User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: MAY MADNESS has begun! Prizes from ProTog, CheapCanvasPrints and CheapChips!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MAY MADNESS has begun! Prizes from ProTog, CheapCanvasPrints and CheapChips!

As previously announced, MAY MADNESS will run for the entire month of May

We have two THREE prizes up for grabs:

1. Best Critique of a member's photo

We will award a prize to the member we think has provided the most comprehensive, thorough and well written critique that is posted to Ausphotography between 1st - 31st May 2011.

The moderators and I will choose a critique that we think exemplifies what critiquing is about, a post that informs, educates and provides fantastic constructive critique of another member's photo.

The member who's critique is chosen will win a $100.00 voucher to Ausphotography Site advertiser:
    Cheap Canvas Prints

and CheapCanvasPrints have enhanced this prize with the addition of a free 16x12 inch canvas print, to add to the $100.00 voucher I am supplying.

2. Best non-critique, photography related thread.

We will award a prize to the member who starts a thread that becomes the best discussion on a photographic related matter between 1st - 31st May 2011

Again, the moderators and I will choose a winner from the eligible threads. We are looking for a superb discussion about a photographic related matter, whether that be a great tutorial on how to post process, or a discussion on Ansel Adams, how to use off-camera flash, how relevant MP are, or any other topic. As long as it becomes informative, educational and leads to vibrant, robust discussion, we will consider it.

The winner will receive a $100.00 voucher to Ausphotography Site advertiser:
    www.protog.com.au

3. The secret prize

To keep things interesting, we are not revealing how this prize winner will be chosen. Suffice to say, again, it involves your participation on the forums.
    The winner will get a $100.00 voucher to Ausphotography Site advertiser:
    www.cheapchips.com.au

So get your creative juices flowing!

NOTE: Threads started prior to 1st May 2011 at midnight (AEST) will not be considered, even if they continue into May!

The mods and I will be roaming the site for suitable winners, but if you happen across a thread/post that you think warrants our consideration, please feel free to use the report icon to let us know you think we should take a look. Do not report your own posts/threads, we will ignore those.

The mods and I will not discuss with any member if a particular thread/post is being considered. We will reveal the winners in early June, giving us time to discuss all eligible contenders. At this stage we anticipate announcing the winners around the 2nd June.

Have fun, show us what you can do, lets push the discussion and critique to a new level.
    Last edited by ricktas; 05-05-2011 at 7:42pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And just to keep you guessing, there will be a third prize. I will announce what the prize will be shortly, but, I will not be telling you what or how it will be chosen. Members will only find out what criteria we used to decide this winner at the end of the month when the other winners are announced.
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-05-2011 at 9:00am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So by this ruling none of the 52/2011 threads will be eligible for best CC?
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 | D7000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 1:3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX 1:4.5-5.6 G ED | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...
    My Flickr images ...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    So by this ruling none of the 52/2011 threads will be eligible for best CC?

Don't see why they wouldn't be Waz, if someone posts a scintillating CC on an image from a members 52/2011 ( the image itself doesn't have to be posted in May, just the critique ) and it is seen and deemed worthy of being considered for an award it will be included in the "short list".

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    We will award a prize to the member we think has provided the most comprehensive, thorough and well written critique that is posted to Ausphotography between 1st - 31st May 2011.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK. we will make an exception for the 52/2011, on the proviso that both the photo and the critique were both posted during MAY.

