User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Looking to get some softboxes

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    29 Apr 2011
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Looking to get some softboxes

    Hey,

    Looking to get some soft boxes for studio work. I will also be doing on location for car/motorbike.
    I have never used one before but have used umbrellas.

    has anyone used these? Am i being to stingy and wasteing my time? are they actually decent?
    reviews on the page make them look good.

    *removed. members with less than 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot post links to anything other than their own personal website : refer to the site rules - rule 19: admin*

    Was looking at getting these as an alternative, i know elinchrom have a name for themselves but if i can get away with a decent set for half the cost then why not Also any comments on this set?

    *removed. members with less than 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot post links to anything other than their own personal website : refer to the site rules - rule 19: admin*


    looking to spend under 1k.
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-05-2011 at 4:11pm.
    Cheers
    H.B

  2. #2
    Moderately Underexposed I @ M's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 2007
    Location
    Marlo, Far East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confusing question.

    Are you looking to buy lights as well as just the modifiers?

    If you already own some lights then that will have an influence on the type of modifiers that you buy.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    28 Aug 2008
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those softboxes are pretty small, good for something like portraits and half body shots primarily. If you want to shoot vehicles I would suggest at least a 150cm to 200cm softbox, for better light spread and wrap around effect. In saying so, bigger softboxes require more powerful strobes to make the most of it. I have a 200cm softbox which is great for full body models and small groups of people, and cars - but sometimes I wish I had more powerful lights than my 500ws strobes atm.

  4. #4
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    29 Apr 2011
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Confusing question.

    Are you looking to buy lights as well as just the modifiers?

    If you already own some lights then that will have an influence on the type of modifiers that you buy.
    Im confused, thought they come with lights? or are you talking about additional lights for effect?

  5. #5
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    29 Apr 2011
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    those softboxes are pretty small, good for something like portraits and half body shots primarily. If you want to shoot vehicles I would suggest at least a 150cm to 200cm softbox, for better light spread and wrap around effect. In saying so, bigger softboxes require more powerful strobes to make the most of it. I have a 200cm softbox which is great for full body models and small groups of people, and cars - but sometimes I wish I had more powerful lights than my 500ws strobes atm.
    Thanks for your response. already sounds like the ebay softboxes isnt the way to go for what i want it for.

  6. #6
    Moderately Underexposed I @ M's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 2007
    Location
    Marlo, Far East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ulletz View Post
    Im confused, thought they come with lights? or are you talking about additional lights for effect?
    By the looks of that ad they come with compact flouro lights that would have a hard time lighting the inside of a dog kennel, I think you would be wasting your money on them for anything more than very very close up product photography.
    Anything the size of a person, let alone a car will require a tonne more light than they will put out.

  7. #7
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    29 Apr 2011
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    By the looks of that ad they come with compact flouro lights that would have a hard time lighting the inside of a dog kennel, I think you would be wasting your money on them for anything more than very very close up product photography.
    Anything the size of a person, let alone a car will require a tonne more light than they will put out.
    Cheers,
    Just wanted another opinion.

  8. #8
    Account Closed reaction's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    792
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want a soft light for something, in general the light must be bigger than the thing, esp a reflective thing like a car.

    when I was at ferrari showroom they had these light panels above the cars that were the full size of each car. the light was amazing.

  9. #9
    Ausphotography Veteran
    Join Date
    26 Nov 2008
    Location
    Booval, Qld (near Ipswich)
    Posts
    2,018
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, a good general rule of thumb, a softbox must be no more than 2x it's diagonal away from your subject. If it is, you loose the wonderful soft effect that a softbox produces.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Feb 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allann View Post
    Also, a good general rule of thumb, a softbox must be no more than 2x it's diagonal away from your subject. If it is, you loose the wonderful soft effect that a softbox produces.
    I hadn't heard that ratio but yes, almost sounds crazy that the closer the light the softer it is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Website : http://www.peakactionimages.com
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

  11. #11
    Account Closed reaction's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    792
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know, for a speedlight softbox where the light is facing forwards, is there a difference btwn a softbox where the inside is white or silver reflective material?
    The silver reflective would only be reflecting whatever came back off the inner baffle, which should be very little.

  12. #12
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    29 Apr 2011
    Location
    Mandurah
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like im going to need to research into softboxes and my needs more. Cheers for the comments guys.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    04 Apr 2010
    Location
    Perth Metro Area
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try talking to Stu from Quality cameras.
    He is one of our sponsers and is down your way - Bibra Lakes I think.
    Really good, friendly and helpfull to boot.

    http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •