User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  61

View Poll Results: Did You Watch The Royal Wedding ?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm neither. But I did watch it.

35 53.03%
  • I would sooner have watched "Here's Lucy" re runs.

20 30.30%
  • I'm a Royalist. Would not have missed it.

6 9.09%
  • I'm a Republican. Would never have watched it.

5 7.58%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Watched The Royal Wedding Poll.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately the poll didn't allow for republicans who like the monarchy - which is where I stand. There are all manner of things which fall under the general umbrella of "we could have built a hospital with that money" argument. The reality is - that just doesn't happen. The money always ends up somewhere else. The same is said about the space program, the Grand Prix etc etc. Personally, I like the fact that the monarchy is a piece of living history which dates back through time in a very real story of the British Empire and our own origins. I have walked through Westminister Abbey and stood at the tombs of the monarchs and historical figures buried there, and it is an amazing experience to see and touch icons of the history we read about as children.

I don't believe we need the Queen as our head - we've moved on, and even though we only have Tony Abbott or Julia Gillard to choose from, we should at least be looking within our own country. Nevertheless, I hope the Monarchy continues on and on and we can continue to have that link with the past and the continuation of a story which has its roots in centuries past. Anyone who has visited the UK and places like Windsor Castle and the Abbey will understand what a buzz it is to see and experience such a fundamental link with our past.

......... mind you, I still think one of my cherished memories of this Royal Wedding is still going to be Pippa Middleton's rear end.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobt, Bobt, Bobt, You were going so well, right up to the last four words. Then you cracked me up.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PH005 View Post
    Bobt, Bobt, Bobt, You were going so well, right up to the last four words. Then you cracked me up.

Suddenly, I think I might watch the damned thing.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    The wedding was paid for by the Royal Family. Police prescence and security etc was paid for by the government. However, you'll probably find that they made more out of the wedding that it cost the tax payer with the added influx of tourists, selling of the television rights etc.

Egalitarian? Who said we all wanted to be egalitarian? I don't think that philosophy works.
    damn straight Lance

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was busy watching: paint dry/grass grow/having my fingernails pulled out...

not for me thanks. I am not against the royal family but to me its like crashing a strangers wedding... not my cup of tea.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched it as it was in my face across from the table at Dinner time and long after dinner I did not even get on to AP until late that night
    So I am Female and I wanted to see what the well heeled draped around their bodies and put on their heads not that I expected Reindeer Antlers though

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the number of overseas tourists that turned up, and the money paid by the networks to televise it, and the sales of food, drink and memorabilia, I think it was very good value for Britain.
    Britain has been going through such heavy problems lately, that they really needed something to bring them out of it, and I think this wedding did that, at least for the short term.

These sorts of things are like the Sydney fireworks at New Years Eve.
    They cost a lot of money and no-one really needs them, but they bring people together and make them happy, and to me, that is one of the most important things.
    Happy people are nice to each other, and we certainly need lots more of this and it helps us to forget our woes.

One thing that lots of people forget is that it is not what the royals DO that counts, but it is what CAN'T be done while they are in power that is important.
    As the Queen is the head of the armed forces, theoretically, there can't be a miltary coup while she's in power, and she also has the power to stop any untoward legislation that might harm the British public (and us!). the Royals are the last stop defence for radicalisation of the British Government.

Personally, I watched it all the way through, and was happy to do so, as my home PC was on the fritz, but I did enjoy it to see the people, their clothes etc., and the cars and carriages as well as the pomp and ceremony.
    Such a sense of history to see the happy couple in the 1902 carriage, and even William driving Charles's old Aston Martin that he got for his 21st birthday.
    By the way, he loves driving it (Charles), and it's been back to the factory for complete re-builds twice now, and currently is running on 85% methanol!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    For the number of overseas tourists that turned up, and the money paid by the networks to televise it, and the sales of food, drink and memorabilia, I think it was very good value for Britain.
    Britain has been going through such heavy problems lately, that they really needed something to bring them out of it, and I think this wedding did that, at least for the short term.

These sorts of things are like the Sydney fireworks at New Years Eve.
    They cost a lot of money and no-one really needs them, but they bring people together and make them happy, and to me, that is one of the most important things.
    Happy people are nice to each other, and we certainly need lots more of this and it helps us to forget our woes.

One thing that lots of people forget is that it is not what the royals DO that counts, but it is what CAN'T be done while they are in power that is important.
    As the Queen is the head of the armed forces, theoretically, there can't be a miltary coup while she's in power, and she also has the power to stop any untoward legislation that might harm the British public (and us!). the Royals are the last stop defence for radicalisation of the British Government.

Personally, I watched it all the way through, and was happy to do so, as my home PC was on the fritz, but I did enjoy it to see the people, their clothes etc., and the cars and carriages as well as the pomp and ceremony.
    Such a sense of history to see the happy couple in the 1902 carriage, and even William driving Charles's old Aston Martin that he got for his 21st birthday.
    By the way, he loves driving it (Charles), and it's been back to the factory for complete re-builds twice now, and currently is running on 85% methanol!
    Well said Bennymiata, couldn't have said it better myself.

For anyone who thinks that was a waste of taxpayers money, do some research about it please.

Even if the government paid for the security and associated costs, the UK news just stated today that the country made something like over 700 million from this wedding event alone, especially from tourism and sales. It was a win win for the UK and the royal family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yip, I agree. I loved watching a million people celebrate rather than shoot or fight each other. A preview I hope of the spirit of the London Olympics next year.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gravy...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    I watched the wedding...and I loved it..I never used to be a royalist..but as I get older I find certain things become important to me..such as tradition and heritage...two things id hate to see diminished by ending the monarchy..

when I was a kid growing up on a council estate in the UK..we all hated the royals....and for some of the reasons that have been bought forward in this thread....and most of it was jealously...as they had more than we did...so why was that?.......i can guarantee one thing ...if the UK didn't have the royals..the man in the street wouldn't be any better off for it..there would be no more money in his pay packet at the end of the week..or any more schools or hospitals built...

take a look at France and Spain..are they any better off for not having their Monarchs

the UK has many faults...but we have something the rest of the world doesn't...our deep heritage, or traditions and our royals..and im very happy to keep it that way

it would have been great to for Diana to have seen her boy marry...
    Yes, Tommo1965, tradition and heritage are important to the people of a nation. I am an Engish Australian.

As I understand it, members of the Commonwealth are legally bound to remain members.

Personally I did watch the Wedding and noticed its strong Christian tradition. They even sung hymns.
    Let us hope and pray that the newlyweds have a long and fruitful marriage.

As we saw, the crowds flocked to the wedding. I believe there is a yearning amongst the public for
    Diana's son William, and maybe too his new wife Catherine, to become what Diana was to them -
    someone who cared openly for others much less fortunate than herself; someone with integrity
    who openly showed love to others.
    Last edited by Phil777; 08-05-2011 at 6:02am.
    Phil.
    Equipment: Panasonic Lumix G9, GX9, Panasonic Leica 100-400 f/4.0-6.3, Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6, Panasonic 7-14mm f4, Weifeng WF-717A tripod, Manfrotto 560B-1 Monopod, Huawei P30 Pro.
    Software: Corel PaintShop Pro 2020 + Corel Painter Essentials 4
    - Beauty and Design in Nature - do you see it?

flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely said Phil777.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)