Hi, i am a keen fisherman, and a fishing journalist currently writing for 3 different fishing magazines and a local newspaper column each week. My photographic work is done with a Canon EOS 50d which is an awesome camera.
Between myself and my wife, over the years we have owned a 300d, 350d, 30d, 40d, and 50d so i have had tonnes of experience Canon.
I am thinking about making the change to pentax for my fishing journalism for a couple of reasons. 1)smaller size, 2)i like the look of the time lapse feature 3)most importantly....my wife will have the Canon 50D and therefor i wont have to worry about ooking under the bed or on the floor of the car for lenses and any accessories i pick up along the way.
I want a camera that is unique to me, that i can be fully accountable for. If i dont get a pentax, i will be getting something, perhaps a nikon or an olympus.
I am going through a phase in my life where i am enjoying steering away from big name brands, which is why i am steering towards pentax.
The model I am eyeing off is the pentax Kr.
I dont need bells and whistles, i dont need high speed burst mode(which it has anyway), i just need decent image quality for my magazine work.
My questions are,
*Lenses aside, is the off the camera JPG image quality from a pentax good enough to be printed in magazines?
*Will an 18-55mm F5.6 kit lens with a KR take as good a photo as an 18-55mm F5.6 kit lens with a canon?

I realise that the glass is what produces the clearest photos, but i have a good idea about what glass does what. This question is all about the quality of the photo straight off the sensor.