User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Is the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 the lens I need?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 the lens I need?

I am really new to DSLR photography, I have recently bought a Canon 60D with the 18-55mm kit lens plus a 50mm 1.8 prime lens. I really only take pictures of my kids, they are 11 & 13 yo so are indoors alot of the time.

I am considering what my next lens purchase should be and thought about the Sigma 10-20mm as this fits my budget (around $600).

I'm would really appreciate any feedback or advice anyone has as to best options for lenses for indoors within this budget.

Thanks

Nicole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicole. I really dont think that the UWA ( ultra wide angle ) is what you are after. Your 50mm 1.8 should be able to do most of your work indoors. I'm gueesing that you want to do some portrait type shots of the kids. My advise for the $600 would be a 430 EXII flash and a good quality tripod. Get an ext cable for the flash so that you can experiment with different angles of light. A good flash will certainly help and you can then easily shoot indoors with your 18-55. With a tripod, YOU can also be in the shot with your kids. Hope this is of some help.
    Cheers, Paul.
    Canon 50D w BG l Nifty Fifty l Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 l Sigma 24-70 f2.8 l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF 300 f4L IS USM l EF 1.4X ll TC l 430EXII l Vanguard Alto Pro 263 w BH100 l Manfrotto 680B w 234RC l Lowepro Bags.l Sigma EM-140 Ring Flash.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Nic,
    Firstly let me say I haven't used that lens but, its primarily used by landscapers for its wide angle of view. As such many get the 4/5.6 version as its cheaper and they don't require the faster f stop or narrower DOF for landscapes. Also be aware that it will show significant distortion when used near wide open, so for photographing children its probably not the best option. Many on this forum use the Sigma 10-20, I'm sure some will be along soon with first hand advice and other options.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10-20 is great for landscape work. I've used mine for a large group shot at 20mm (but you have that covered already).

I'd probably want longer focal lengths than shorter, eg a 70-300 or something along those lines.
    Last edited by Kym; 29-04-2011 at 11:39am.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PH005 View Post
    My advise for the $600 would be a 430 EXII flash and a good quality tripod. Get an ext cable for the flash so that you can experiment with different angles of light. A good flash will certainly help and you can then easily shoot indoors with your 18-55. With a tripod, YOU can also be in the shot with your kids. Hope this is of some help.
    You shouldn't really need an extension cable for off camera flash with the 60D, like the 7D and now the 600D it supports remote flash from the in-built flash.

This video explains it all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gefc3jgBXk
    Last edited by unistudent1962; 29-04-2011 at 11:50am.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there you go. Another good reason to invest in a flash. Thanks Mark.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto what others have said. The Sigma 10-20 is a great landscape lens and I use mine exclusively for this purpose. Lens distortion would be a big issue indoors with near objects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicole

here are a few test shots using that lens from www.the-digital-picture.com that I think show the pros and cons of using a wide angle indoors:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/P...=A-Lot-of-Legs

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/P...s-Morning-Hats

As you'ld expect you can cram in the whole family and get nice shots in tight spaces which is good, but theres a fair amount of peripheral distortion which maybe isn't good.

Good luck with your decision.
    best regards

Chris.

flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickiNoo02 View Post
    I am really new to DSLR photography, I have recently bought a Canon 60D with the 18-55mm kit lens plus a 50mm 1.8 prime lens. I really only take pictures of my kids, they are 11 & 13 yo so are indoors alot of the time.

I am considering what my next lens purchase should be and thought about the Sigma 10-20mm as this fits my budget (around $600).

I'm would really appreciate any feedback or advice anyone has as to best options for lenses for indoors within this budget.

Thanks

Nicole
    Nicole, sounds like you have the focal length covered for indoors. Why not spend $300 on a tripod & the other $300 on something for the kids to get them outside more.
    Robbo (Neil)

Canon 7D, Canon 24-105mm f4 L, Canon 18-200mm IS, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1.4 USM, Sigma 10-20mm UWA Canon 400D

How do I change my signature?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the info, I had a man in the camera shop advise me that this was the best lens for indoor/kids photography so Im glad I asked for you advise first.

