answer on that , however, with a filter holder screwed on, I suspect you will be able to do it with the CPL but when you want to change from portrait to landscape, that might give you some difficulty depending on how it attaches? - how's the holder? does it vignette at 10mm ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the holder...but dont have anything to compare it to! I haven't found noticeable vignetting, but did invest in the ultra thin adapter rings for wide angle lenses so that may have made a difference. I have an unused UV filter somewhere..I'll try and see if that fits on with the adapter ring screwed on too. Its pretty easy to take off the filter holder (leaving the adapter ring in place) so if they do both fit, adjusting the CPL and then slotting the holder back on ought to be relatively simple.

I was shooting at an orchard on the weekend, and there was lots of dew around. I reckon a CPL would have been awesome on the leaves....

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks shirl - I think I might finally take a look into getting those holders - there's only so much filter replacing one can afford before banging head on brick wall !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just recently been introduced to the world of filters, and your article just at least doubled my knowledge .

Thanks you for a well laid out and informative post.

Cheers
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just broughjt a heap of hitech filters to try out. i tried to get a circular polarizing filter to go into my holder but cant seem to find one. is it ok for me to buy a screw on one then put the holder on with filters that are needed. I would have to adjust the polarizing first then put the holder and filters on wouldnt i. what would the best polarizing filter to get.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrphotography View Post
    I have just broughjt a heap of hitech filters to try out. i tried to get a circular polarizing filter to go into my holder but cant seem to find one. is it ok for me to buy a screw on one then put the holder on with filters that are needed. I would have to adjust the polarizing first then put the holder and filters on wouldnt i. what would the best polarizing filter to get.
    Yes you can screw on a polariser, then attach your filter holder..BUT.. you could find that you can see the sides of the filter holder in the viewfinder, especially when using wider angle lenses. So you may have to crop, or zoom to ensure that the filter holder isn't visible in your final photos.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice article, wish I read this before I bought my polarising filter for the 70 - 200mm lens I have ... I may have just wasted my $$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice article, I bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks a lot
    Canon 6D, Canon 450D
    Canon 24-105 f4, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 18-55mm(kit lens) and 55-250 mm(kit lens)
    Speedlight 430EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou, I found this quite inspiring. I don't own filters yet, I've always wanted to but am horrible with making the final decision to purchase anything. This has prompted me to do something about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12