User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Help with unwanted spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with unwanted spot

I have a problem with my D90 'recording' a spot, blemish, call it what you will, in landscsape format only. Strange, I know, but i do not see the spot in portrait images. See the circled area in pic below.

This does not show on all images due to backgrounds, aperture, etc. When I do notice it of course, I have to resort to PP action and that generally does the job. It is a nuicance though, when I have taken many similar shots and have to manipulate each one.

My question is, does anyone know why this should only occur in landscape, and secondly, will an air rocket or similar dislodge the offending blemish?

All and any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Steve.
    No matter what anyone says, it's your photo!

Nikon D90, Nikkor AF-S 18-55 VR, Nikkor AF-S 55-200 VR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can definitely test it out, set the aperture to f/22 or thereabouts, go outside and point it up at blue sky and then see if it's still visible.

But it does look like a dust bunny to me. And I'd say a Rocket blower would be a good place to start.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, it is a speck of dust on the sensor ( more accurately, the filter over the sensor ) and it may be dislodged with good clean compressed air from a can.

If you are in any doubt about the process of cleaning in there take your camera to a reputable repair centre and ask them to clean it.

If you go out and find a clear blue sky, set the camera aperture to F/16 and take a picture of that sky I reckon you will see a few more of them.
    They breed like rabbits, guess that's why they call them dust bunnies.
    Last edited by I @ M; 09-05-2011 at 3:14pm.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont recommend compressed air if you don't know what you are doing. As discussed a rocket blower is good.....does the d90 have built in sensor cleaner ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there is an option to clean the sensor - which I just checked and it has been turned off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, just be aware it may not move the dust on its own, but, usuall does quite a good job. Just set It to automatically do at startup, I don't see any downside in doing it.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spending $20.00 on a rocket blower is good for --- adding the cost of the blower to the price of the sensor clean.
    There is a video out there on the 'net that shows how much dust was added to a sensor by using a rocket blower, they are after all, only pumping air from outside the camera that contains dust into the camera.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can fix those spots ..... by using the healing brush in photoshop lol
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use compressed air , As said a Rocket Blower is a good way , But dont get to paranoid over one spot , When you get 5 or 6 It may be time to give the sensor a clean, I do my own , Only every now and then with an "Eclipse" Sensor Cleaning kit,
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's nothing to worry about, as said in the posts above it's a simple matter to clean dust bunnies like these off....but there are many ways to do this and not everyone agrees on which one is best. Personally, I use a sensor brush from a company called visible dust to clean my digital camera sensors, rocket blowers merely shift the dust bunnies somewhere else. For example; with computers it isn't recommended practice to clean dust out of computers with compressed air of any kind because you can force the dust into areas where it can cause more problems further down the road and I treat my digital cameras the same way. I remove the dust before it can cause even more trouble - blowing the dust around can sometimes cause it to get stuck in your viewfinder, and that can be downright annoying and can require even more effort to remove it.
    Last edited by Othrelos; 09-05-2011 at 9:07pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many methods available to clean sensors, all have advantages and disadvantages. The following site list just about all of the methods and kits on the market. It also contains a great deal of useful information on these methods.

http://blog.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

Hoipe this helps.
    "We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beethoven1414

BEFORE you going to clean you sensor, please also read the following links in detail.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/faq.html

Long story short, just 2 days ago I have tried to use rocket blower to clean 1 x dust spec.... and I ended up with 1000s more.

While I am in a hurry to get the sensor clean, I have put my camera to a professional to do the clean up and it will cost me $80!