User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Attn: Canon EOD 450D and xGB SDHC users - help needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attn: Canon EOD 450D and xGB SDHC users - help needed

I had a problem with a memory card purchased off ebay and I am after some comments.

Details:

* My Camera is a Canon EOS 450D - currently using a Sandisk 4GB Ultra SDHC card (works perfectly)
    * Purchased Sandisk 8GB Ultra SDHC card - did not work (format card error)
    * They resent another 8GB SDHC - also did not work (format card error)

Tested the new card in my IXUS IS100IS which is (currently compatible with my current 4GB Ultra SDHC card) and the new card did not work in that one either.

Contacted Canon and they have advised that the 450D and IXUS 100IS works with SDHC cards up to 32GB.

I also contacted Sandisk and they advised that both cards were authentic (but then again, it is ebay). Is this a case of getting sent two faulty memory cards ? I was unable to format the cards on the camera and do not have a compatible card reader for computer so I could not format it on there to test.

Any comments ?
    EOS 450D + EF 50mm f/1.8 II prime + EF-S 18-55mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just keep at the supplier until I either get a card that works or a full refund. If they are a large ebay seller I'm pretty sure they will try to do the right thing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    have you got the latest firmware version installed for your camera? it may be that the 'upgrade' to deal with SDHC cards came with a firmware update, and without installing that to your camera, it can't deal with them?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up getting a refund (through paypal). The seller was playing silly buggers with me and said, and I quote "the memory card you returned had a different serial number to the one we sent out to you - please explain".

However, after I lodged a complaint to PayPal, it turns out that his staff member 'mis-read' the serial number and I (obviously) returned the 'correct' faulty card. The seller has 100% rating and 1,000 + positive reviews so it would seem they are legit.

Rick, I looked into the firmware issue and there has only been one firmware upgrade on the EOS and it does not mention anything about SDHC compatibility on the update - firmware only fixing up a glitch while using a new model speed light. I did email Canon and they advised that SDHC is SDHC. 4GB up to 32GB all works the same ...

I'm at a loss .. I think I will just purchase another 4GB Ultra - since I know that works - but will get this from a reputable place.
    Last edited by stylo; 05-04-2011 at 11:31am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Cheap Chips, here on sponsers. They have a good range and very fast delivery, usually next day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 450D and have used 16GB SD card with no problems...

Perhaps you could invest in a card reader? They arent that expensive and better than plugging your camera in to your computer
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my 4GB SDHC form cheap chips but the lure of the cheaper card from ebay got me. Looks like that is where I am headed for the next card

Emma, what's so good about a card reader ? I've had a few people tell me to get one .. what will I be able to do that I can't do now with the camera .. I know you can format on the card reader, but can also do that on the camera. Thx !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Downloading images via card reader is alot faster than in camera, and imo its safer to use card reader too. Its easy for the camera's USB port to become loose after repeated uses, also the wear and tear on the cover too. I personally dont like having my camera sitting on my desk while it transfers the images to my computer, but thats because I have kids who like to pull things off the desk. But I digress, my main reason was the speed lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stylo, ebay ratings mean nothing, they can be bought generally for 1c each cost to the seller. lucky you got PayPal refund, cuz in the past PayPal isn't helpful with fake/misrepresented stuff. but cards on ebay are a whole minefield I wouldn't go near at any cost. Sandisk are the worst, 90% of them are fake. Next are Transcend, but the fakes don't generally have the brand printed.

how did Sandisk know if the card is legit w/o seeing it?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i took pics of the serial and sent it off to sandisk and they advised they were genuine cards - so possibly just faulty.

i got a replacement card from the seller but that was not in brand new packaging and that did not work either, however once again, sandisk confirmed that was a genuine SD as well.

i am well aware of all the fakes around but i expect even fake cards to work !! these were not fake cards but did not work hence i suppose that is why paypal was quick to get the seller to refund my money.