Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shutter remotes

Hi everyone,
    Im thinking I would like to buy a shutter remote for my 60D.
    What do you think about the wireless ones? Is it worth it or is there a high chance of it stuffing up?
    or would you prefer the ones with the cord and why?

Cheers
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the cheap ($10ish including postage) ebay ones on both 450D and 7D, with out a problem, just bought one of the timer ones ( still waiting on delivery) so I can can do even longer exposures.

edit *Just adding these are the infra red remote ones, and you need to be able to point them at the front of the camera for them to work.
    Last edited by davearnold; 03-05-2011 at 11:37am.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought an el cheapo, corded, off ebay Danielle. Works fantastic. Unless you really want to spend big, get one. They do the same as the genuine for a fraction of the price.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both a corded and wireless.
    The wireless is the el cheapo one. To br honest sometimes its a bit hit and miss....but so long as I can see the camera I can tell when it has worked or not! Handy for doing self portraits. The corded one is best for bulb exposures and landscapes/macro where you need to be behind the camera
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wireless remotes don't work well when you have more than one person with the same brand of camera both trying use a wireless remote but they have virtues at other times.

The corded ones are cheap as chips (the clone ones off eBay) and generally work fine.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Wireless remotes don't work well when you have more than one person with the same brand of camera both trying use a wireless remote but they have virtues at other times.
    They don't work too well when you drop the receiver into the ocean, do they, Pete? :-P

As far as frequency clashes, it's a problem we PocketWizard users can sometimes encounter in group shoots. PWs have four channels, so it's easy enough to avoid sharing the same frequency.

For a wireless shutter release, unless you're going to shoot in pairs or groups, and your shooting companions are also using wireless shutter releases, a spectrum clash isn't likely to be a problem with even the slightest chance of interfering with your session.

All lines lead to Home ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    They don't work too well when you drop the receiver into the ocean, do they, Pete? :-P
    OMG .. we still can't "drop" this issue ...

I'm currently using a el-cheapo $15 remote, it does the trick.
    Regards,
    Phil

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    As you know, that's why I use corded ones now. Easier to retrieve as they have a built in recovery string.

Mind you, it is less painful that donating a Canon 5D to Neptune.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arnica View Post
    OMG .. we still can't "drop" this issue ...
    Peter has shown his willingness and ability to drop it...

Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    Mind you, it is less painful that donating a Canon 5D to Neptune.
    I'm well qualified to affirm that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got corded one with extension cord, it gives me in total around 2m plus long cord and works well.
    Thought about buying remote one, but decided to keep money in the pocket and use cheap=good one I got already.
    Cheers
    Maciek

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danielle if you are thinking wireless these might be of interest. They are remote flash triggers but do double-duty as a remote shutter release. I can't comment on quality as I haven't used them. (The company PROtog is a site advertiser here on AP).

Cheers.

Edit: If you intend using the remote for long exposures ('bulb' mode) check the remote is capable of leaving the shutter open.
    Last edited by fillum; 03-05-2011 at 2:45pm.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend a yongnu yn-128 (may be a new version ?) wireless trigger, had it 2years and works well. Four switches to change channels. works on 30d, 1dmk3.cr2 battery hasn't been replaced yet, got it off ebay ex hong kong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id buy a corded remote...as your bound to get the wireless one stuff up when the important shot comes along.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, long time: no see.

I have both, i rarely use the wireless. As Peter said, a bit hit and miss. My Youngnuo corded is great 100% reliable.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Infra-red remotes have limited range and you have to be directly in-line with the sensor on the camera. I bought a Photix (radio) remote so I could be included in family photos (without setting the timer and sprinting). Also lets you take multiple shots so you can choose one where most of the people are smiling. The build quality seems quite good and the batteries last a long time. Can also use it as a corded trigger to reduce camera shake on long exposures, and you can get multiple cords for multiple cameras (I have a 450D and a 7D, and their remote triggers have different sockets).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you do buy a remote, make sure the remote will focus the camera, as many of them only operate the shutter and don't half-press the shutter for the auto focus to work.

I found this out the hard way!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this, god u 2 are funny

Ready to Print
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just gone out and bought the cable release as my wireless remote won't take photos in continuous mode for a star trails pic.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is something I pondered about a little while ago, I decided on a wired remote and I went for the one that allows for time delay/multiple timed exposures, useful for time lapse imaging so you don't need to keep timing and pressing the button( useful for star trails etc). works a treat! the only issue I have with it is that it has no on/off switch so you need to remove the batteries when not in use. It does however work as a simple shutter release with out the batteries. so not a major issue.
    This is the one I purchased thru site advertiser Phottix simply to support them for supporting AP http://www.phottixstore.com/store/wi...ixr-tr-90.html You could probably get similar cheaper on E Bay
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    photography is a solitary pasttime for me and so cross zapping with other cameras is not a problem when using my wireless. the only time i have ever had a problem is when the batteries went flat. mine is a cheap ebay one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast