User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  61

View Poll Results: Did You Watch The Royal Wedding ?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm neither. But I did watch it.

35 53.03%
  • I would sooner have watched "Here's Lucy" re runs.

20 30.30%
  • I'm a Royalist. Would not have missed it.

6 9.09%
  • I'm a Republican. Would never have watched it.

5 7.58%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Watched The Royal Wedding Poll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteffone View Post
    Not really. They do more for the underprivileged than a lot of wealthy people.
    OK... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, wait 'til the next referendum

Will Oz decide for a republic or to retain the 'bread and circuses'

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strangely it seems that this thread has become a republic / monarchy discussion.
    For the life of me I never thought it would turn into one, i must be very naive.

Thoughts on the subject :

So many recent arrivals in this fair country seem to head here for the better lifestyle opportunities that this country offers as a member of the British Commonwealth.
    Many many of those seeking the above mentioned life are fleeing republic based systems in their own country.

Will Australians actually decide that they want a republic even before they have seen a hint of a constitution for such a model?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a piece of history apart from anything else, I am not particularly attached to the concept of the monarchy, but at least with these two things seem to changing for the better, no wedding gifts and money to charity, of which some will come to Oz, for example ( and yes I know they don't need anything, but it hasn't stopped ridiculous gifts being given in the past)

As for the value of the monarchy to the poms, it is their "brand" which works well for them, you only had to see the international media and the amount of Americans, Canadians etc in the crowd.

So I sort of watched, mainly due to the fact that Carlton wasn't playing particularly well early on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    It was a piece of history apart from anything else, I am not particularly attached to the concept of the monarchy, but at least with these two things seem to changing for the better, no wedding gifts and money to charity, of which some will come to Oz, for example ( and yes I know they don't need anything, but it hasn't stopped ridiculous gifts being given in the past)

As for the value of the monarchy to the poms, it is their "brand" which works well for them, you only had to see the international media and the amount of Americans, Canadians etc in the crowd.

So I sort of watched, mainly due to the fact that Carlton wasn't playing particularly well early on.
    Americans are even weirder than us; they fought a terrible war against the royals in order to get rid of them: now, they fawn all over them.

Makes you wonder why they even bothered

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a Brighter note, I just heard, ( or maybe I just made it up ), that when Harry finally decides to wed it will be in Las Vegas, dressed as Elvis. On ya Harry.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of a republic, I for one couldn't care less if we become one or remain as we are, but I firmly believe that any new model that is written from the ground up by a bunch of self interested social leaders is not going to be better than somethng that has come together slowly over the last 7-800 years.

If they want to replace the gov gen with a person chosen by the opposition, and no other changes, I will listen, anything beyond that, not likely. Frankly, the current government with all of its advisors and access to data couldn't see th eoutcome of changing the immigration policy, what hope has a committee got of coming up with a totally new constitution that will be far sighted and better than what we have today? Not much I would respectfully suggest.

Oh yeah, didn't watch the wedding, although the bride looked happy on the front page of the melb rag, good luck to them, long may they be happy.

Oh yeah, if we all gave up photography we could probably feed a few third worlds waifs too, but I'm about as likely to do that as the poms are of giving up the royals

my .02 percent of the american peso's worth
    Cheers

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally View Post
    On the topic of a republic, I for one couldn't care less if we become one or remain as we are, but I firmly believe that any new model that is written from the ground up by a bunch of self interested social leaders is not going to be better than somethng that has come together slowly over the last 7-800 years.

If they want to replace the gov gen with a person chosen by the opposition, and no other changes, I will listen, anything beyond that, not likely. Frankly, the current government with all of its advisors and access to data couldn't see th eoutcome of changing the immigration policy, what hope has a committee got of coming up with a totally new constitution that will be far sighted and better than what we have today? Not much I would respectfully suggest.

Oh yeah, didn't watch the wedding, although the bride looked happy on the front page of the melb rag, good luck to them, long may they be happy.

Oh yeah, if we all gave up photography we could probably feed a few third worlds waifs too, but I'm about as likely to do that as the poms are of giving up the royals

my .02 percent of the american peso's worth
    Cheers
    Well put and I couldn't agree more.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I preferred to sit in the rain watching my team get beaten . (Yes Ms Monny, real footy).
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cost of the wedding was reportedly £20 million. The Australian newspaper Herald Sun estimated AU$32 million for security and AU$800,000 for flowers. Offsetting this, the wedding was estimated to have generated a £2 billion boost for UK tourism
    Edit: The CROWS Won!
    Last edited by Kym; 30-04-2011 at 11:45pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the wedding...and I loved it..I never used to be a royalist..but as I get older I find certain things become important to me..such as tradition and heritage...two things id hate to see diminished by ending the monarchy..

