User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  25

Thread: MAY MADNESS : Prizes up for grabs : Participate on the forums to WIN

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MAY MADNESS : Prizes up for grabs : Participate on the forums to WIN

As I have some Ausphotography funds available, the mods and I have been chatting about what we could offer up in the way of prizes. In the past we have usually given out prizes for our photographic competitions, so we thought a change was worthwhile considering.

MAY MADNESS !!!

I am going to give away two prizes at the end of May 2011. These prizes will be announced over the coming days. But the prizes will not be for a photography competition.

The moderators and I will be choosing the winners!

1. Best Critique of a member's photo

We will award a prize to the member we think has provided the most comprehensive, thorough and well written critique that is posted to Ausphotography between 1st - 31st May 2011.

2. Best non-critique, photography related thread.

We will award a prize to the member who starts a thread that becomes the best discussion on a photographic related matter between 1st - 31st May 2011

More information coming soon...
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-04-2011 at 7:38pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he he one way to get us critiquing Rick, a good initiative I think.
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great idea.
    I may be too scared to post for critique in May though!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

Perth...somewhere in the southern suburbs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By far that is one of the best contest I've heard of !! I hope all of us will join to win. A very good way for AP to get us not only to critique but to also learn how to critique effectively.
    :bow in respect:
    Treat my comment not as a critique but more like another point of view and please, share yours on my photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top Stuff.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea, it may get more people critiquing I am not the best but I do give it a go
    My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. I'm like Mary Anne - not very good at critiquing but always willing to give it a go.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I'm a newbie to photographry, strictly a point and shoot at this stage and very limited experience in PP, I find that I'm not confident enough to critique apart from commenting if I like the shot. I suppose that is enough at this stage, at least the members know I'm looking and appreciate their posts?? Although, I should do that more often. I am on here all the time oohing and aahing at people's posts. NOTE TO SELF: Make the effort to let people know you are viewing!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazz View Post
    Because I'm a newbie to photographry, strictly a point and shoot at this stage and very limited experience in PP, I find that I'm not confident enough to critique apart from commenting if I like the shot. I suppose that is enough at this stage, at least the members know I'm looking and appreciate their posts?? Although, I should do that more often. I am on here all the time oohing and aahing at people's posts. NOTE TO SELF: Make the effort to let people know you are viewing!!

Hey Shazz, critiquing isn't just about technical details. explaining what you do like about a particular shot or what you don't, or what you think might be an improvement is what critiquing is all about. Everyone's opinion is valid because when it comes to the final image, technical details aside, its all subjective. Jump in
    Last edited by dbax; 25-04-2011 at 3:16pm. Reason: speelin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, thats right Shazz, there is 'technical' critique and 'appeal' critique. I only do a 'technical critique' if I actually know what i am talking about but most of the time I give 'appeal' critique and let people know what I liked or didn't like about the image, which helps improve their photography and MINE! This is just as valid as a 'technical' critique!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting angle on competitions
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Sir Rattus79 - The Proclaimant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    Hey Shazz, critiquing isn't just about technical details. explaining what you do like about a particular shot or what you don't, or what you think might be an improvement is what critiquing is all about. Everyone's opinion is valid because when it comes to the final image, technical details aside, its all subjective. Jump in
    It's not just what you like and don't like, it's WHY you like or don't like.
    The old Who, What, Where When How & Why.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick,
    Good idea, I just hope it follows on after May into the rest of the year as well, we all get complacent.
    One idea i have for critique is same as at camera club meeting, where by everyone's submitted photos were rated 1-10 in composition, 1-10 in lighting, 1-10 creativity, etc by all people.
    Maybe we add that to the everyone's reply in the critique threads and give people the option to vote this way. That way the person who displays the photo can read through and get a little insight by the way people have voted.
    And a running mean/average displayed next to the photo.
    Or on the other hand, the vote can only be viewed if you vote. For readers of the thread it is blind until the person reading the thread has voted.
    Sometimes the critique can sound harsh or too positive but the feeling is not quite in the words.
    Anyway, its just a thought which shouldnt be too hard to add perhaps.

I think that would be unique as well.
    Cheers Neil
    Last edited by knumbnutz; 27-04-2011 at 8:21pm.
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbnutz View Post
    Hi Rick,
    Good idea, I just hope it follows on after May into the rest of the year as well, we all get complacent.
    One idea i have for critique is same as at camera club meeting, where by everyone's submitted photos were rated 1-10 in composition, 1-10 in lighting, 1-10 creativity, etc by all people.
    Maybe we add that to the everyone's reply in the critique threads and give people the option to vote this way. That way the person who displays the photo can read through and get a little insight by the way people have voted.
    And a running mean/average displayed next to the photo.
    Or on the other hand, the vote can only be viewed if you vote. For readers of the thread it is blind until the person reading the thread has voted.
    Sometimes the critique can sound harsh or too positive but the feeling is not quite in the words.
    Anyway, its just a thought which shouldnt be too hard to add perhaps.

I think that would be unique as well.
    Cheers Neil
    It would take a lot to add, it would mean adding a poll to every thread.

As for the idea, if it works well, we will run it again, but it will not be every month. Unless members start buying heaps from the advertisers and thus the commission I get in, increases.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can already Rate a thread ... Use that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May Madness. This is exciting.

Wayne shoots while Di chats!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great idea and something different. I (Wayne) enjoy looking at threads and try and critique (usually with Di giving her feedback in my ear) as a way of improving my own photography, but with full time work and other commitments have limited opportunity to do this. Whilst Di doesn't work full time she feels less confident of critiquing, but likes to post more on a social nature and as an "appeal" critique, but less technical. Hopefully this will get me posting more often and improving both my own skills and giving the feedback that so many people want.

Wayne
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great idea to encourage critique. It's often a challenge to critique photography when it is such a subjective art form. it's good to put the challenge out there to encourage solid critique though, rather than personal preference, though I'm pretty impressed so far (I'm still new to the forum) with the level of feedback & assistance given.

Sarah
    Sarah
    www.sarahwhytephotography.com

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EOS 350D | Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an exciting competition...can't wait to see some activities for it!