User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking SS Dicky for a Sunrise...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking SS Dicky for a Sunrise...

OK after a great success and meet-up at Currumbin, I'd like to organise another one - this time a little further away - SS Dicky near Caloundra. I am thinking early May as we will have time to revive after Easter etc. Sundays are good for me always.

Let's aim for the 15th of May depending on how many can attend and of-course the weather. Happy to change dates as long a it is on a Sunday. Someone told me that in order to secure a good spot at the Dicky it's better to start real early like 3/3:30 AM but haven't tested that out - Sunrise will be after 6:19AM
    Cheers DJ

I am a keen learner and always seeking improvement tips from others

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be up for this. I would probably suggest a change in venue though. Perhaps somewhere with more then the one subject would suit a group meetup better. Pt Cartwright isn't much further and there is lots to photograph there, that would be my suggestion.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be up for this.

I agree with terry.langham Pt Cartwright is a great location and not much further.
    Canon 450D with kit lenses 15-55mm and 55-250mm.
    Beginner wanting to improve.
    Thanks for taking the time to review my photo's any constructive comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like SS Dicky, been there before but would happily do it again.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm after "SS Dicky" Seeing it seems like I'm the only one who has'nt had a shoot there yet If I drive from the Gold Coast I'll leave on Saturday and have a sleep over , Someone mentioned there is a Caravan/Camping site next to the beach , Anybody got the name of it so I can book a spot if needed ? A BBQ and Party sounds good for the night before If your game
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Registering interest in this. I've been there heaps but haven't shot there either William so you're not alone.

Might bring the boys up with me and make a weekend of it. The caravan park is right by the beach but I can't recall the name. We got a house for the weekend last time we were there (with another friend and her daughter) and I think it worked out cheaper than the van park.
    Last edited by Paul G; 19-04-2011 at 3:26pm.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    Registering interest in this. I've been there heaps but haven't shot there either William so you're not alone.

Might bring the boys up with me and make a weekend of it. The caravan park is right by the beach but I can't recall the name. We got a house for the weekend last time we were there (with another friend and her daughter) and I think it worked out cheaper than the van park.
    We'll work on that Paul , I have a son that will turn 14 on the 18th of May , Might see if he wants to come along as well then , I'll do some Googling on that Camping site , Will get back later on this thread - Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark me down as interested for this one too. It's beautiful up there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a breaky BBQ between the two spots might be an idea. I am happy to go to Pt Cartwright and leave the Dicky for those traveling from further afield to get better results without other photographers in the frame.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.langham View Post
    Maybe a breaky BBQ between the two spots might be an idea. I am happy to go to Pt Cartwright and leave the Dicky for those traveling from further afield to get better results without other photographers in the frame.
    Terry - I have been to point Cartwright before but never been to SS Dicky. Hence I started this thread for those who are interested for the SS Dicky beach not so much for Point Cartwright. B'fast can be organised anywhere but the main purpose of the meet-up is shooting at dawn at SS Dicky. Maybe a new thread for Point Cartwright at a different date would be good so that we can all attend that one too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.langham View Post

Terry ! How far is it between the two spots , "Dicky" and Pt Cartwright" ? - Bill PS : Yes the Main idea from DJ was to do up "Dicky"
    Last edited by William; 19-04-2011 at 5:18pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be up for this...but I'll leave the camera in the car. The Dicky is a hard place to shoot with a lot of people around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Terry ! How far is it between the two spots , "Dicky" and Pt Cartwright" ? - Bill PS : Yes the Main idea from DJ was to do up "Dicky"
    20mins according to Google maps.

My concern is that you guys that haven't done up Dicky and are traveling a long way get a good opportunity to take quality photos away with you. As you can see in the photos accompanying this article there isn't much to it and if you get too many togs around, it will get a bit tricky. An alternate spot for those of us more local to Caloundra or have shot it before, and a meet up point after sunrise may be an advantage to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Registering interest in this. Haven't been there before. It will be an interesting meeting.
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not been to either of those locations so keen to try both..... is there a rewind button ?
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, just thought I'd stick my head in here and let you know that on the 15th it's a high tide at sunrise, the dicky looks best at low tide, but don't let me stop anyone from going. Low tide is at 11:55pm, so a night time shootwould yield better results. Maybe a few stars and the wreck??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allann View Post
    Hi, just thought I'd stick my head in here and let you know that on the 15th it's a high tide at sunrise, the dicky looks best at low tide, but don't let me stop anyone from going. Low tide is at 11:55pm, so a night time shootwould yield better results. Maybe a few stars and the wreck??
    Hmmmm !! Worth a thought Allann, Be nice to have a full moon also , Allann, Can you get the Water Movement around the Wreck on high tide if you timed it right, Or is it under water ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not my image as i haven't taken any at high tide, but the link is http://flic.kr/p/4yaWRd, another at not so high http://flic.kr/p/8QHJ5d, so you may come away with something special. But for those thinking of going up the night before, don't sleep all night, go out and spend some time getting to know the old girl and try your hand at light painting and long exposures.
    Full moon is on the 17th hence the high tide, so on a clear night it will be lit up very nicely. This is one I took at 10:30pm using mainly moonlight (the hard shadow) and a little fill light from a torch.

This one was taken at "half" tide and I think it works ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Allann Great night shot BTW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Thanks for the info Allann Great night shot BTW
    No probs. It's a great place to visit and so many opportunities for shots. Remember, the wreck isn't the only thing to photograph there. Have a look at my Dicky Beach gallery, only about half the shots are of the wreck for ideas, or better still, come home with something totally unique.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast