User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D300 for Sports Shooting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like to do that you might be able to program the front function key to alter iso, not that I've tried.

What's important is not so much the speed of the card but the write speed of the camera which I think for the d300 30mbps
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay . . so let me summarise the very good info so far:-
    • Be careful offering free shots to publications as there is a potential to harm Pro Togs income source. Was still a buzz to get a shot published!

• 70 - 200mm lens is okay but 70 or 80 - 300mm probably better for what I am doing.

• Consider the D300S and D700.

• Fast CF Card is a good thing . . which reminds me I did notice I need a faster class SD for my Pana.

Can't thank you guys enough. Hope you don't mind if I come back with more questions down the track.
    Would really love to catch up with any of you in person sometime to pick your brains.
    I'm a Brisbane-ite.
    Thanks again
    Fred
    D600, D300, D5100, F100
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4; Sigma 24-70 f/2.8; Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8; Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR.
    3 X Nikon SB-700 Speedlights; Battery Grip; Manfrotto 679B Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred, I'll be putting together another sport tutorial workshop at some stage in august, so, you'd be welcome to join in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fred
    I wouldn't get the D700 on its own..for your requirements the D300s is the way to go as you get the crop factor of the smaller sensor to get the reach your after....just think about a D700 later on to compliment the D300s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    If you like to do that you might be able to program the front function key to alter iso, not that I've tried.

What's important is not so much the speed of the card but the write speed of the camera which I think for the d300 30mbps
    unfortunately ..you cant use the FN button for ISO..Bugger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont deny it's a thrill to get a photo published....been there too. But then what ? Start asking for money when you've been providing for free they just go to the next free guy, that's all.
    Cairns Post very rarely pay anyone except there own togs.
    They have a couple of togs they use on a stand by on a ad hoc basis. Have had a few "discussions"
    with them before when they wanted to use some of my work.
    There is a guy in Mareeba who shoots the Bulls(soccer) every week and gives shots to them FOC,there argument is why should we pay if we can get it for free.!!
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've previously just worked for free and given away images to the press just to get credit, contacts, credentials...its nice to start with.....then you realize you're actuall working, it's a chore sometimes, the papers making money off you and some poor sap who might actually rely on this sort of work to feed their kids is probably doing it tougher because of "reader contributed work"

To some extent the horse has bolted, but just be aware of it is all I ask.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred, I'll be putting together another sport tutorial workshop at some stage in august, so, you'd be welcome to join in.
    Definitely up for that Darren regardless of what camera I have.

Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a ongoing job with a sports mag that I lost (paid) there reasoning was we have someone locally now that will do it for free,I actually got it back in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fredo
    you wont be disappointed with the d300 nor the choice of 70-200 2.8 for field sports........I shoot hockey and football (soccer) for various NSW organisations and the combo is perfect.....I know a lot of sport togs prefer longer reach and these get great results but it depends what action shots you require...if you prefer mid pitch shots in a limited 'zone' then a long prime is perfect,(and very expensive) I prefer the zoom flexibility for capturing penalty area/edge of the box type shots........its also a great combo when your positioned on the sidelines wanting photos of the action down the wings.............if you cover night games though just beware of the high iso limitations as Darren pointed out good to 2000 ish...........thks,Nigel

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phototyke View Post
    fredo
    I shoot hockey and football (soccer) for various NSW organisations and the combo is perfect.....
    Good Stuff Nigel - Thank you.
    You are the only other Hockey TOG I know!
    I seem to get better shots when I am positioned around the 25m line so really I am covering only 45 or 50M at most.
    Initially zoom will be what I want. (70-200 or 80-300mm, something like that.)
    Do you have a gallery I can look at?
    I shot a Women's Australain Championship Final a couple of week ago. NSW vs Vic (maybe U/18s?).
    NSW girls came a close second unfortunately.
    Pics here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12