User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  61

View Poll Results: Did You Watch The Royal Wedding ?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm neither. But I did watch it.

35 53.03%
  • I would sooner have watched "Here's Lucy" re runs.

20 30.30%
  • I'm a Royalist. Would not have missed it.

6 9.09%
  • I'm a Republican. Would never have watched it.

5 7.58%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Watched The Royal Wedding Poll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who Watched The Royal Wedding Poll.

OK, be honest now. Did you watch the Royal Wedding ?
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure how to answer here, I ended up watching maybe 30 minutes of it, in about 5 min lots. I was on AP, channel surfing(there was crap on most channels), and ended up watching "Mrs Browns Boy's" on DVD.. Funniest tv series to come out of Ireland..ever!
    Last edited by ricktas; 30-04-2011 at 9:28am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had more interesting things to do : such as rip out my own toe nails or contemplate how the cost of this wedding (for over-privileged twats) could feed several third world countries for several years.

It is disgusting when you think about it.

Scott
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing we watched was the highlights on the news this morning. Just thought it was boring and preferred to be post processing photos from a family shoot at Easter.

Wayne
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fully agree with Scotty.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw bits and pieces, live. Some of the outfits that people wore gave you a good laugh. I think it was better TV than an "Oscars" telecast. Maybe I should have also polled, " Would you have gone to photograph the wedding " ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until the football started.
    John.

Canon EOS 50D
    Panasonic Lumix TZ10

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    I had more interesting things to do : such as rip out my own toe nails or contemplate how the cost of this wedding (for over-privileged twats) could feed several third world countries for several years.

Scott
    But how much money do the royal family raise for charity? I bet you or I couldn't organise a $2000.00 a head dinner for charity, where we were the guest of honour, but bring a member of the royal family into the mix and you sure can. Whilst I agree about the over-privileged,. I reckon the amount of money they have helped raise for charities over the years would be staggering. There are other over-privileged people out there who don't do anywhere near as much charitable work.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost interest in the whole thing when they didn't reply to my email in which I offered to photograph the entire event ----- unlimited images burned to disc for $250.00 AUD ----- considering the state of the pommie economy and all that I thought it was a pretty good offer.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    But how much money do the royal family raise for charity? I bet you or I couldn't organise a $2000.00 a head dinner for charity, where we were the guest of honour, but bring a member of the royal family into the mix and you sure can. Whilst I agree about the over-privileged,. I reckon the amount of money they have helped raise for charities over the years would be staggering. There are other over-privileged people out there who don't do anywhere near as much charitable work.
    I heard a Bristish republican on the radio the other day giving a good counter to that argument.

Now, i don't recall exact figures but, he claimed that the cost of the royal family (civil list, maintaining property, security, etc. etc.) far out-weighs any charitable benefit. The argument is that it is stupid to spent $10 (on the royals) to have those royals raise $5 for charity... better to give the $5 (or $10) to charity. Hard to argue. Scrap the royals and charity could be far better served.

The other self-serving arguments the royals give is tourism. However, of the top 20 British tourist attractions, only the 17th (Windsor Castle) even makes the list.

Yes, their are many other super-priviledged out their - if they have earned their money then it is hard to begrudge them - but if they were simply born into a castle maintained by tax-payers... that is disgusting that they expect others to maintain their lifestyle.

Scotty

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick makes a good point. Star power is a big thing. Just look at how much money governments are willing to pay the likes of Tiger Woods just to appear in a golf tournament. All royal appearances are done for free. I for one do not envy their lifestyle. Under the public microscope 24 hours a day. Even Liz is a tireless worker, now at 81 years of age. Like they say. "It is a job that thay did not choose, and it is for life".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Seen a few shorts of Mrs Brown, great show, where did you get your DVD from?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I heard a Bristish republican on the radio the other day giving a good counter to that argument.
    And there-in lies the issue. Stats and information is so often manipulated to achieve a pre-conceived ideal. I am sure there are plenty of other surveys that put Buckinghuge palace in first place as tourist destination. Sadly a republican is going to state figures that fit his agenda. I agree that the Monarchy is probably out-dated and needs to go, but the reasons are beyond that which is quoted by most republicans. Any one sided view adds zilch to informed debate, it just feeds those that believe it.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw some of it. I also agree with Rick and PH005, I think the Royal Family contribute much to the British economy in the way of tourism and in less evident ways that cannot really be measured. Removing them and believing this will somehow cure third world debt or asist any country out of their third world status is fanciful at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at my Grandmothers place, so we had to endure watching it....well, I was into it but my hubby was a bit peeved he couldn't watch the footy (real footy that is - AFL! ).

I am not a monarchist BUT I feel that they serve a purpose for Australia and without them, geez, could you imagine us trying to work out who would be President??? OMG, I would hate to think....we can't seem to even get PM right half the time! Anyway, not really a political person myself, so I will stop talking now before it gets over my head!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I "watched" while browsing the net & "listening" to my partner chattering on about how rediculous it all is ...

CC always welcome

Cheers

Kathrine

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I dont sound too one sided, but, put yourslf in their ( the royals ) place. Would you want to see your family heritage suddenly ended ? I can just see William sitting his first born down and telling him/her, " well daddy was going to be a King and you were going to be a prince /ss, but I just drive a lorry now and mummy takes in some washing to make ends meet ". The English Monarchy has stood the test of time throughout the ages and I personally hope they are there right to the end. Whatever that may be .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh. Poor William will cope.

No one said that ending the dynasty will end third world debt/hunger. I just think that such extravagance should be paid for by those enjoying the extravagance.

As for Australia, how can we still pretend to be an egalitarian democracy when we support a hideous class system in which your choice of parents give a public title etc.

Scotty

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh. Poor William will cope.

No one said that ending the dynasty will end third world debt/hunger. I just think that such extravagance should be paid for by those enjoying the extravagance.
    The wedding was paid for by the Royal Family. Police prescence and security etc was paid for by the government. However, you'll probably find that they made more out of the wedding that it cost the tax payer with the added influx of tourists, selling of the television rights etc.

As for Australia, how can we still pretend to be an egalitarian democracy when we support a hideous class system in which your choice of parents give a public title etc.

Scotty
    Egalitarian? Who said we all wanted to be egalitarian? I don't think that philosophy works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scott
    Not really. They do more for the underprivileged than a lot of wealthy people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast