User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: neck strap? shoulder strap? what do you use?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

neck strap? shoulder strap? what do you use?

So I am shopping for a new gadget to hold the camera. I have the standard neck strap that came with it but........its too narrow and the camera just drags on the neck especially with a heavier lens.
    So I looked on fleabay ........gawd they are ugly.....and I would feel like a dill so I looked on Etsy......not as ugly but very homemade......I can make homemade myself....

but practicality must win over style I suppose.....I am leaning towards a shoulder, across the body type with the ring doover that slides up the strap for ease of use. But the camera hangs upside down? Does this affect how easily I can get it to the eye? I am more than a bit of a klutz....

So what are people using? Is it working for you and what helped sway your decision?

cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Rapid RS-5. I've had mine for about a year and love it. It's a personal preference, but I don't like neck straps and find the should sling style much more comfortable, especially if you're going to carrying you camera for a few hours (car shows etc). Can't recommend it highly enough : http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-5/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BR RS-4 here; no issues and do love using it very much. Recommend you at least go into a store and take one for a test run
    Six|West Studios

Canon 5D Classic | Canon 40D (gripped) | EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L USM | 430EXII | Kata DR-467

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a BlackRapid RS-4 and it really is comfortable to use, even with a heavy camera/lens combo for hours at a time. Yes, the camera hangs upside down, but I like that it's at my side where I can easily keep one hand on it, rather than bouncing in front of me as I walk. And it's quick to swing it up into position too. I'm definitely happy with my purchase, just wish I'd made it sooner.
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good idea, I didn't know they even existed... When you bring to camera up to your face are they very restrictive?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks guys........I can see that hanging the camera at your side is the most popular way to go and I think that will work well for me. Now my girly side is gonna show and I cant believe that I have to pay that much for something that ugly.......and that synthetic. The section that screws into the tripod mount on the camera.......is that just a screw with a ring attached just like a small tripod plate? and then attached to a swivel d ring thingy? I can only buy online....so its hard to tell about the details.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Crumpler-...item4158518e1c
    These are great and hang on your hip, worth a look.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these -

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=904543

Ones of the best pieces of 'kit' that I've purchased.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm the possibilities are very limited to say the least. I am pretty sure its the sling strap way I need to go. I do like the leather handgrip thingy but want to leave my hands free to dig thru the handbag etc or hold a cup of coffee. I cant see why I cant make a custom made jobby. I have a spare QR plate........some cotton webbing ( dog leads? they come in all sorts of colours )......a padded curved shoulder piece ( quite simple to make )......a few pieces of hardware which I may already have.......project no 6743b bugger I will have to wait till the shops open
    Thanks guys ( btw where are all the women? don't the gals use these types of kit? Only Jules? )
    I am off to look at vintage Austin cars today and thats what brought the strap bizzo on.....
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I dont use one yet, I have been thinking of getting a shoulder strap when using some of my heavier lens I must look into it soon..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Lowepro voyager C and it is pretty comfy too. But that black rapid R looks great.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Crumpler one that has a padded neck area. Really comfortable and is long enough for me to use sort or messenger style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought & trialed a cheap shoulder strap (very similar to the black rapids). I have used it for months & it is now quite worn but very strong. I have found this strap system of managing the camera to be excellent for me. If you have a heavy lens/camera combo & you have back/neck/shoulder problems, take it from me this is the way to go! If I used the neck strap I would pay for it for a week or more, with the shoulder one I can go for hours & not have to pay for after.

The sliding bumper is great & does not imped any shot, just adjust it to suit yourself/style/height/arm length etc. I have my 100-400mm attached to it via it's collar & it is very sturdy/ well balanced & works brilliant.

I have upgraded to the BR 5 as others have mentioned they use here. I bought it a while back from BR USA but it has not yet arrived. I think I will find this one even better because one can put their iphone, keys, money, cards & bits & pieces in the strap which was limited in my first version...so I can't wait to get it
    Imagine a world without photography... one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

I Shoot Canon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the optech pro as a neck strap, but i also have the extensions that easily turn it into a shoulder sling type.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can vouch for the R-Strap as well. Have been using that for a few years on a 1D + 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L combo (no lightweight) and amazingly it's very comfortable for all day use. I am a decent size guy though, maybe others of less sturdy frame may not feel the same. Also 3 days straight use does begin to get old, I started to carry the camera by hand... then again I can only imagine how uncomfortable a neck strap would have been!

I have seen some DIY instructions to make something like the R-Strap, but I just went ahead and bought one to save time. (For sale now on eBay.) Having the camera by your side hanging upside down is actually really convenient to quickly grab - it's like a 'quick draw' for your camera!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Lowepro neoprene neck strap, but I rarely ever use it.

I don't like camera straps; they get right in my way and are unsightly things.

So, for a lot of my photography, my strap is a tripod.

If you do want or need a strap, a well-padded model with pouches for flash cards or lens cleaning cloths is a good choice. There should be good gripping material on the shoulder pad so the camera doesn't slip.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the out of box straps, they seem to work fine for me. Generally I hold heavy cameras in my hand even with strap attached so I don't find it digs into my neck

I did use a Neoprene Smugmug free strap, but that's fallen apart so I've gone back to the box straps

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    project no 6743b has moved up the list.....to the top. I lived in fear of dropping stuff on the weekend.......found all the hardware and will make a prototype on the weekend I hope stay tuned lol
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Optech, i think it's the pro series... it's long enough to sling across your body and the camera remains upright.
    It's also very comfy.

Nikon D700 in all it's glory!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got myself the Blackrapid womens strap (in the post today!! ) and after parading it around for my hubby, found that it was soooo comfy, the camera didn't swing from side to side and it didn't poke out either! Can't wait to use it!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast