User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Concert Photography Tips

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concert Photography Tips

I have been asked by the Musical Director of the College that I work at to take some shots of a dress rehearsal for our upcoming musical production of "Fiddler on the Roof".

I did the same thing for our last musical two years ago and while the images were ok and had some printed in the program, I would like to make them even better this time.

I have done very little of this type of photography and was wondering if anybody has some good tips for me? Do I use a flash or will this ruin the coloured stage lighting?

I will probably use my 50mm, f/1.8 and a telephoto lens 70 - 300mm, f/4 - 5.6
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

As Keen As Mustard
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't anybody have any tips for me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've done a fair bit of school auditorium stuff.

Obviously, the faster the glass the easier. But, other than that, use high ISO (obivious) as a bit of noise is better than underexposure.

The flash question? Well, it all depends. Try to set the camera for the ambient light then, use a subtle setting (depending on distance) to highlight the players subtly.

But, if you have to use a flash, an off camera one set to a very low power near the players is better than an on camera one set to stun from far back - even then, any colour weirdness is better than under exposure.

Scotty

Here are a few I took a while back - no flash - but the stage lights were pretty good _MG_9268.jpg_MG_8860.jpg_MG_9120.jpg_MG_8873.jpg
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

As Keen As Mustard
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Scotty - that was very helpful. Last time I had ambient light coming in through a stage door but this time it will be dark when the rehearsal commences. Should be a good challenge.