User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: holga bw 400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holga bw 400

Bought some holga bw 400 film. Luckly only 2 rolls, i noticed on the negatives small black streaks. Have no idea what this is, never seen it on any other film, and it was vidible on the majority of exposures.
    Anyone know what is going on? I will definately avoid this film in the future! Had some 21 year expired agfa film which did much better than this

1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure about the streaks but I do know that Holga is a 'toy' camera that isn't exactly precise with its image taking. It is designed to be unpredictable and fun - not serious at all (I have one that I play with) but it can produce some amazing images. Is this film meant to be only used for this camera?? I don't know. Maybe
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be wondering if they're abrasion marks on the film. Does the Holga have film rollers?
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously motion blur in #s 2 and 4, just as the swarm of gnats went past.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you process these yourself? could it be some scratches or lint from a squeegee or sponge?
    Canon 7D, 550D, 1N HS, EOS 88, 17-55 2.8, 18-200mm, 10-22mm, 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 28-105
    Canon AE-1, 50mm, Nikon FM2(n), 50mm, 24-70mm, Tamron 300mm
    Mamiya RB 67 Pro-S 90mm C, 180mm C
    Mamiya M645 1000s, 35mm C, 80mm C, 150mm C, 210 mm C
    430EX II, Benro Tripod and Monopod
    and a bunch of toy cameras!
    -Tim

Photographer Extraordinaire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just wondering if the light-trap felt where the film comes out of the canister could have dust trapped in the felt. As the film is advanced in the camera, some grit could be marking the emulsion causing the marks. One way to check is to use the camera in portrait mode. If the marks go vertical instead of horizontal, then that is you problem. Scratches in the emulsion of the negative show up as black marks in the positive image.

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera - Anonymous

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanW View Post
    I'd be wondering if they're abrasion marks on the film. Does the Holga have film rollers?
    I was using this film in pentax 6x7. Some film i shot soon after did not have these streaks, which leads me to think the film is to blame

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Obviously motion blur in #s 2 and 4, just as the swarm of gnats went past.
    damn gnats are out to get me

Quote Originally Posted by mitgonk View Post
    did you process these yourself? could it be some scratches or lint from a squeegee or sponge?

yes this is home done. no squeegee used. Processed 5 rolls and only the holga had problems!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgknight View Post
    I am just wondering if the light-trap felt where the film comes out of the canister could have dust trapped in the felt. As the film is advanced in the camera, some grit could be marking the emulsion causing the marks. One way to check is to use the camera in portrait mode. If the marks go vertical instead of horizontal, then that is you problem. Scratches in the emulsion of the negative show up as black marks in the positive image.
    This holga was 120 film so no felt. The pattern seems quite regular but hasnt shown up on any other films used.

thanks for the ideas. Someone has told me that the holga films had problems when the film was manufactured as well as some other low quality brand. I guess this is a problem that came with the film straight out of box. I definately will not be using this stuff in the future, it is a waste of time just pressing the shutter button

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dunno about the black lines but its nice to see some grainy asa 400 even if it is very grainy.
    i suggest buying a better film such as Ilford or agfa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a spare roll not put throught the camera, develop it and see if the marks are on that one...Could help to eliminate the problem...Regards Don
    DON - Teachable, always learning, always experimenting, just want to know everything I can about photography!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the suggestion. fortunately i only bought two rolls which i processed both at the same time. I will not be purchasing any more in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on a side note, loving the photo of the pelican!