when I was a kid growing up on a council estate in the UK..we all hated the royals....and for some of the reasons that have been bought forward in this thread....and most of it was jealously...as they had more than we did...so why was that?.......i can guarantee one thing ...if the UK didn't have the royals..the man in the street wouldn't be any better off for it..there would be no more money in his pay packet at the end of the week..or any more schools or hospitals built...

take a look at France and Spain..are they any better off for not having their Monarchs

the UK has many faults...but we have something the rest of the world doesn't...our deep heritage, or traditions and our royals..and im very happy to keep it that way

it would have been great to for Diana to have seen her boy marry...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Edit: The CROWS Won!
    it was a good game too..the saints look very sloppy all night....the crows played some good footy and deserved that win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "take a look at France and Spain..are they any better off for not having their Monarchs "
    Spain still has a ( constitutional ) monarchy -King Juan Carlos 1 and Queen Sofia.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionica View Post
    "take a look at France and Spain..are they any better off for not having their Monarchs "
    Spain still has a ( constitutional ) monarchy -King Juan Carlos 1 and Queen Sofia.

true..but the monarchy was only bought back in the 1978 Spanish constitution after Franco died in 1975....and it doesnt have the impact that the Queen and the british royals have on a global scale....I bet you had to google who was the King of Spain ??
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 01-05-2011 at 10:29am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no perfect system, changing one for another, just opens up a new set of problems. Unless it can be shown that being a republic will make Australia a better place for all its citizens, why change? Just changing cause 'we can' is not good enough! I perceive that if we were a republic, I would not be paying less tax, getting a better education, paying less for my power, gas, etc, or at least only seeing rises that are matched to CPI, not 25% increases. Until someone can show me a good solid argument that means a republic will benefit Australia, then I am happy for the status-quo.
    Last edited by ricktas; 01-05-2011 at 10:38am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly Rick and well put..

also what would our alternatives be?...paul keating or Bob hawk as a president ..crikey Id pack up and head back to blighty if that ever happens .

lets face it we cant even pick a good PM..what chances do we have to pick a Pres...also how much would that little vote and office cost the Aussie taxpayers..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ".I bet you had to google who was the King of Spain ??"
    No, I didn't. Spain is one of my favourite countries, for travel, history, music, and I knew that fact. And if I had to look it up, so what - is that a problem? A personal attack on you? It seems you don't like my contribution, and are attacking me. Did England always have a "love affair " with it's monarchs ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry but you have misunderstood me...it was not a personal attack on you...my reference to the " I bet you had to google that" was that most people would...sorry if I came across in way that was either patronizing or questioning your Knowledge ., but its clear to me that most people wouldn't have a clue who the king of spain was...I had to google it ..LMAO

BTW
    Ive been to spain a few times. and have a brother and Aunt living there....not sure I like the place though

"Did England always have a "love affair " with it's monarchs "...the quick answer to that is NO....and the long answer would still be NO.....and id expect a poll taken today in any high street in the UK to still say NO......but for me..its YES
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 01-05-2011 at 10:58am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    sorry but you have misunderstood me...it was not a personal attack on you...my reference to the " I bet you had to google that" was that most people would...sorry if I came across in way that was either patronizing or questioning your Knowledge ., but its clear to me that most people wouldn't have a clue who the king of spain was...I had to google it ..LMAO

BTW
    Ive been to spain a few times. and have a brother and Aunt living there....not sure I like the place though
    Sorry if I misunderstood - another instance of misinterpretation causing problems. Everyone sees things differently/looks for different things. I liked Spain a lot, and have visited a few times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    There is no perfect system, changing one for another, just opens up a new set of problems. Unless it can be shown that being a republic will make Australia a better place for all its citizens, why change? Just changing cause 'we can' is not good enough! I perceive that if we were a republic, I would not be paying less tax, getting a better education, paying less for my power, gas, etc, or at least only seeing rises that are matched to CPI, not 25% increases. Until someone can show me a good solid argument that means a republic will benefit Australia, then I am happy for the status-quo.
    Nicely put.
    I do believe the royals do bring a lot to tourism to the uk, how many tourists line the pavement for Changing of the guard etc
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well back to the original topic - Yep I watched it - loved it - laughed at times - Glad he kissed her twice - laughed again -then REALLY had a good laugh at the cart wheeling verger!

History in the making -and just for once something actually happy and not depressing on the news.

Monarchy vs Republican - simply not interested on such a happy occasion.

Just as an aside as someone else mentioned - If we all sold our photography gear an awful lot of people could also be fed/helped --- So , 'People in glass houses (or palaces)...

I thoroughly enjoyed it.....

Cheers
    Lal
    The Impressionists hoped to........" Capture the transient effect of light and colour"........ I wish I could!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast