User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Export/Import metadata in PS CS5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Export/Import metadata in PS CS5

I'm having a weird problem with CS5 I hope someone can sort out for me please.

I want to export Metadata from one image and import it into another. Here's what I'm doing:

1) Open a TIF image I've been working on. File/File Info shows me the camera data.
    2) While in File Info, I select Export and create an XMP file.
    3) File/New to create a new image. In the case a white 16bit image that will be a mat.
    4) In this new image, File/File Info/Import, select the XMP file and the first option, OK.

Problem is, no data is imported. Doesn't matter which option I choose in step 4.

I'd greatly appreciate someone pointing out the obvious thing my "boy" eyes are missing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the same steps that you have, and the results are very similar, but I end up with the IPTC core data being imported. Guessing this isnt what you are chasing. What data are you after in your new file? Camera Data? I can imagine you cant do this with CS5 - you would be tricking the program at some level - but some of the EXIF editors might allow you to do this. http://www.photome.de/home_en.html seems to be very popular, and its free!
    http://www.opanda.com/en/pe/index.html looks powerful, but the full version isnt free.
    Canon 5D Mk II - gripped, Samyang 14mm f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm Macro f2.8L, 70-200mm IS II f2.8L, Gitzo CF tripod and Gitzo CF monopod, Acratech GP Ballhead, Manfrotto Video Fluid Head, Intervalometer, and lots of other stuff!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that.

I'm after the camera or exif data. If I open the exported XMP file (exported from a TIFF) with Notepad I see it has all the EXIF data in it. So it looks like an issue with importing.

I've tried doing this within Bridge and CS5, and importing into a TIFF, PSD and JPEG with the same result.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having spent hours trawling the net it appears that while CS5 will export image data (including camera and EXIF) to an XMP file, EXIF is not imported during the Import XMP process. This seemed to work in earlier versions of CS.