User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: DIY shoulder strap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY shoulder strap

I didn't want a black shoulder strap, so this is prototype no 1.....RED!

Nylon webbing with slider : freebie ( I think they are the straps from a chemical spray backpack.... you could have red or red )
    Swivel hook : $3.00
    Dlink : $3.80
    Spare QRPlate from the cupboard.
    Fabric from the stash
    The eyelet is to hang my little card case from
    I have shortened the hanging bit at the front too!

So hanging my heaviest lens and the little KM the biggest worry was will the dummy fall over while I get a photo!

cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice. If it came in other colours Id buy one. Have you road tested it on a real person? How does it slide on the strap? Smooth?

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure the widget on the bottom of the QR plate is very sturdy - you don't want that coming off the plate!

The rest looks amazing!
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use the original strap, but have the two ends at the same attachment point. I prefer to have the cam on my left flank & use the original left side attachment point, with a keyring through the metal slot first. I then have a clip that will attach to the keyring & the two strap ends attached to the clip. This allows the cam to hing down, with the LCD screen against my thigh with the lens pointing away from me. Alternately the mount can be at my thigh with the lens pointing backwards.
    Cheers
    Col

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what other colours do you have? how about cow print?

nice work!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks great
    the only thing i would change is to put a stop at the back where the camera hangs
    that will stop the strap from slipping of your shoulder and you will be forever pulling it back up
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, someone else with sewing skills! Very very nice! I was lazy in not making mine (actually, didn't think of that!! LOL) but I am thinking of making a lens holder to pop over my shoulders instead of carting around a bag.

Great colour too!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats a widget? Do you mean the dring that goes through screw that goes through the QRP? if so I checked that and its sprung steel.....it wont move at all. Took a pair of pliers to it and it wont even squeeze together.....the old boy is chasing up a suitable screw with a holey thing on it tho.....
    Road tested on me......yes the camera slides smoothly up the strap , the webbing is very soft and smooth. I am gonna make a couple more and tweak the construction a little. Have ordered from Adelaide some stops, more slides and some different coloured webbings. I do want a stop behind the camera , more to stop it swing too far to the back and one to lock down the strap on the front. Because its cotton it doesn't slide off the shoulder at all and is very lightweight. I think I will add to the backing with more cotton wadding just to make it a little firmer. But on the whole I am quite happy with it! At least it isn't black and industrial looking!
    I love to sew Mrs Monny! I can see a lens holder somewhat like a stubby holder on a shoulder holster!
    As for cow print? Not a problem.......will it match what you are wearing?
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome Jan! My better half has recently taken up sewing and has already made her niece a dress and her mum a wheat bag and cover! She was also going to make me a camera strap just like the one you have, lol...great minds eh?! Although, I like to be a little less conspicuous (read 'more boring') so it probably won't be red
    Andy

Nikon D7000, 70-200mm (newly obtained...no pictures up shot with it yet)
    Olympus E-420, 14-42mm, 18-180mm, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 (shutter has died on this one )