Thread: Reuters Photographers' kit for the Royal Wedding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reuters Photographers' kit for the Royal Wedding

There's a great image of the Reuters team's (2 photographers) kit for covering the Royal Wedding, here:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/04/th...ot-royal-love/

Lots of hot gear - and it's always interested to see what the pros choose to use [CANON! :troll:].
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha - yeah saw this and noticed the Canon gear. I must say that if I could get this swag of lenses I'd be happy to swap over

BC
    Olympus OM-D EM-1, 12-40mm f2.8, 45mm f1.8, Panny 25mm f1.7

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for the togs paranoid about a little dust on their darling sensors
    Not a mount cover in sight
    Col

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinbm View Post
    Col
    Good spot and good point! I didnt take notice of this the first time I looked.
    Canon 5D Mk II - gripped, Samyang 14mm f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm Macro f2.8L, 70-200mm IS II f2.8L, Gitzo CF tripod and Gitzo CF monopod, Acratech GP Ballhead, Manfrotto Video Fluid Head, Intervalometer, and lots of other stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    honestly this is just another photojournalist's kit for any important world event - as a wedding photographer I wouldnt be using most of this, and as a journalist also - I'd carry all of this for the sake of trying to capture the right moments etc. No room for creativity, just solely for the purpose of getting the right images for the news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Col

Thats because these guys get top of the range support from Canon. Who would have many service technicians to clean and service available on top events (a free service I should add).

And dust on the sensor isnt something these guys are going to be too concerned about - a) they wont be the poor schmucks cleaning the image and b) they're very unlikely to be using the lenses at an aperture where the dust become an intrusion.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Col
    yeh well, they don't own that gear, and it's all insured, and they have backups of backups.
    I don't.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Col
    It's very unlikely judging from this photo that the sensors will collect any more dust than normal.
    In this case, the body caps won't provide the sensor with any added protection than they already have.
    The shutter is what provides the sensor with 'dust protection', the body cap only serves to stop added build up of dust and other foreign particles into the mirror box.
    As long as the mirror box is blown out on a regular basis, there is absolutely no harm to the sensor in storing your camera in this manner. Mirror and viewfinder will build up with gunk over time tho.

Think about it for a second. If the sensor is behind the shutter, and the shutter is tight enough not to allow light through, the much larger particles of dust have no chance of passing through the shutter.
    A simple matter of blowing out the mirror box with a good clean air supply is all that's needed here.

But as Longshots said .. I doubt they'd be the types to worry about sensor dust in the first place.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just as a rough estimate how much would be laying down there in dollar value
    cheers macca

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take it - with a truck to cart it round in, of course, and slave to carry it on landscape treks

Are these two guys built like brick you know what houses?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to mention that the winning photo from the royal couples honeymoon is worth a cool $1 million dollars. or so it is rumoured
    that would buy plenty of new gear.
    Last edited by zollo; 04-05-2011 at 7:24pm.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta for the acknowledgement there Arthur - but without blowing this subject out of proportion - because the lenses that the open bodies are all sitting there without body caps on, have been removed for the purpose of the shot - and thats it. No one in their right mind - especially a pro, would store their cameras like that. Its just for the demonstration purposes of the shot. It would be normal for each body to also have a lens attached.

I cant agree with your theory Arthur because you simply dont want dust in the area that houses the mirror, because the mirror will at some point have to open for a fraction of a second, and longer, and you will also have (especially if you use a zoom) the motion of the zoom to suck and blow (albeit gently) into the entire area of between the glass/plastic and the mirror box, and eventually, with the action of the mirror opening it will, without doubt end up on your sensor.

So anyone who regularly shoots in the F22 area (as I do), then one gets very precious about it because is simply makes common sense to ensure that less dust means less maintenance, and less post production "cleaning"
    Last edited by Longshots; 05-05-2011 at 7:56pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a nikon lonely old mono pod me thinks.