Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Mine, another grammatical one, is with the singular / plural meaning of something.

For example "so-and-so team have..." - isn't team a singular, consisting of individuals (plural), ie "so-and-so team has..."

Or "Tasmania Police are doing-such-and-such" - we do only have one police force here, don't we? Or is every member of the force a "Tasmania Police" in-itself?

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but all the I's in my head agrees.
    Hey, ScottM. It depends on how the collective noun is perceived as doing the action, ie: is a whole force doing an action en masse, say, or is a whole bunch of individual doing a lot of individual actions. It's not one you can strictly apply the rule of singulars (now there's something) and plurals.

If you really want to get upset about something, take a stick to those who say the likes of "...there's a lot of birds in the sky..."
    Am, or sometimes A(he)m.

Edit. Upon re-reading your missive I suggest you really try saying seriously "Tasmania Police is holding a fete this weekend..."
    You're right! It does grate. Now if it were "...The Tasmania Police Force is...", well, I might go, myself.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 03-05-2011 at 2:55pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.