Perth...somewhere in the southern suburbs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for something interesting about how-to-critique to post here for our madness for all interested. I wasn't able to find I could post on our forum (copyright).
    I've found an interesting youtube video HERE
    Good luck everyone to anyone who wants to join!!!
    Treat my comment not as a critique but more like another point of view and please, share yours on my photos

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoTomD View Post
    I was looking for something interesting about how-to-critique to post here for our madness for all interested. I wasn't able to find I could post on our forum (copyright).
    I've found an interesting youtube video HERE
    Good luck everyone to anyone who wants to join!!!
    From the New To Photography Critique Challenge:

Critique - how to guide

Things to consider
    * Subject
    * Composition
    * Emotive response/connection
    * Visual impact
    * Lighting
    * Posing (when applicable)
    * Technical details (exposure, colour balance, contrast)
    * Treatment (mono conversion, sharpening, dust spot removal etc)

Critique the composition/subject choice

Is the main subject in the centre of the frame? Is it on a third? Somewhere else? Does the chosen composition work, or would you have done something differently? Look at the composition or content in the photograph. What is the centre of interest in the picture? Where did the photographer place it in the frame? Did the photographer get close enough to the subject to include only what is important, or are there wasted parts of the picture with elements that do not add to the message of the photo? Would the photo have been improved if the photographer had taken it after changing location (ie moved 2 steps to the left) Is the main subject in focus? Is it sharp focus, or a "soft" focus? Is the focus appropriate for the situation?

Emotional Impact
    How does the photo connect with you on an emotional level? Does it remind you of happy times, sad times, traumatic experiences, a sense of excitement or acheivement? Why does it invoke these emotions? Do experiences from your past influence how you perceive the photo? Maybe the subject is your favourite sporting star, or a tropical island reminiscent of your honeymoon or a much remembered holiday. All these things impact the way you see the photo you are critiquing. Comment on this, cause your emotive connection will be different to the next person's.

Fore, Middle, and Backgrounds.
    Does the photo contain all three? If not, do you think it would be better if it did? Next, observe the areas outside the main subject in the photograph. How did the photographer represent these areas in regards to focus and depth of field? Is the DOF shallow or deep? Does the DOF work in this shot, or should more (or less) of the photo be in focus? How do these areas of the photograph add or distract from the message of the photo? If there is an horizon, is it straight and level?

Cropping/Framing.
    Is there wasted empty space is the photo? Should the crop have been tighter? Is it cropped so tightly that important parts of the photo have been cut off?

Colour / Tonal Range.
    What type of colours do you see? Did the photographer use a lot of primary colours? Secondary? Complementary? Are the colours too vivid? Not vivid enough? Is the light soft or harsh? Does the type of lighting enhance or detract from the things in the photo? Is the white balance set correctly? Is there a yellowish, orangish, blueish or greenish cast to the photo?If you are looking at a B&W photo, is there a true black, true white, with a large tonal range in between, or is the photo too "grey"?

Leading lines.
    Do the lines and overall composition make you want to look deeper into the photo? Is your eye drawn into the photo, or out of it?

Balance.
    Is the photo "balanced"? Would it be better if there were other objects or other light/dark areas in the frame to improve the balance? If the photo is off balance, is there a reason for it?

Exposure.
    Is any area overexposed or underexposed? If so, can you say why you think that happened? How could the photographer prevent this problem in the future?

Finally, offer your own personal feelings on the photograph. What do you like about the selected subject? Is it an emotional shot, a story, a statement, a humorous photo? What would you do differently if you had the chance to take the same photograph?

Examples
    You could just say "Great photo", but why not add that bit more "Great photo, I really like the colours of the sunset, the clouds grab my attention"

'I like this", why not add "I like this cause its not an insect I have seen so close before, I didn't realise they had incandescent wings"

Summary
    Constructive critiquing is a learned skill, start off easily, and just add a sentence to your comment. Do not try and write whole paragraphs to start with. Read others critiques, look at the points they raise and look at the photo. Learn from what you read. Not only will the skill of critiquing well, help the photographers you critique, but it will help your own photography as you take on board what you learn reading others critiques.
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-05-2011 at 6:58am.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    Bump
    hehehe. thanks. Whilst a few posts and threads have come to our attention, we thought there would be a lot more. So get into it, ramp up your critiquing and create some thought provoking photography threads, after all, you might win a damn decent prize at the end of the month

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The mods and I are currently discussing the contenders!