User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: D90 Lens suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D90 Lens suggestions

Hi all, I have the "kit" lens 18-105 for my D90 but want to get another lens that is up to or over the 200mm range (say up to 300mm). Mainly for outside stuff, landscapes, buildings etc that I want to get closer to than the 105 will allow. Any suggestions on a lens. Faster the better of course. - money not a huge concern.
    Often beaten, never scared.

Photoholic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest model 18-200Nikon is a pretty good performer for the money , by all accounts , 70-300 VR is fairly decent as well , taken some good action photos of late with the latter(Jumping Marlin)
    Does a one legged duck swim in an eliptic circle

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm. I am still having trouble deciding. 18-200 is the one I am considering, but wondering if that is a bit of an overlap with 18-105 and maybe go with the 70-300 or perhaps the 55-200 or ??? Just to fill in from around 50-70 mm to 200-300. Too many choices.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wingnut I think the answer depends on how you like to operate. If you like to travel light (ie with one lens) then the 18-200 makes sense. However if you don't mind carrying a couple of lenses, I think the 70-300 VR makes more sense as it gives more range. I haven't used the 70-300, but the newer VR version gets a pretty good rap (for example). I have the 18-200 - it's slow and has a few issues but for me the convenience of the focal length range compensates. (It's not my main lens btw). The 18-200 is also DX which might be an issue depending on any upgrade plans you might have.

Another (more expensive) option is the 70-200 f/2.8. Doesn't give a huge jump in range but is a fantastic lens.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

dieselpower
    I'm with fillum. If you want one lens - 18-200. If you don't mind carrying an extra then in my opinion you can't go past the 70-300 VR. It is an absolutely amazing lens - and is also FX meaning if you do decide to go full frame at some stage then you don't need to replace the lens.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 18-200mm zoom would pretty much make the 18-105mm redundant. If you didn't have the 18-105, then the 18-200 would make a good general purpose lens.

The 70-300 VR is a good choice and also a good match for the 18-105.

For something a little different, consider the 80-200 f/2.8. This will give you a fast mid to longer zoom with very good image quality and good bokeh. It actually makes a good portrait lens, good for indoor sports and lots of other stuff. It is also good value if purchased via grey import.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the 70-300 vr lens on my d90 and it goes really well, and would happily get it again. It's selling pretty cheaply on the grey market now.
    The vr is very noisy, with a distinct click and hiss when the vr switchs on, then a clunk when it turns off.
    You wouldn't go too far wrong with it. I've got a battery grip for the camera which I only really use if I'm using the 70-300 for extended time as it helps balance the camera a bit.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of getting the 70-300, bonus is that it will be the same size as my filters for the 18-105, thanks for the advise guys,