Mistltoe, thanks for those links, it really shows the distortion at the edges.

Robbo7D, my kids are horrified at the thought of doing things outdoors, its too far away from the Xbox/ TV/ Computer, however I have now started dragging them outside to do things so I can practice taking pictures.

I think that I will stick with the 50mm and invest in a good flash and Tripod. (and then keep saving for the 70-300mm which is my " A girl can dream" lens.)

Again thanks so much for the advise.

Nicole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a tamron 24-70mm? (something like that) f2.8 for my canon for around $350 ditched the kit lens for this and it works fine for me, hardly use the 50mm because of it.

and I definitely dont always believe the man in the camera shop - Harvey Norman give some awesoem information (I know they arent a camera shop) explanation as to what more focus points gives was the best ive heard
    Last edited by A Zed; 03-05-2011 at 2:09pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also in the camp for the flash and tripod.
    Once you get a good flash and learn to use it, you'll find it one of the most used accessories ever.
    The 430 is very good, and the 580 is fantastic (if you can afford it).

A little tip, if shooting indoors with a flash, angle it up and bounce the light off the ceiling.
    This way, the kids won't complain about getting the hard flash right in their eyes and will be happy to pose for more shots!
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I jsut pitch in and also suggest to get yourself a medium sized reflector if you have some change left over from the tripod and flash - it give you even more versatility with using natural light and bouncing the flash off the reflector.
    -Alan

D700 | D80 | 16-35 | 24-70 | 70-200 | 30 | 50 | 85

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickiNoo02 View Post
    I had a man in the camera shop advise me that this was the best lens for indoor/kids photography...
    Ahhhhhh!!!

That's disgusting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achee View Post
    Ahhhhhh!!!

That's disgusting.
    I agree I've used the 10-20 for 4 years now , And I would'nt recommend it for indoor/kids photography , Full stop , Maybe at a pinch at 20mm , Maybe I should try to get a job at a Camera store if thats the information they are giving out , Hope it was'nt a well known store !!
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is sometimes nice to get a little wider indoors but unless you want to head into landscaping, I don't think the 10-20mm f/3.5 is the right lens. If you want a different 'standard' lens, Canon make an EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens that adds a little versatility at both ends but the gains may not be worth the expense.

I think you could probably be better off looking at a longer zoom lens for when the kids are playing sport or running around in the back yard. A good choice would be the Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS zoom. These are fairly cheap as they often come as part of a 2-lens kit with new cameras. Easy to pick up second hand or you should be able to buy a cheap new one from a debundled kit (i.e. where the kit has been broken apart and the lenses sold separately).

A flash is a good idea. If you don't want the expense of the Canon flash, I can recommend the Nissin Di622 Mk II. This costs around $299 in Australia or half that from overseas. The Canon version will work as a remote flash with Canon cameras that support that functionality. It also has an optical slave mode so you can trigger it with your camera's built in flash to provide side ligthing. Ideal for those family portraits.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used 10mm (equivalent of 16mm) for shooting little kids - they're looking almost straight up, the camera is pointing straight down, and I'm trying to keep my toes out of the photo. It's a fun shot that gives the kids a huge head... but you'll be over that look after a few goes, and then you'll need a longer lens!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 10-20 f4-5.6 sigma and it is great for landscapes and buildings but next to useless for people, I can't justify the extra cost for the f3.5 version. My general purpose lens is the 18-250 sigma and I use this for everything except birding, macro and wildlife, the hsm focus is fast enough for 8 fps at motor sport and the IQ is good.
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been considering a 10-20 (or canon 10-22) sorry to chime in on this thread, but for landscapes do people have a preference between the sigma and the canon?
    ~Emz
    30D, 17-85, 50m 1.4, 100mm macro L IS, 580 ex ii.

~all cc welcome~